All reviewsfree shuttlequiet locationcalamarispice farma wonderful stayseafoodbeach hotelthe hotel managerthe hotel offersprison islandmangrovesmarriottsunsetzanzibartidesafariafrica
Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

This was my first stay at this excellent Marriott property. In Zanzibar for business and a bit of R&R with my wife it was convenient to Stone Town and my business meetings. We pulled into the resort and knew immediately this was the right pick. Had an exotic feel with all the accommodations you would want, it really checked all the boxes for us. Large spacious rooms that were very clean, secure and safe grounds, the staff (all of them) were very friendly and a pleasure to meet, great views of the water and white sands, beach & pool. I cannot say enough about it.
As a platinum elite Marriott member I can highly recommend this Protea property. Further I do know they are in the midst of updating the rooms. We will be back and plan on bringing our kids the next time!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

Great Hotel to visit...Been to many hotels all around the world and this one is unique with its very friendly staff which became family too.
Shekhar, Nico, and Issa and all the staff were great with their warming hospitality and being helpful with everything I requested.
A smile every morning from everyone makes your soul blossom...

I can honestly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Stefan K
Reviewed 22 July 2017

Special location as it is next to ruins. Some part is under renovation, so there was some noise. The Hotel told me before, so I was aware of it. The view is also very nice, the beach is quiet. There were some guests from outside the Hotel. The Food at the restaurant is good. Breakfast is not very good. There are ants in the Food! The rooms are nice. What I cannot accept is that there were bed bugs in the bed. I made Pictures of my legs. Not nice at all. The manager did not believe me. That is not professional! I can’t recommend the Hotel at the moment. Sorry, but if you don't believe me, I can't support you. Something like that is not acceptable for a Marriott Hotel!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
DinishAntony, Group General Manager - Protea Hotels by Marriott ( Dsm/Znz) at Protea Hotel Zanzibar Mbweni Ruins, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2017

Dear Andreas B

Good day, kindly note that while checking out on 12th June you did not mention this issue to the manager and said that you were overall happy with the stay. This was also not mentioned in the feedback form you filled at the property. But after receiving your mail on 14th June, he assured - after checking the room thoroughly - that there are no bugs and that this may have been caused due to mosquito bites. Please accept our sincere apologies if his reply made you feel that we did not believe you. This definitely was not the intention. He was merely reporting the findings back to you after inspections & offering a plausible explanation for the marks on your legs. In his e-mail he also offered his apologies & enquired what we can do for you to compensate for the inconveniences caused, but no reply was received. The TEAM also inspected all other rooms to ensure that we did not overlook something.

Thanks and regards,

Dinish Antony

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

I visited Zanzibar and stayed at this hotel property for three nights. I can say, staff are extremely kind, hospitable and efficient. I remember Hotel Manager Mr. Shekar was true hospitality professional. Ensured our stay was pleasant. I will recommend my friends to stay there.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 July 2017

We had a great time at Mbweni Ruins. We recently spent 4 days at the Hotel. The location is great, nice clean beach and a beautiful jetty.

Most important the staff was extremely friendly and provided great personalized service. The hotel Manager and operations manager Shekhar made sure that our stay was comfortable and memorable. The food at restaurant was great and the service excellent. We had dinner at the jetty twice, and even though it is some distance from the kitchen, the staff gave us excellent service with a smile.

Overall a great hotel and wonderful staff

Stayed: July 2017