“Wonderful property away from Zanzibar hectic rush”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Zanzibar Mbweni Ruins
Ranked #17 of 33 Hotels in Stone Town
Reviewed 7 August 2017

Very beautiful boutique beach hotel, close to Stone Town and ZNZ airport, but secluded in a corner of tranquility. Rooms are spacious and preciously furnished as well as equipped with nice own terraces fronting ocean. The hotel garden is simply amazing, better than every spice tours you could ever get. The historic charm is everywhere and the care of detail is surprising. Expect more than a Marriott standard.

Room Tip: As close as possible to private beach !
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

This was my first stay at this excellent Marriott property. In Zanzibar for business and a bit of R&R with my wife it was convenient to Stone Town and my business meetings. We pulled into the resort and knew immediately this was the right pick. Had an exotic feel with all the accommodations you would want, it really checked all the boxes for us. Large spacious rooms that were very clean, secure and safe grounds, the staff (all of them) were very friendly and a pleasure to meet, great views of the water and white sands, beach & pool. I cannot say enough about it.
As a platinum elite Marriott member I can highly recommend this Protea property. Further I do know they are in the midst of updating the rooms. We will be back and plan on bringing our kids the next time!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

Great Hotel to visit...Been to many hotels all around the world and this one is unique with its very friendly staff which became family too.
Shekhar, Nico, and Issa and all the staff were great with their warming hospitality and being helpful with everything I requested.
A smile every morning from everyone makes your soul blossom...

I can honestly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 July 2017

Special location as it is next to ruins. Some part is under renovation, so there was some noise. The Hotel told me before, so I was aware of it. The view is also very nice, the beach is quiet. There were some guests from outside the Hotel. The Food at the restaurant is good. Breakfast is not very good. There are ants in the Food! The rooms are nice. What I cannot accept is that there were bed bugs in the bed. I made Pictures of my legs. Not nice at all. The manager did not believe me. That is not professional! I can’t recommend the Hotel at the moment. Sorry, but if you don't believe me, I can't support you. Something like that is not acceptable for a Marriott Hotel!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
DinishAntony, Group General Manager - Protea Hotels by Marriott ( Dsm/Znz) at Protea Hotel by Marriott Zanzibar Mbweni Ruins, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2017

Dear Andreas B

Good day, kindly note that while checking out on 12th June you did not mention this issue to the manager and said that you were overall happy with the stay. This was also not mentioned in the feedback form you filled at the property. But after receiving your mail on 14th June, he assured - after checking the room thoroughly - that there are no bugs and that this may have been caused due to mosquito bites. Please accept our sincere apologies if his reply made you feel that we did not believe you. This definitely was not the intention. He was merely reporting the findings back to you after inspections & offering a plausible explanation for the marks on your legs. In his e-mail he also offered his apologies & enquired what we can do for you to compensate for the inconveniences caused, but no reply was received. The TEAM also inspected all other rooms to ensure that we did not overlook something.

Thanks and regards,

Dinish Antony

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

I visited Zanzibar and stayed at this hotel property for three nights. I can say, staff are extremely kind, hospitable and efficient. I remember Hotel Manager Mr. Shekar was true hospitality professional. Ensured our stay was pleasant. I will recommend my friends to stay there.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
17.8 km away
ZanziResort
ZanziResort
#4 of 172 in Zanzibar Island

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Zanzibar Mbweni Ruins? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Protea Hotel by Marriott Zanzibar Mbweni Ruins

Address: Plot number 143/93, Mbweni Street | Kiembe Samakie, Stone Town, Zanzibar City, Tanzania
Region: Tanzania > Zanzibar Archipelago > Zanzibar Island > Zanzibar City > Stone Town
Bar / Lounge Beach Beverage Selection Business Centre with Internet Access Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Restaurant Room Service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Airport Transportation
#4 Spa Hotel in Stone Town
#4 On the Beach Hotel in Stone Town
#9 Romantic Hotel in Stone Town
#11 Luxury Hotel in Stone Town
Price Range: $188 - $262 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4 star — Protea Hotel by Marriott Zanzibar Mbweni Ruins 4*
The only Protea in the beautiful Zanzibar, Protea Hotel by Marriott Zanzibar Mbweni Ruins provides the perfect choice for both beach and Stone Town holidays in Zanzibar. We are located amidst Mbweni Ruins dating back to 1870s and a beautiful botanical garden. The hotel is ten minutes away from Stone Town, airport, ferry terminal and the CBD of Zanzibar. Protea Hotel Mbweni Ruins is a cozy boutique hotel offering serene accommodations amidst a rare blend of history, greenery and ocean with a beautiful beach. Traditional Zanzibar hospitality at its best is offered at an affordable price. It's a hotel that complements your travel style. The site where the hotel is built was once an old Arab house, which was then bought by UMCA missionaries in 1871 to build a school for girls. The hotel makes a perfect base for exploring Stone Town. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hooroo Pty Ltd, Expedia APAC, Evoline ltd, Booking.com, Wotif.com, Agoda, Odigeo, lastminute.com.au and Hotels.com so you can book your Protea Hotel by Marriott Zanzibar Mbweni Ruins reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Hotel Mbweni Ruins