“A ‘Must Do’ experience - Pamper yourself at Mrembo Spa, Stonetown!!”
Review of Mrembo Spa

Mrembo Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Mrembo (Kiswahili for beautiful, sophisticated woman) is a small, unique spa specializing in traditional beauty treatments from the Zanzibar Archipelago.Only locally grown flowers, herbs and spices are used in Mrembo's 100% natural remedies.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Whenever I am visiting Zanzibar this is a ‘Must Do’ experience! Chill out at Mrembo – Swahili word for a beautiful, sophisticated woman who likes to pamper herself! I was most fortunate to have a rejuvenating full body and facial massage from Asha with Singo oil (my personal favourite). After an hour and a half both my body and mind felt renewed – Asante Sana Asha! Incidentally Asha is blind and her sense of touch is ‘blessed’. Mrembo offers many treats from massage to scrubs, pedicures and henna application at a good price point. It is a fantastic authentic local experience, the products are locally sourced, locally made and it employs local! For me a winning combination!

1  Thank Lisa_the_Wanderer
in 7 reviews
"stonetown"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

I really like the experience, the massage is good, nice staff and beautiful store. If you do the massage with oil be sure you have time to go back and have a shower. The price is also good.
I would come back for sure.

Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

I visited Mrembo spa and took a mrembo massage - entire body. There are serious points to improve. I was very dissatisfied. Will not go back due to the points below.

1. Sanitation: Masseuse did not wash my feet before starting the massage. I didn’t just comment. But when she started to touch my face without washing hands after touching my feet. That was UNACCEPTABLE. I told her to go and wash her hands.

2. Noise: for 20 minutes or so, there was constant noises and chatting of staffs. Mrembo spa does not have a separate room unit and only separation they have is kanga (Tanzanian fabric). I couldn’t relax nor enjoy. I told masseuse to tell them to be quiet. But they continued for another 10 mins. Unprofessional.

3. Massage: Below average. No knowledge of pressure points in legs, shoulders and neck. Not relaxing but ticklish feeling especially on the back. I felt i have to go to my masseuse back home in Dar es Salaam to get proper real massage.

Etc.: Too much oil in massage. Restraining using too much will prevent the ticklish sensation.

Unfortunately I did not found the experience neither relaxing nor enjoyable. Was rather frustrating.

3  Thank Jae_Kim_22
gekketruus, Owner at Mrembo Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2018

Dear Jae Kim
Thank you very much for your feedback on our small spa.
I spoke to my team and they explained to me that you were in a very big hurry and they got all confused by this. At Mrembo we are known for our African pace which is to honor time. We always clean the feet before doing a treatment and it has never happened that anyone complained about the hygiene. In your case the therapists tried all to fit you in as you were in a hurry to catch the plane. I have sat down with them and emphasized on the fact that when our customers are in a hurry they should never come to us. I told them to feel free to refuse bookings once they experience a rush or stressed customers as this makes our entirely Zanzibari team unease’s and it is not part of their culture.
We are not a fast day spa and also not a high tech spa where you can go for a quick treatment. We are a traditional spa where you relax and take your time, laugh with the therapists and become part a little bit of Zanzibar culture.
Sorry you did not find what you were looking for.
Regards from Stefanie

Reviewed 20 February 2018

I’m catching up on some reviews so my most recent visit was actually in February 2017.

I have been having treatments at Mrembo for at least 8 years now. I’m such a fan of the whole package the Mrembo offers, that when planning a visit to Zanzibar I actually block out time to spend at the spa and book before I leave home! I have also been known to just drop in for a delicious spice tea.

For the past few years I have also been taking groups to Tanzania and I always recommend Mrembo. None of my group members have ever left disappointed. I always find the staff very warm and welcoming.

I have enjoyed all treatments at the spa and all the therapists are easy to communicate with about what I would like. I usually try to book massages with Asha but I also find Zubeiri to be excellent, particularly when I need some stubborn spots worked on.

The scalp treatment remains a favourite of mine, but a massage and scrub is always a good choice too.

Allow yourself plenty of time when visiting the spa as I think it’s worthwhile soaking up the atmosphere of a different type of spa than most of us are used to, eg. watching coconut oil being made while sipping on tea, having a chat to staff about life in Zanzibar and listening to chatter from the streets outside. To me, Mrembo is much more than a spa, it’s an experience.

I’m going to be back in Zanzibar in June and I’m already thinking about what treatments to have this time!

2  Thank Kellie W
See more reviews
Reviewed 16 February 2018 via mobile

Our visit to Mrembo was unforgettable. We chose to try mrembo full body massage and it was amazing. This is a place that supports employment of people with dissabilities,so my masseuse was blind hence her feeling for massage was extraordinary. Both ladies asked at least a couple of times whether all is ok. Even though its very centrally located in a live area, there was some nice chilling music playing so no noise from the outside was heard. We could relax perfectly. There is also a beautiful little shop where you can purchase amazing local products. I wish I had time to try some of their workshops! I highly recommend this place!