“Superb food and drink in a historical setting!”

Star Castle Hotel - Conservatory Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 34 Restaurants in St Mary's
Price range: USD 32 - USD 57
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We ate in the Dungeon Bar, which is a fantastic experience. The food was excellent and the staff were very friendly and welcoming - we only wished we were staying in the hotel! Next time...

Reviewed 28 October 2017

Very relaxed atmosphere, tasty food, good choices. We had our breakfast in the conservatory sometimes as well as our evening meal. Spoilt for choice between here or the Dining room.

RFrancis1, Owner at Star Castle Hotel - Conservatory Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2017

Dear Moya F

Many thanks for the wonderful 5 star review!
Its great to hear that you enjoyed the restaurant atmosphere, food and menu.
We do hope that you will return and stay with us again.

Reviewed 23 October 2017

We stayed at the Star Castle Hotel and ate in the main dining room and in the Conservatory Restaurant. We preferred the latter.

The food is very good in both, but the ambiance of the Conservatory is better. It is a greenhouse at the bottom of the garden but designed as a swish restaurant. Staff were pleasant and efficient and the food was very good. The high spot was the massive vine that covers the entire roof.

Dear SergeLourie

Many thanks for taking the time to review our Conservatory restaurant.
It is great to hear that you enjoyed the dining experience in our conservatory, ordained with the vine along the roof. I am glad you enjoyed both the service and the food.
We do hope that you will stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 23 October 2017

October probably isn't the best time to appreciate the venue but it was still very nice. Although it was pitch black outside it still felt quite bright inside with the white walls and lots of windows, even though it was rather difficult to read the menu in the low level lighting.

Decent selection of wine, I found a very good South African Chenin Blanc. A rather nice crab amuse bouche went down well. Of the 3 choices of bread I chose wrong in the apparent focaccia. It wasn't really a focaccia and was also rather dry. I left it.

The starter prawns with celeriac was very tasty indeed, but the king prawns were a little small and with just 3 I felt wanting more prawn. Then my fish main course was very good, perfectly cooked, a good portion size of fish, however the 3 small potatoes and asparagus again left me wanting more. The spinach, slightly creamed was gritty so I left it.

We unusually decided to have a dessert, caramelised banana mille-feuille was very tasty but very small. Three sugar crusted slices of banana on cream on a mille-feuille base looked and was small. If it had been twice the size it would have been a winner as the flavour was excellent.

This is a really nice place, good service, good food with a few notable exceptions, but unless it is only catering for people who have had a large lunch the portion size is too small. It is succeeding in serving food at the higher level and with a few tweaks this could be quite excellent.

Dear Mike C

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Conservatory restaurant and thank you for the 4 stars.

I am so pleased you enjoyed the overall dining experience as well as the wine. We will certainly take your feedback on board, the menu portions are designed based on customers taking all four courses, I am sorry that the portion sizes were not big enough, I will be sure to pass your feedback on to the team for future reference. We have in the passed had complaints about the portions being too large so will continue to tweak our menu sizes accordingly.

I do hope that you will return and stay with us again.

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

Dry scones, microwaved to try and freshen them up. They agreed they were stale and not cooked on site and to be fair they didn't charge us. But should not have tried to serve us. They had no other alternative to offer. Having run out of biscuits earlier!

Dear Mark B

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.
I am so sorry that you experienced such a poor afternoon tea. I am pleased that you were not charged for the tea. Our afternoon tea is normally cooked onsite so I am extremely sorry that on this occasion this was not the case. We will be exploring with our Head Chef why this was not the case.

Many thanks