All reviews free shuttle chumbe island close to the airport raintree restaurant beautiful jetty operations manager r r quiet location seafood calamari spice farm the hotel manager a wonderful stay beach hotel rooms are clean the hotel offers sea view
Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

The hotel is situated not far from the airport, is a great quiet location... no other hotels around. Situated partially in the mangroves. But still beautiful. It has a jetty out in to the sea with great views of the coastline. The restaurant is elevated amongst the trees with amazing views for dinner, breakfast and lunch .
I was there 3 nights and ate dinner there twice. First evening had the kingfish in a banana leave... gorgeous. The third night I had the seafood salad. It was ok but nothing amazing. In fact it took me a while to find the calamari... and probably only had 1/2 A prawn in total. It was topped with cubed fish... would have preferred much more calamari and prawn though.
Staff were lovely, room was nice, bed comfy with lovely views. Only downside was when AC was on cold. It leaked over the bed. But least the room was cool at night.
The hotel offers a shuttle 3 times a day in to town and pick up 2 times.... very handy

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

We are extensive Marriott travelled and chose this place because it was associated with the marriott franchise. It is a marriott wannabe, not a marriott. The property has so much potential but the maintenance is lacking. We were placed in the "newly renovated" section. The shower tiles were mildewed, water leaked under the shower doors and doors were chipped. Once we complained the staff did "try"and attend to it but I feel they are not adequately resourced by the holding company. They are way understaffed.

The beach is not really a beach. Is a sand bank amongst mangroves and most of the time the tide is low so you end up walking over 1/4 km out to the water.

Internet is non existent most of the time.

Even though we are gold members (that's why we chose a marriott property) we still had to pay for breakfast. Marriott should look into this.

The restaurant staff is friendly and helpful but need more training.

I would rate this as a hotel itself with a big 0. The only reason it is a 3 is because I rate the staff as 5. They are trying their best under the circumstances to make amends for the lack of proper amenities. Despite their best attempts to take care of what is lacking, there is only so much they can do to put bandaids on.

The hotel provides a shuttle to stone town which is a nice plus.

I would not recommend this property if you are looking for a beach holiday. You can see the receded tide in the photos.

It is away from stone town but the shuttle is helpful and if shuttle doesn't run at the time you want to go, you can get a taxi for $10.

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank arndtheworld
DinishAntony, Group General Manager - Protea Hotels by Marriott(Dsm/Znz) at Protea Hotel Zanzibar Mbweni Ruins, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2017

Dear arndtheworld

Good day, thank you for staying with us and taking time to write this review. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I assure you that enough financial resources have been allocated towards the renovation and upgrading of the property. We had identified a few issues with the renovated rooms and the contractor has been asked to finish all pending works & address the snags which will be done from the 20th September onwards as we are fully booked till then. We hope to finish all renovation works by January 2018 and I promise you that you will be able to notice the visibly positive changes. We have discussed your feedback quite seriously with the STAFF and necessary corrective actions (including retraining) will be taken. We look forward to host you again & offer you a 100% satisfactory stay. Kindly accept our sincere apologies once again.

Dinish Antony

Reviewed 20 August 2017

It was my first stay at this property and I didn't know what to expect!

At the end of our vacation in Zanzibar I decided with my wife to stay for a short period of time at Protea Hotel by Marriott Zanzibar Mbweni Ruins. We could have chosen more days in this GEM as we had a wonderful time and we enjoyed everything in our experience: the breakfast, the view from our room and balcony, the beautiful beach as well as the service and the friendly staff.

The room was clean and beautiful and it was the closest to the beach (#11). The staff at the reception and the restaurant were very friendly and helpful. I've seen the Manager late in the evening as well as early in the morning talking to guests and liked how he approached us.

I would highly recommend this place.

Room tip: Beautiful room with a very nice balcony, so close to the beach that you could hear the sound of the wave!
Reviewed 10 August 2017

My husband and I stayed at Protea Hotel by Marriott (Zanzibar Mbweni Ruins) for 6 nights in July. Even though a part of the resort was being renovated, it didn’t have any impact on our stay. We enjoyed walks by the beach, meals with a view of the sea and dates by the pier. The food was lovely and the staff was very warm and efficient. Over three time slots during the day, the hotel arranges drop-offs to, and pick-ups from Stone Town – which makes it very convenient to plan your itinerary. A special thanks to Shekhar, the manager. He always went the extra mile to ensure we had a great trip. He would not only guide us on the best things to do in Zanzibar he would also help with making arrangements. He helped us plan our trip from the minute we booked our stay at the hotel, even before we landed in Zanzibar. That made all the difference because after we landed all we did was execute our plans and soak in all the wonders of Zanzibar. It was my husband’s birthday on the last day of our trip in Zanzibar. Shekhar and the staff at the restaurant set up a romantic lunch date for us – one that we will never forget (the food was great too!). I hope to return to Protea some day.

Date of stay: July 2017
Reviewed 7 August 2017

Very beautiful boutique beach hotel, close to Stone Town and ZNZ airport, but secluded in a corner of tranquility. Rooms are spacious and preciously furnished as well as equipped with nice own terraces fronting ocean. The hotel garden is simply amazing, better than every spice tours you could ever get. The historic charm is everywhere and the care of detail is surprising. Expect more than a Marriott standard.

Room tip: As close as possible to private beach !