See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 March 2013

hotel located in paradise...Beautiful beach just in front of the hotel, warm, safe crystal clear ocean...hotel surrounded by nature, you swimm at the pool listening to the birds and drinking tropical drinks, a perfect destination for families, couples, or anyone who wants "to get away from it all"...breakfast was just ok, just like the room, which could be a little bit more confy, and could have things such as toiletries, modern tv, etc...A very good experience, anyway.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dannydanny2
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Our family stayed at this hotel for 5 days and it was a very nice experience although there are a lot of things that can be improved. The place is wonderful, the rooms were nice and well cleaned, TVs and air con worked well, bathrooms were ok too. The food was very, very good and the caipirinhas well made.
The bad points are mostly about maintenance. Many of the sun beds were broken, the games room that were supposed to offer pool, snooker, table soccer and table tennis were a disaster. Nothing worked properly and it was easy to see that they were very old and falling apart. A real pity. The website also said that they offered snorkelling but when we asked for the equipment in the reception the answer we heard was: it shouldn't be there, I've already asked the website people to take it out. Pretty bad...
One serious thing was that they don't have a first aid kit. My sister had a bad cut in her foot and the hotel couldn't even provide a plaster. Not only that but the receptionist gave really bad advice on what to do with the cut when I asked for the first aid kit (I'm a qualified first aider in England). It's a shame that a hotel can't provide a first aid kit so just in case, bring a small one.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank AndreaD4
Reviewed 12 January 2007

I went with my wife for a week last December.

This hotel has some good and bad things.Depending on each one's likes and interests, it can be great or average. So, I will point out each feature, so you can make up your mind

Location: Quite far from the "villa". Daily transportation in small vehicles is provided at the hotel to and from the villa on fixed schedules, which must be booked at the hotel. The trip takes around 20 minutes, not much, but after a week I begun feeling like it took 1 hour. You are definitely far from the action (villa and first and second beaches), where you have more restaurants, shows, etc.

Beach: Quite desert, the only hotel is Praia do Encanto, giving a very relaxing atmosphere.
The sea is very good, rocky in some places, but other than that, calm and transparent waters. Avoid rocky places or bring your water shoes (you cannot buy them in Morro).
For some this may be a turn-off: from the beach you can see two oil platforms (far away but viewable). These are not seen from other beaches in Morro.

Restaurant: The indoor restaurant looks pretty old but the key here is the restaurant/bar by the sea. At night you can hear nothing but the sea while enjoying dinner. Prices are reasonable. Not all juices served are natural, so ask before asking so you can enjoy a fresh, just squizzed juice.

Rooms: Very plain, just a bed, one small table at each side and a (12") TV. It has cable, but only 10 channels, all of them in Portuguese...The AC works fine, wich was essential because the heat is unbearable. The bathroom is small, with shower and no tub.
The resort is in the middle of the jungle, and because of that, some bugs can sneak into your room. We found two small lizards, one baby crab and couple of small spiders.
I know that some don't care about these things, but I do.

Staff: Very friendly. My wife speaks Portugese, so things were easier for us. Altough most seemed to have a vey limited English language, they try hard!

Breakfast: Not as complete as in most Brazilian hotels I've been. Some not natural juices (i.e. made with canned pulp), and not many choices (again, for Brazil standards).

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
9  Thank Bostero
Reviewed 7 October 2006

My partner and I stayed at Praia do Encanto for six nights as part of our 3 week honeymoon trip round Brazil. It was our last port of call after a hectic few weeks - and boy - did we relax!! I'm not going to go into great detail because the previous review from the person from Madeira is excellent and really covers everything - thanks! It was on this recommendation that we booked.
The hotel is wonderful - waking up in our two storey chalet in a beautiful comfortable bed with the sound of the breeze in the palm trees, the waves on the beach, the little monkeys chattering and the birds singing. Then to breakfast - a treat every morning with lovely fresh fruit and juices, breads cakes and YES, the guava jam! Then sit by the pool - there was hardly anyone staying there when we were there being winter, but still HOT! A few beers, a strole to the coral pools, and then lunch! Beautiful menu, so well cooked, not all Brazilian fare, try the lobster, even the spag bol is really good! The staff were all great, they don't speak any english apart from Carlos - he is limited to 'hello my friend!' - but this wasn't a problem as my partner is brazilian! I've never been looked after so well, and I've stayed in loads of hotels worldwide being an ex-flight attendant.
We went to the town a for couple of evenings -it's really cool, probably like Ibiza was 30 years ago. Totally relaxed, don't get dressed up! Some good restaurants and bars, lots of shops and stalls. However, the journey on the hotel bus or truck is a pain especially after a big meal and lots of wine! Bumpy and very uncomfortable for 1/2 an hour. So if you want to go out every night, stay near the town.
I'll look back on our stay with very fond memories for a long time - and who knows, next time we are in the NorthEast, we may head back.
If you want more info email me at andybuckmaster@hotmail.com.
Thanks Neide for making our stay so wonderful! Andrew & Jose

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
8  Thank pocoroco
Reviewed 3 January 2006

You may have been led to believe that the Brazilian national sport is soccer. That is incorrect. It is actually drinking at the beach in a plastic lawn chair. If you want to appreciate this sport firsthand, you can do no better than to stay at the Encanto de Itapoan.

An utterly fantastic seafood restaurant is just around the corner. US$20 for two lobsters, a good wine list, and good service. Arrive early on weekends.

The beach (with fresh water showers and shaded shelters), is about 100 feet from the front door. Leave your gear at the hotel and walk. You can rent shade for about R$2/bottle at any of the bars on the beach. If you want to go swimming, leave your wallet with the bartender and jump in shallow water protected by a natural reef.

Bring your own snorkel and mask. If the tide is low, you can practically walk to the outer reef. We saw plenty of eels and an aplysia the size of a football. The coral isn't healthy, so try not to step on it.

If you want a snack, walk further along the beach to the main town (see picture). The beach shacks all serve good, cheap food, where you can hang out and stuff yourself for the better part of a day. I would have liked to spend more time doing this than traversing Pelhorinho.

If you're on the main beach, hold on to your purse and keep it away from railings. We saw a boy climb up a balcony and snatch one. He ran away, purused by the restaurant manager, two bystanders, and a police car. The Salvadoran's don't approve of crime, but it happens.

I'm glad that we stayed at Ecanto de Itapoan instead of at one of the big places near town. The rooms are small but well furnished, each with a deck and hammock. There's no view from the deck, but that's what the beach is for. The TV gets CNN. The owners (Janet and Octacilio) clearly want you to have a good time. They post a weekly list of all the good music events in Salvador. Breakfast has a slightly British touch and a different fresh juice every day.

Public transport is easy, too. Take any air-conditioned executive bus (R$1.30) to Sao Cristavao shopping center, and transfer there. If you go to see the turtles at Fuerte (and you should), try to take a city bus instead of a shared van. Same price (R$7), more comfortable. A taxi won't get you there any quicker.

10  Thank Hawfe