5,503 results
All reviewsthai restaurantbeach restaurantoutdoor showereast restauranthoneymoon suitecooking classskipper danoasis poolcatamaran tripsuperior roomall inclusive packagemain restaurantspecial thanksswimming with dolphinsresident managerlobster nightbeautiful beach
Reviewed 2 August 2007

First time in Mauritius - Les Pavillions was the second leg of our honeymoon. We were shattered to say the least from our safari in south africa so looking forward to a relaxing holiday.
We arrived very late 22.00 and were greeted by staff with a cooling towel and a refreshing drink before checking in quickly. First impressions of Hotel - very relaxed and cosy. Wished we'd arrived in the day.
The restaurant shuts at 22.30 so when we got to our room - junior suite 21 which was stunning - we had a phone call from the manager asking if we'd like food delivered to the room as he was sure we'd be very tired. Bless! We were so excited we said no thanks and freshened up, got changed and went to the restaurant for food instead. Vik the manager greeted us and showed us to our table with everything draped in white linen and covered with beautiful flowers and petals. Talk about making you feel special. We were the only ones in there! Good start to the holiday! Ended up in the Tam Tam bar til 12 mdnt then crashed.
Woke the next morning to a gloriously sunny day then shouted to my new husband to come and see our view - although most of the rooms have a view of the sea - we had no other rooms in front of us. Nothing bar palm trees!
The beach is probably the best for miles - and the view of the waves crashing on to the coral a few hundred yards away from the shore is stunning!!
Snorkeling is great you don't have to go very far to see beautifully coloured and shaped fish - make sure you wear shoes though the coral and sea urchins are sharp. The beach hawkers can be a bit of a pain but a polite no thank you does it.
The beach service is great - cold flannels and pieces of home made pizza brought to you everyday.
Food - good choice. Eat as much as you want of dif cuisines which changes every 3 or so days. The restaurant does get very busy but it's always a good atmosphere Le Provence restaurant is more intimate and u can enjoy a lobster 7 course meal (not included) as a bit of a treat. Stunning! Honeymoon gala dinner in Le Benitier restaurant was gorgeous too which was included.
Entertainment was very good - it's not ravers paradise but that's what's nice about it. Dif singers/band every night.
I realise I'm going on a bit so I will have to draw this to a close. The only really bad point I have to make is that the housekeeping staff could have been a bit quieter! We were on holiday - honeymoon for god sake - and are likely to be having nice long lie ins.....but couldn't because they were pulling the furniture around the rooms - the screeching noise was horrendous!] from 8am til 11am!! Apart from that really lovely place and would def go again x

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
9  Thank willibum
Reviewed 1 August 2007

We stayed in Les Pavillons during the first two weeks in June, and also got married there. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and it is a holiday we will remember for years to come. We stayed in a superior room which has everything you would expect, we didn't find the minibar that expensive (around 2 euros for a beer) bearing in mind prices back home. The room was ensuite with both a bath and large shower. Our room faced onto the beach which was about 10/15 metres away. The beach was very clear, not many people, you could always get a sunlounger. The water was warm and very clear as you would expect. There is a fair amount of coral so you normally have to wear sandals. The beach hawkers are all polite and won't bother you too much. Whilst relaxing on the beach a couple of the lads from the Tam Tam bar will keep you well watered, as well as offering you bites of pizza. The view from the beach is pretty fantastic, as you have the sea on one side and Le Morne mountain on the other, I can't stress how impressive this mountain is.

We were all inclusive which meant that all local drinks were free as well as about half a dozen cocktails (our favourites were the Sunset and Blue Lagoon - but we tried them all!). We really liked the local beers Blue Marlin and Phoenix, better than alot of beers from back home, and we also liked the house wine although real wine buffs might turn their noses up a bit, but there are plenty of wines available outside of the all inclusive option for those kind of people.

We ate in the Etoile de Mer restaurant everyday and the food is of a really high standard, it is a mixture of buffet and table service. Further to previous reviews we didn't feel that the buffets were repetative because for example with the Italian buffet on Sundays the dishes available are not all identical so they do vary from week to week. All the food is cooked fresh and we found it to be delicious. The lunch menu is also varied and caters to international tastes, and the daily specials are very very good. As with other reviewers we experienced birds and a couple of cats in the dining room but it honestly didn't bother us. We ate in the Provence restaurant one night and we have to say it was some of the best food we have ever tasted - its a real fine dining experience. My partner had the lobster option and I had the a la carte, it cost about 160 euros which for 5 courses each and 2 good bottles of wine (as well as 2 live acoustic guitarists) we didn't think was too bad.

In terms of things to do, Les Pavillons is fairly isolated so we spent most of our time in the hotel at the beach relaxing. The hotel provides good watersport facilities if you're that way inclined. We booked a day trip on a catamarran for 75 euros each. It was a brilliant day, we saw dolphins, did some snorkelling and saw some amazing fish, had a really tasty barbecue, and we were constantly attended to by the friendly staff on board, all drinks were included and we certainly took advantage of that. We also booked a day trip to 'il des deux cocos' which again was a lovely day trip, although the transfer was an hour and a half each way. Apart from these trips we would recommend a trip to the crocodile park (where you can walk freely amongst giant tortoises!), black river gorge for amazing scenery, and les chamaral for the waterfall and the coloured earth.

We can recommend les pavillon as a wonderful destination to get married in. As part of our package we were transported to Port Lois to carry out the legal formalities (civil status office, solicitors, supreme court) and we had a very helpful driver/guide who pretty much took care of everything for us. The wedding co-ordinator Manie was helpful and wanted to ensure we enjoyed our big day. The day itself went well, we had a sunset cruise straight after which we would definitely recommend, and in the evening we had dinner at the Benetier restaurant which is at the front of the Tam Tam bar. We had a truely memorable hiccup free day.

In summary if you're looking for a great hotel with friendly staff in a beautiful location for a relaxing holiday / honeymoon you can't do much better than Les Pavillons.

9  Thank Carm19770
Reviewed 18 July 2007

Well what can we say.......... apart from what a perfect holiday!!

We went for the first two weeks of June and having travelled quite extensively over the last few years, staying in some wonderful hotels (as well as the not so wonderful!) we had high hopes..... and we certainly weren't disappointed as Les Pavillons was certainly up there with the best.

On arrival, we were greeted by several friendly staff (and I do mean friendly, not polite!), given a cold towel, glass of bubbly and taken to a seating area to check-in. The reception area looked out onto the beautiful pool and the beach beyond and we felt completely chilled from the moment we arrived.

We were taken to our standard room on the first floor and were a bit worried that we wouldn't have a sea view, but we could see the beach/sea through the palms. The room was lovely, with huge bathroom, sunken bath, separate W.C. and double walk-in shower. Everything was spotless and the furniture modern and contemporary. There was a safe, tea/coffee making facilities, air con, ceiling fan, T.V. (which we didn't even use.... why would you when you are in paradise!), comfortable seats/table out on the balcony. The only slight negative (and I mean very slight) is that standard rooms are closest to the road, although in saying that, it wasn't exactly the M25! You can only really hear any traffic if you are in the bathroom and it was just the odd car/coach. Our room was serviced twice a day and always looked spotless. We didn't see one ant/bug in the room, but had a few small (and rather cute) lizards on the balcony from time to time.

With regard to food, we were all inclusive and thought it was excellent and very varied. Breakfast selection was huge (you must try the freshly made waffles with chocolate sauce!), full hot breakfasts, cereals, fruit etc and even soya milk. The evening meal selection was again huge and varied, normally themed buffets. The hotel even served fresh pancakes in the afternoon's and this was included within the all inclusive rate. We honestly could not fault the food and I don't think we've ever eaten so much. We also found staff very friendly (yes, friendly, not polite!) and made friends with a number of them, especially Swan (pronounced seawan) the desert chef. We never had to book a meal we could just wonder down to the restaurant as it was open until 10.30pm, which was great for us as we don't normally eat until around 9pm. We also tried the Provence restaurant (supplement payable) which was fantastic and probably the best prawns we've ever tasted.

The beach was 'picture postcard' perfect with lots of very comfortable loungers and palm tree's to give you shade if you wanted it. We had 'our spot' on the beach everyday and there was rarely anyone within 30 or 40ft of us. The staff would come and ask us if we wanted drinks at least 4 or 5 times a day and would also walk around with hot mini slices of hot pizza every so often. The sea was very calm and we did try a few watersports as well (of which there was plenty of choice). The sunsets were just perfect and we used to order a 'sunset cocktail' every evening just before the sun was setting.

We treated ourselves to a full body massage during the second week which was wonderful (thanks Wesley!) and used the sauna/jacuzzi a couple of times, although I think the Spa is definitely an area that will need to be upgraded if they make the hotel 5* as it was fairly basic.

We hired a car for a couple of days to explore the island which was fun (don't depend on road signs as they are literally non-existent!), but to be honest the hotel is definitely in the best area, with mountains, beautiful scenery and very near to several nature reserves.

On the whole , the hotel had a very chilled feeling to it, which was perfect for us as we wanted a 'fly and flop' holiday. If you are looking to party, it's probably not for you, although in saying that, there was lively band entertainment every night til midnight which was fun and always got people up dancing.

Overall, we had an absoltuely fantastic time and can totally understand why so many people on here rate the hotel as a 5. We fail to see how anyone could not enjoy this beautiful place as it certainly superceeded our expectations (and we are not particularly easily pleased!). Please don't let the 'odd' bad review put you off as I think they must have stayed at a different hotel... or just like moaning!

6  Thank globeman235
Reviewed 12 July 2007

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, and wanting a smaller hotel, we booked Les Pavillons. Oh dear.

Having stayed in many very good hotels around the world, my expectations were managed, and I knew this wouldn't be the greatest of hotels, but I did expect it to be pretty good all the same.

Upon arriving we were swamped by staff saying hello and asking how we were. I do literally mean swamped as well, there were far too many, and it was far too overwhelming.

We were led to our room (after 30 minutes filling out endless bloody forms), which was a beach fronted "villa". This room was so run down it was incredible. The furntiture was old an tired, the TV hardly worked, it was all very damp, and the bathroom was like something from the 1950s. Also, the room was riddled with ants!!
The bedsheet had a dubious stain on it, and the towels smelt funny.

The gardens outside the room leading to the beach were well kept and were lovely though.

Then there was the buffet food. Oh my god, that food is terrible, I have never, ever had such bad at a hotel in my life - even a Haven Holidays camp in Cornwall when I was 12 had nicer food.

Every night there was this tasteless selection of "cold salad", and it really was the same every night. Tasteless, bland, no seasoning. The main buffet was also trash - there was an Italian night, an Indian night, a Chinese night and so on, they were all hideous - no flavour, no seasoning, and it all tasted the same.

We decided to the the other restaurant, the Provence. This restaurant was MUCH better, although it was empty. The chef knew how to cook and how to flavour food, plus, the staff were much more friendly at this one than the main. However I will stay say that the food is well below the standard I would have expected.

The staff - I think people must get confused between being polite, and being friendly. Yes, most of the staff are polite, but they aren't overly friendly, and most things seemed to be too much trouble for them - especially the reception staff.

I could go on, but I'm not going to - there are plenty of other issues which I have taken up with the Naiade senior management, and I am told that this hotel will close later this year for 10 months referb and staff training. It REALLY needs it.

I will not go back, and I would not recommend it. Spend a bit more and go to a better hotel - I was going to book Le Tousserouk, but changed my mind at the last minute after reading the over-the-top reviews on this site.

15  Thank HantsTourist
Reviewed 9 July 2007

My partner and I along with my sister and her friend have just returned from a FABULOUS 2 week stay at Les Pavillions Hotel in Le Morne on the south west coast of Mauritius.Arriving 21st June Mauritius , departing 5th July 2007 for return to UK.From the moment we arrived in Mauritius we knew we had arrived in " PARADISE".
We had endured a very uncomfortable 12 hour flight from Heathrow with AIr Mauritius... arriving tired and hot we were met at the airport by a rep from Hayes & Jarvis...who festooned us with foral garlandsand give each of us a bottle of water( nice touch). A porter was waiting to load our luggage onto our Mauritours transfer minibus and then we were whisked off to our hotel by a wonderful driver called Aslam who give us a wonderful "tour" and commentry along the way.
On arrival at Les Pavillions we were met by the hotels customer relations staff with wonderful vanilla scented cold towels to freshen up with and glasses of delicious pink champagne. The hotel porters took charge of our luggage immediately we arrived and after the usual checking in formalities we were escorted to our accommodation arriving at our rooms at exactly the same time as the porter with our luggage..wonderful. We had an upper room which we loved..the few steps to climb to our room was the only "effort" we made in the 2 weeks we were there ! The rooms are spacious with lots of wardrobe and drawer space, the beds are HUGE and have a firm mattress. There is a celiling fan as well as air conditioning, bedside and standard lamp lighting as well as overhead.Each room has a personal safe .Bathrooms have twin sinks , a wonderful deep bath and a huge walk in shower stall, separate WC. 1200 watt hairdryer in bathroom. Plug is UK standard 3 pin plug ,if you need to take any appliances with you , hair straightners etc no need for an adaptor .Rooms are cleaned twice a day and I mean CLEANED..they are spotless..staff take so much pride in their work. Bed linen changed every day , towels as often as you like. Beds are turned down at night and our housemaid Carine would take the time to pleat my nightie/ or PJs in a pretty design every night and leave on my pillow..as were my sisters PJs etc in her room. The staff and management make your stay in Les Pavillions a truelty wonderful experience, nothing is too much trouble for them . I have a fear of birds and there are some beautiful exotic birds around sometimes during breakfast or lunch ( this is the tropics after all). Rather than have me feeling axnoius the restaurant manager Vichy arranged for me to have my meals whereever I liked..be that in my room or the Tam Tam Bar ,all this without fuss or having to be asked for. By the way there are no birds around at night so dinning in the main restaurant was fine for me. The food is wonderful. There are different theme nights along with a few table d'ote nights . The staff call them buffet nights but they are more of high class carvery standard. We really enjoyed the Mauritian food and Indian Food nights..lots of time and effort go into making dinning a pleasure for the guests. Staff will carry your plate to the table for you , chefs will follow you around the many wonderful dishes on dispaly explaining what they are etc. We were All Inclusive and I think this is a must as food and beaverages are very expensive, a bottle of still water costs e2.50 ( euros). We had fabulous weather , temps reaching 30 degrees some days and this is Winter in Mauritius !! The beach waiters are great lads , Dlyan in particular who made short work of that long walk back and forth to the Tam Tam Bar bringing me Banana Coladas..always cheery always smiling. Around 12.15pm each day the beach waiters come along with a basket of bite size pizzas as an appatizer for lunch, a wonderful touch. From 3 to 5pm in the Tam Tam bar delicious pancakes are served In the Tam Tam bar (free if you are All Inclusive). Look out for Bali the Tam Tam bar manager and Desiree the beach bar manager both really nice genuine people. Crystal and Linsy are waitresses in the Tam Tam , very friendly smiling and welcoming...the little snacks served when you order a drink in the Tam Tam ( another nice touch ) certainly beat a dish of peanuts. Laundry service is excellent , washing returned in a few hours with knife point pressed seams in trousers etc .Dress code...no bikinis or swimwear at breakfast or lunch nor sleeveless T-shirts for men at breakfast. Dress code at night ranges from casual chic to sparklly spangly, but no jeans for males or females ....after 6.30pm male guests are requested to wear long trousers for dinner with shirt or polo shirt ( no bermudas and T-shirts ) .Sad to say during our stay we noticed a few English guests who obviously thought the dress code was for everyone else bar them . I have to mention the infinity pool..it is breathtaking to look at..takes your breath away on seeing it for the first time when you walk into reception. Seems the pools in Mauritius hotels are more "show" pools, not a critisuim when you have the Indian Ocean to paddle/swim/dip in ( the ocean is warm whereby the pool isnt ). A tip for the beach.... Because of the Coral reef some people may find it better to wear something on their feet if going for a paddle or a swim due to the coral sand. Jelly shoes can be bought in the beach shop attached to the Tam Tam bar or in the hotel boutique. As to currency, we took some Sterling and Euros ..exchanging some Sterling at the airport on arrival for Mauritius Rupees for tips etc etc. All currency is taken in shops , hotels etc . Prices are mostly dispalyed in Maurituis Rupees and Euros though. Our holiday at the Les Pavillions was beyond any expectations we had , we were pampered , made to feel welcome and treated with courtesy and respect at all times. The staff always say it is their pleasure to have to look after you and they really mean it . If you want a really romantic meal do book dinner in The Provence restaurant. My partner and I had a wonderfully romantic meal there and all I can say is the setting was akin to something off a movie set ..it was breathtakingly beautiful.. It was a windless evening with a full moon , we were dining in a little " table for two " gazbo on the beach , the table set with dazzling white table linen flowers and candles , with the Indian ocean lapping at the shore while breakers crashed over the moonlit coral reef and stars twinkled like diamonds in the sky with little fishing boats sitting on the water like water lilies. I had the Lobster Extravagansa menu and my partner the Al la Carte ..it was sumpious ..3 chefs prepared the food as you ordered it ( only 3 couples were dinning the night we went )...we were seranaded by two chaps playing guiatar which was lovely ..not intrusive at all.We plan to return to Les Pavillions in 2009 as the hotel is closing from January 2008 until November 2008 for renovation ( not that we think anything needs done ..its perfect as it is ) ,,,,,but they are changing from 4 star to 5 star. A point here...the star ratings are not like UK star ratings ...Les Pavillions is rated as 4 star...but this is way above a UK 5 star rating..it truely is PARADISE. We had a marvellous holiday and were made to feel very special by very special people with "good kind hearts ". If you are fortunate enough to stay at Les Pavillions please treat the staff with the courtesy and respect they treat you with and have a wonderful holiday ! By the way excuse the spelling ..is it jet lag or too many Banana Coladas..try them ...they are devine( I came home with the receipe) !!!!!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple