“Elegance all to ourselves”
Review of The Midland Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Castlemaine
The Midland Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Castlemaine B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 October 2013

This art deco B&B, inside a magnificent old private hotel is such a find!

The owner Mauro is a delightful host, settled us in efficiently. We took in the sweeping stairs, made our choice of period rooms, and then reveled in the breathtaking sitting room - this room has to be seen to be appreciated. There are some fine quality items in the quirky adjoining boutique, especially beautiful hats, shirts, worth a browse.
Before dinner we made good use of the adjoining bar, another cosy spot to sit and read by a fire, with locals for company.
Spoilt for choice when dining in Castlemaine. We celebrated a major birthday at The Good Table, then an easy walk back for champagne in the private lounge.
Appreciated electric blankets, slept v comfortably.
The breakfast was leisurely and tasty, good coffee to finish. We wont leave it a decade before finding a reason to celebrate here!

Room Tip: No en suites as such, you have to be ok with old fashioned bathrooms across the hall (one for each b...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 September 2013

My husband and I enjoyed the style of this unique, historic ,charming building and were delighted at the unexpected luxury and space and welcoming atmosphere. We came up from Melbourne with our bikes on the train and crossed the road to this very unique yet economical hotel.

Room Tip: 22 was exceptional with view,spaciousness,style and comfort.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Do yourself a favour and visit Castlemaine by rail. The Midland is an easy walk from the train station, and within walking distance of everything the town has to offer. If you don't feel like walking around too much, The Midland has many spaces in which to make yourself comfortable with a great range of drinks and small dishes. Mauro is a welcoming host who ensures the place, including your room, is perfectly set up and ready to go. He's an attentive host who also makes sure not to interfere with your enjoyment of the hotel. Each time I've visited it's been during the cooler months, and relaxing in front of the wood fire in the main lounge room and the gas fire in the gorgeous, enormous reading room has been a highlight. The garden courtyard is perfect for a bit of afternoon reading, or for a chat over a wine or coffee. Every time I've been, I've noticed something new in the architecture and the decor; The Midland Hotel is such a beautiful treasure. I can't wait to visit during summer.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

There's a lot of great things about Castlemaine, but my favourite has to be The Midland Hotel.

I found it originally after alternative accommodation options were full, and I've never been so happy to miss out on my first accommodation choice. It's literally a minute away from from the V-Line Railway station, and just a couple of minutes away from the wonderful restaurants and attractions that Castlemaine offers.

Mauro is an accommodating and gracious host and The Midland very much reflects his personality and outlook. Each time I've stayed, he's showed me through the hotel and its wonderful rooms (the reading room/library is a personal favourite) through to our room and private bathroom.

The decor is a mix of styles, reflecting the classic nature of the hotel, with some sections reflecting gold-rush era Victoria, with others showing (slightly) more recent Art Deco flair.

The rooms themselves are large, comfortably furnished, and thankfully have no televisions in them. And why would you need one? You're in Castlemaine – get out and see the town, the vintage railway, and some of the other wonderful hotels.

If the weather's warm, make sure you take some time and relax in the courtyard, and if the weather's a touch inclement, well, there's plenty of fireplaces to sit by and read or have a quiet drink.

All told, this is one of my favourite places to stay in Australia and it's only 90 minutes from Melbourne by train.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

A great place with a bit of flair but not over the top, sure beats a drab run of the mill motel, owners were very nice, were expecting us and accomodated us quickly, cosy rooms with a private bathroom with the best shower I have EVER had, and I travel alot. But the clincher is the downstairs living room area, my goodness, next time I'm arriving early and spending the afternoon by the heater reading a book feeling like Gatsby himself.
Kris.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel