Our decision to go to Mauritius was a last minute one, and so we had limited options to choose from within the hotel class and nightly rate that we had in mind. We chose LUX Grand Gaube after reading all the reviews and traveler comments, good and bad.. which all ring true in different ways. On arrival, we were very impressed with the hotel's expansive layout and beautiful setting. We were received well and greeted warmly and swiftly shown to our room, which was clean and comfortable. On closer inspection, however, the room did come across as old and tired, with cracks and breaks in the furniture/mini-fridge/sanitary ware. It wasn't the quietest hotel room I have stayed in either. On the bright side, the room had pretty much all we needed, was spacious, and offered a much appreciated balcony (where we used to have breakfast) looking out to beautiful sea view.
The Hotel: beautifully laid out and in sync with the serenity and natural beauty of Grand Gaube. We loved the fact that the structure of the hotel seemed to be an extension of the natural setting of the location as opposed to overpowering it.
Facilities: If you decide to spend your holiday within the hotel's premises, then there is plenty to do! Multiple beaches (more on that later) and pools, water-based activities (some free, some payable), tennis courts, a golf driving range, a games hall, and a cinema with daily screenings of movies / major international sporting events will most certainly keep you busy. Free wifi is always a plus!
Beaches: LUX Grand Gaube does not necessarily have the best beaches, if that is why you're choosing it. Waters are shallow, in some places muddy, with a lot of weed. Clarity isn't great either for snorkeling.
Staff: Reception staff are wonderful! they are helpful, warm and welcoming. Special thanks to Kishan - he was absolutely wonderful. Cafe / bar staff on the other hand seemed cold and uninterested almost every time. Getting my morning cup of coffee my way seemed like a chore!
Going the Extra Mile: there was something new arranged for guests almost every day, which was really nice to experience. A reception on the beach, outdoor cinema, a Mauritian folk dance, star-gazing, etc are all extra touches that make your stay a little more special.
Location: the hotel is quite far from major tourist hubs and other attractions in Mauritius. We did not want to spend all our time in the hotel and taxis were very expensive. If you choose to stay in LUX Grand Gaube and you wish to venture out, I would strongly recommend renting a car.
Overall... the room itself was not worth the price we paid for it. But in the grand scheme of things... in light of the overall hotel, its facilities, and the beautiful setting that we enjoyed every day, we had a good time. No regrets!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our luxury hotel in Grand Gaube, Mauritius, overlooks the triple-bay beaches, lagoon and spectacular north islets. It exuberates a romantic atmosphere and its rooms all enjoy incredible views of the ocean. Other highlights include its proximity to the vibrant seaside village of Grand Baie, three swimming pools and access to a world-class golf course nearby. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia APAC, Agoda, Booking.com, Wotif.com, Hotels.com, lastminute.com.au, Hooroo Pty Ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your LUX* Grand Gaube reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lux Grand Gaube Hotel Grand Gaube
- Legends Hotel Grand Gaube
- Legends Hotel Mauritius
- Legends Grand Gaube
- Hotel Legend Mauritius
- LUX* Grand Gaube Mauritius