2,821 results
All reviews tony duval superior room water sports half board boat house star hotel water skiing beautiful beach dolphin trip main building our honeymoon swim with dolphins glass bottom boat three star boathouse staff buffet style port louis
Reviewed 15 February 2018 via mobile

First of all, i'd like to express my appreciation at how quickly and easily my stay was booked on the hotel's website.
Once we reached the hotel ( we came well before check in time), without much delay our room was ready. Best of all we were upgraded to a lovely bungalow free of charge!
The staff is very dedicated and they would go to great lengths to make you feel special. From housekeeping department, Jean Baptiste was always ready to provide us with towels, bottles of water and he even made a demo of an elephant towel to the delight of my kids.
The reception staff is equally helpful as they graciously accepted our request for late check out.
However, some of the restaurant staff was not as welcoming and I even noticed two of them murmuring and looking in our direction when we went to take dessert on having checked in at the hotel. I failed to grasp what the issue was about and the way they behaved made me really uncomfortable.
On the whole, the hotel, though in need of some renovation works, is a beautiful place to stay at, with excellent food to relish and the beautiful beach to make the most of.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Tony D, General Manager at Merville Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2018

Dear Mrs Neelum,

Thank you for the one night spent at Merville Beach with your family.

I am pleased to read that all the arrangements made to ensure you had an enjoyable stay with us were highly appreciated.

I shall not miss to pass on your kind remembrance to Jean Patrice, who went out of his way to help you celebrate life and for taking the time sharing his talent to you.

However, please accept my apologies regarding our restaurant members’ attitude. I can assure you that we shall investigate about it and take corrective actions to avoid such issue from being recurrent.

We sincerely hope you will consider a forthcoming visit in a not too far distant future.

Meanwhile, I assure you of my personal attention always.

Reviewed 12 February 2018

Very good choice if you like to relax in a sunny beach. Very good opportunities for scuba diving, swimming and other water activities. If you like to exercise there is a reasonably good gym.
Food and beverages in the hotel restaurants were good. The down side is that there is no other restaurants nearby. From the bar there is great view to the sea.
Beach is great. Though there were too few sun loungers available. There was a rule that if sun lounger was reserved but not used for over half an hour it was released by the beach staff. This didn't really happen. Majority of the seats were reserved already at 7:30 am. Part of them were reserved whole day even though no one used them. Very frustrating.
Orca dive club is located in a Hotel area. Service there was very professional and good and great dive spots are only 5 - 10 min boat ride away.

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Tony D, General Manager at Merville Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2018

Sir,

We are all pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay in the sunny Mauritius and Merville Beach.

Indeed, we do provide a variety of water activities, free of charge, for the pleasure of your guests.

Yet, allow me to mention that we are very close to the town of Grand-Baie where there are lots of restaurants available.

However, I am deeply sorry for the inconveniences you encountered with regards to the sunbed. I am happy, by the way, to mention that additional sunbeds have been implemented and our procedures have been reviewed to enhance our services on the beach.

You are absolutely right; we have a scuba diving centre based in the hotel property for diving enthusiasts as well as for beginners.

Nevertheless, we look forward to see you back to our shores in the near future.

Reviewed 10 February 2018

Stay here for a relaxing holidays. Right from the arrival until check-out, everything was taken care off. The way they receive & attend the guest upon arrival. All your needs and preferences will be noted in the beginning itself and will be taken care throughout your stay. Chef will go out of the menu list and will cook something as per your preferences.
Resort has lot of activities to keep one busy and lot of water sports all free of charge. They do have saga dance shows in the evenings and a phone booth to make calls back home again free of charge. Rooms were clean though a little old decors but a room with sea view will make your stay more enjoyable. We loved the food and specially pizza that was custom made for us. We also liked the fried rice made for us with full of paneer. They do have cycle tours that can be done. The property is located in a quiet place. We were amazed how easy it was for us as they guided us so professionally.

Date of stay: August 2017

Sir/Madam,

It was such a pleasure to host you in our resort.

We appreciate the time you afforded to share your experience with us and I shall not miss to communicate your kind words to all my team who were committed to ensure you had a relax and fun filled stay.

I can assure you that at Merville Beach, no stone will be left unturned in our efforts to continuously help people celebrate life.

Until we have the pleasure to see you back, I assure you of my personal attention always.

Reviewed 8 February 2018

I have been coming to Mauritius for over 30 years and sadly this trip left me feeling blah....
It's hard to describe my feeling about it and I think it had to do with my experience at this hotel and Grand-Baie in general as it is now a crazy and busy tourist spot more worried about money than showing off what this beautiful island has to offer.
My wife and I were here to celebrate our anniversary, first holiday in 10 years without the kids.
Below is my opinion of the good and the bad of what I would class at best a 3 star hotel.

PROS:
Beach - Awesome beach with great swimming area. Nice and clean.
Staff - Cleaning staff work so hard to keep a very tired property afloat. Security at front gate were super friendly and full of advise. Event/Functions planner made our special day so easy and a day never to forget
Room - get a superior room

CONS:
Rooms - old, tired. Bath/showers, who has a both on a hot tropical island. Upgrade with showers only. Mattress very hard and a loud fan.
Don't get a standard room it is like an apartment block on a beach and that's it.
Beach - overcrowded and not enough sun lounges. Hotel asks guests not to reserve their lounges but they do. If you go for breakfast and come and try and get one good luck!
Restaurant staff - not so helpful, more interested in chatting with locals and good looking woman and clearing tables.
Pool - nothing special. The dining area surrounds the pool so it feels like you have someone watching you at all times.
Food - buffet breakfast was OK. I love the fresh bread and pastries but some of the fruit was terrible. We ordered lunch twice when on the beach, took over and hour and it was cold and overpriced.
We had dinner the first night we were there and went to bed hungry. Our anniversary dinner was just OK. again very basic and some of the food came from the buffet!
We ended up walking into town on all other nights for dinner.
Location - If you want to head out from the hotel into Grand Baie its a long walk along the main road with limited lights, street dogs and no footpath for some parts. Its about half an hours walk and not the best experience.
Sadly our trip started off badly, we had arrived after almost a day of travelling to a hot and humid Mauritius. all we wanted to do was have a quick bite and go to sleep. We were showed to our room and then quickly headed downstairs to the restaurant. We were denied entry as I had shorts on(tailored smart shorts). I asked if we could just fill a plate and go upstairs but the restaurant manager wouldn't let me take one more step! I then looked into the restaurant and could easily notice people in very "casual" clothing. I know this is an old tradition of Mauritius but with this being a budget hotel one would think this rule is over the top.

To sum this up, me nor my family will go back. We will head to Veranda Grand Baie where my list of Pros exceed my list of cons.

Room tip: Get a superior room. You will thank me once you have been there and seen where a standard room is located!
Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank brucel679
Tony D, General Manager at Merville Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2018

Dear Mr Bruce,

Thank you for staying to Merville Beach and also for taking the time sharing your experience among us.

Very sadly, I noticed that some assets have not lived up to your expectations and that you did not find the perfect holiday with us. I, sincerely apologize.

Indeed, Grand-Baie has always been a very busy spot, considering that we have lots of hotels in this locality and same are nearby all facilities such as commercial centers, restaurants, nightclubs etc………

Despite the hotel being old-dated; our aim is always to maintain the property to a highest standard possible through continuous maintenance and cleanliness.

‘We make each moment matter by helping people celebrate life’ has always been our vision and purpose. In this context; we have addressed all your issues to the concern Head of Departments in question, where same have been analyzed and actions are underway where required to avoid repetitive issues.

Sir, I am really sorry if we failed in our tasks, however, if you intend to come back to Mauritius and to Merville Beach; I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly, so please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely Always,

Reviewed 6 February 2018

We had a beach front de lux 529. We checked in very quickly , we had been before so everything was familiar to us. We were taken to our room, it was as we expected apart from the fact it was not clean, the floor was dirty, there were ants all over the bathroom. It was rectified by the staff and an insect spray. It all went down hill not the hotels fault......rain and a cyclone , in fact lots of rain. just laid up after We tried to make the most of the good days it wasn't helped by the very expensive drinks (half board ) all inclusive you can drink all day, 8 euro for a warm beer..........!!!!The staff were lovely, Simmi who looked after our room , restaurant staff all very nice. Restaurant ............the tables are very old and never wiped just laid up with cutlery from person before. Chairs are dirty heavy and normally full of bird droppings. The hygiene levels are so bad, perhaps that is the reason we say mice and cock roaches near the kitchen. Food was not great in fact some nights it was awful. ..... There was a few managers that worked in the restaurant one just went round doing nothing (spencer). We had 3 weeks in the hotel so we watched a lot of the stuff going on. The boat house management and staff you could not fault.Khalida the beach towel lady was adorable. The hotel is in need of major
works. It was packed most days we were there. It showed us the owners Lux are not investing in this hotel. Although we were told 10 years ago it was going to be demolished and rebuilt, sadly this hotel has been run to the ground. We have decided not to return , we have always loved the staff the managers Silvio and Tony, are nice guys but really need to deal with the total disrepair of Merville Beach hotel, lastly the entertainment was good, the entertainments manager Edily was great. Sadly because the drinks were double the price they should be , the bar staff hit and miss Vishni,and Akshay,and Anacia worked hard.Always very helpful.

Room tip: Beach front 529 has an enormous tree in front not much of a view
Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Tony D, General Manager at Merville Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2018

Dear Mrs Tricia,

It was such a pleasure to host you again among us.

First of all, I would like to apologize for all the inconveniences you encountered during this particularly stay with us.

However, I must admit that I am surprised reading your discontentment considering that I have met you almost every day as well as my assistant Sylvio, and you never mentioned your dissatisfaction to us. On the contrary; you always mentioned you are having an excellent time with us.

Nevertheless, rest assured that each and every point mentioned have been analysed and addressed with the team and actions are underway where required.

It is a fact that the hotel exist since many years now, but this has in no way prevented us to spare our effort in maintaining the property to the highest standard possible, intent upon providing the maximum comfort to our guests.

Concerning the presence of insects, this is due to the unusual torrential rain and high percentage of humidity we have experienced during several days. Even though, we do contract a well-known pest control company in Mauritius and the latter has an attendant based at the hotel, offering his services, 5 days a week, with the aim to control these vermin.

Regarding our drink prices, I would like to mention that we do align ourselves with other 3* star hotels on the island.

Yet, I shall not miss to pass on your kind remembrance to all the team whom you mentioned.

With renewed apologies if you did not find the perfect holiday this time and trust you will, nevertheless, give us the pleasure to welcome you back. I can assure you that the team and I will be committed to make your future visit a more enjoyable stay.

Sincerely Always,