“Good grilled fish”

La Cabane du Pecheur
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 June 2018

This place didn't blow us away, but we enjoyed it. The fish, served whole, was tasty. The oceanfront location is modest, but atmospheric. My only real complaint is that grilled fish served at shacks like this Cabane can be more expensive than grilled fish served in nearby restaurants. Both are equally good. Not sure that it makes sense to pay more to eat on a plastic table outside of a shack.

Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

We loved this little gem. Having read the other reviews we decided to give La Cabane a try and we weren’t disappointed ! The food gave us a delicious , authentic taste of Mauritius, beautifully seasoned fresh fish dishes accompanied by Mojitos to die for.

Reviewed 16 May 2018

Fantastic small local place recommended to me by my son who had been working in Mauritius. We were there earlier this month for a mid-day meal. We had fresh fish "catch of the day". We had to wait a bit as they were temporarily out, until a new catch was brought in live in a bucket. Fish was served grilled whole with vegetables and rice. Couldn't have been fresher!
Small informal table seating overlooking the water. They have mojitos and you can also bring your own wind.

Reviewed 11 April 2018

The view from the simple under tree dining area is spectacular, the food coming our of the tiny "mobile" kitchen is pretty good considering the facilities they have to work with. The seafood is as fresh as it gets - if only they wouldn't use ketchup in their sauces.

Do again? Probably not.
View: *****
Food: ***
Service: ****

Reviewed 3 March 2018

Being of Mauritian decent I decided to take my parents and my uncle to this place and after reading the reviews I was excited to be going there but it was a disappointment. We placed our orders for starters which were the fish balls and calamari and waited a good 20mins before we were told that they did not have any so they said they would give us some samosas and gateau piment (chiili cakes). That was fine no big. We then waited another 25mins for them to arrive and they had been fried to within an inch of their life and tasted horrible. If you are used to eating this in your house as I am then you know that they were not good. We all order our mains and we had yet another long wait. I know that that this a shack on the side of the road but when people who have arrived after you are eating before you there is an issue. I had my fish which was nice but had to wait again for the rice or 20mins. My husbands dish arrived after we had all finished and his prawns were over cooked. Also to get the attention of the staff was hard as they do their best not to make eye contact so when we wanted anything we got up and went to the counter. Needless to say I will not be going there again. It is once for the tourist who may not been round the island and sampled some of the great street and local places to eat.