Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
1,541 results
All reviews executive room short drive spacious rooms wine list jacuzzi chateau saint town bordeaux bikes grandeur figeac pomerol vines sommelier
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 September 2016

Don't get me wrong. The pictures look beautiful.The staff seem great on the phone. This place did a wonderful job marketing its location and building. But beyond that, this place offers very little. Overall, it just sucked.

First do NOT eat at their restaurant. What a waste. My reservation was at 830. I arrived at 830. It took them until 915 to give me a glass of water and until 945 to take my order...a full hour and a half after I sat down. They completed messed up each dish I ordered. They forgot to bring my drink, forgot to remove prawns from a dish because my wife is vegetarian, forgot to ask if I wanted dessert, and forgot to bring me a bottle of water. The manager Fabrice said that he was sorry because "another table was seated at the same time as us." Is that really an excuse? Why have two reservations when you only have the professional capacity to serve one? Great excuse from subpar management.

The WiFi never works. Ever. Trust me.

We were moved out of our room after a night because the ceiling was leaking from the air conditioning.

Also, there is no air conditioning and the rooms gets super hot.

I never write bad reviews. However, this experience just sucked. Stay somewhere else.

Room tip: "Stay somewhere else. Not worth the horrible service"
Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank dhruvdatta7
Mehdi R, Directeur général at Chateau Grand Barrail Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2016

Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your comment further your stay in our property.

I'm really sorry that you were not satisfy of your experience in our hotel.

For your air conditionning, unfortunately we have a problem this day in this room that could arrive. My team propose you to move room during the technician could repare it, and you were upgrade in a Deluxe Room with no charge.

For the restaurant, I think there is a misunderstanding because, may be you wait a little, but not 1h30.

For the Wi-Fi, it works, but sometimes during the day it depends of how many guest are on the system. We will offer in the few weeks a better wi-fi with optic fiber.

We remain at your disposal,

We hope to welcome you again in Grand Barrail,

Best Regards,

Reviewed 7 September 2016

We had originally booked for 5 nights, paid in advance and were really looking forward to a relaxed stay after a hectic week in Bordeaux. We had booked a deluxe room with a balcony for my husband our 9 year old son and I. We were given a luke warm welcome from reception staff and immediately alarm bells started to ring. We had pre booked dinner at the hotel restaurant. Incidentally, the bar is not really a bar, more of a vestibule to the restaurant. Our room was small for 3 people we had to rearrange it to make more room for our sons camp bed. We went down for dinner and despite being advised by email before our arrival to book early as it was a busy time for the restaurant, it was empty when we got there (8.30pm), gradually we were joined by 3 other parties. The restaurant was VERY formal, so much so that our little boy felt really uncomfortable, and was close to tears. There are no options for children's food available, he had to have half size course of the menu on offer. The food was good, but not 'gourmet', portion size was small, even for french standards. The staff were almost afraid to be friendly and worst thing about it was the deathly silence in the room. I honestly think it was the most uncomfortable meal I have ever had. We were ignored for a good 30 minutes by the staff and eventually we had to ask for a menu, and for our order to be taken. I think unless you are prepared to partake of their extensive but very expensive wine menu they are not interested in you. We put the unusual atmosphere down to settling in and were determined to enjoy the rest of our stay but avoid the restaurant...Stupid idea really, next day we decided to use the pool and checked if it was ok for our son to use the jacuzzi we were told yes as long as we were with him. The heated pool was cold, so my husband and son decided to go to the jacuzzi, no other guests were around so it was a good time to bring him there. After a few minutes both my husband and son were told to leave the jacuzzi as children aren't allowed there by a different member of staff. The hotel should make its mind up on its policy. After that fiasco we took time to convince our son to try to learn to ride a bike as they had kids bikes there. My husband asked at reception could he use a bicycle, to be told no they were all booked and he hadn't booked a bike, he went on to explain it was just for about 10 minutes to try to teach our son to ride a bike. They reluctantly allowed him to borrow a bike and he returned it 5 minutes later. Meanwhile I had enquired if they had a larger room available for the remainder of our stay there, they said there would be for an additional €165 per night, so I asked to see it before I agreed to move to it, I was told no that wasn't possible. if I wanted it I just had to take it. Obviously I didn't take it without seeing it first. Later that evening we decided to relax and have a casual bite to eat in the 'bar' area, we met the reluctant waitress and placed our order and told her we would eat on the terrace, she said we couldn't sit there as the tables were for people having dinner at the restaurant. Fine, we sat on the terrace at the lounging area where guests relaxed after dinner, a low table with ashtrays on it, but it was fine, an hour later the same waitress asked us what did we want? We were a bit surprised, and said the food we ordered an hour ago? She claimed it wasn't her and at this stage I decided to formally complain about it to the manager. While I was complaining at reception our food arrived, no apology, no explanation, nothing. We had enough, and decided to have a chat to the manager next day and to leave early. The manager was a very nice lady who apologised for all the things that went wrong, couldn't understand how it had happened and agreed to return our prepaid nights that wouldn't be used. On the final invoice we realised we had been charged a €40 rental fee for the use of the child's bike for 5 minutes, again I had to go back and ask for it to be rectified. This hotel / chateau is not suitable for children, its a one night experience at most for adults, but please don't be fooled in to thinking it is relaxing, gourmet and luxurious. It is an old chateau, yes the original part of the building is beautiful, but small, the rest of the hotel is new, and not very luxurious, but adequate. The area is green, pretty and off a main road to St. Emilion which is a good 7 kms away so unless you have a car its not ideal. This hotel is a rip of the tourist, without any kind of customer service and minimum facilities in reality.

Room tip: Book a suite if you have more than two in your party.
Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank MonikaM251
Rosa B, Responsable réception at Chateau Grand Barrail Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2016

Dear guest,

It was a real pleasure to greet you during your stay, I was the manager who spoke with you several times before your checked out time.
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your point of view. To be honest, when you left the hotel you told me that your stay it was nearly great so I am very surprised to receive such as a detailed comment from you. During your stay, we tried all the time to help you and to feel you like at home.

It is truth that you didn’t have chance at the restaurant the first two nights and even at the spa with your child (bad communication between the services) but we tried to make to you a very nice stay and from the first time you came to the reception to let me know about your inconveniences, I shared your comments with our team for appropriate immediate action.

Maybe a stay for 5 nights in our hotel with a child in High season it wasn’t the best idea but we always welcome families at the hotel and the most of the guests are happy to spend some days with us.
Be assured that our hotel is a familiar hotel.

Our main priority is provide our guest with the best quality of service and I deeply hope you will give us the chance to change your mind about our property next time,

With my warms regards,

Rosa BELLON
Front of House Manager

Reviewed 4 September 2016 via mobile

Having previously stayed in a very basic bite on a previous trip to Bordeaux, we decided to upgrade to a luxury property this time. We are SLH fans, and once again their properties have impressed. The setting of this hotel is simply breathtaking, and never failed to impress. The room was large and comfortable, and generally well-appointed. All staff members were friendly and helpful, and willing to patiently tolerate our appalling French, or switch to English when our words failed us. Only thing to be improved is the WiFi service, as it was generally slow, and seemed to stop altogether around 10pm each evening.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Mehdi R, Directeur général at Chateau Grand Barrail Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2016

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your kind review on the site.

I'm really happy that you enjoyed our property, your room and all my team.

Your comments and suggestions are very important for us, always to improve our service.

For the wi-fi, we are currently looking for fiber optic to improve our wi-fi service, but it takes a long time to have it.

I hope to welcome you soon,

Best regards,

Reviewed 2 September 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for four nights using it as a base to tour the wine region. The hotel is stunning and looks like a Disney castle as you drive down the drive.
The service was excellent from start to finish and nothing is to much trouble for reception
We hired bikes and road into st. Emilion, easy going in but make sure you get the correct road out so as to keep to roads that are not too busy
Visited a winery and if you get a chance go to Château
Saint Christophe where a personal tour is only 15e per person and not the rip off you see advertised in other adverts
The tour is very informative and a chance to sample some outstanding wines
Back to the hotel, had dinner fist night and it's fine dinning, the maitre d' was brilliant, waiter excellent and recommended a good wine. Expect to pay 200 euros but possibly bit to much emphasis on presentation
Try the pre dinner champagne, delicious
The rooms are large and well equipped,
Taxi ride into st Emilion is 20 euros and loads of places to eat their
Overall this is a lovely hotel, and wood recommend for service, location and exceptional staff

1  Thank geoffg153
Mehdi R, Directeur général at Chateau Grand Barrail Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2016

Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your kind review after your stay in our property.

I'm really happy that you enjoyed your experience, and our service during your wine trip in our area.

Many thanks again, and hope to see you soon,

Best regards,

Reviewed 1 September 2016 via mobile

The hotel is amazing, a small Chateau in the middle of the vineyards. Service is great and breakfast is of the strongest points. We didn't try the restaurant, but it should very good as well. Go for a bike ride in the sunset or a calm breakfast in the porch. Wifi was very bad and was a minus. The air-conditioner was not working properly, but we did not have time to complain. Really recommend

Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your comments about your stay in our House.

This a pleasur to see that you enjoyed our Castle, Restaurant and service.

Your opinion is very important for us, and suggestions too. We are actually working about the Wi-Fi to propose you soon something better.

Hope to see you soon,