We stayed at the IC for 9 nights and whilst there are some positives there are numerous negative fundamental issues that need addressing to make this a 5 star establishment.
Excellent staff at the pool bar who were always attentive and helpful, reasonable lunch/snack menu that is sufficiently varied. House wine very drinkable.
Noble House restaurant, Segala restaurant and Veda restaurant- excellent food and staff very attentive with attention to detail. Noble House- I would suggest is the best option and embraces a fine dining experience more than the other 2 restaurants; this is partly due to the time taken to serve and you do not feel rushed. Whilst the food at Veda is good, you are served the starter and main on the same plate (almost like a taster menu) and this seems to complete the meal rather quickly. These eateries must be booked in advance as the other option is the buffet which we personally don’t enjoy.
Rooms- are nicely furnished and a decent size.
The taxi service provided is VERY expensive and is a total rip off- you will be told that the taxi is yours for 4 hours, but the driver will want to know what time you want picking up- this is difficult to estimate especially when you do not know an area. Be aware that there is a potential scam whereby you get dropped off at a restaurant and it is clear that there is some deal between the driver and restaurant owner re the supply of customers. In our case this venue was far removed from the main area of Grand Bay but fortunately we did not stay at the first place and requested to be taken to the main area. We did complain on our return and the staff were supposed to get back to us but this never happened.
The reception staff are generally disinterested and do not portray a 5 star image as I would expect, this is evidenced by the above complaint as we were not informed of any outcome.
Be careful when booking your evening meals as on 2 occasions our bookings were incorrect. 1 night we were booked into 2 restaurants and 1 night we had no booking at all. There seems to be a lack of coordination with this system as they rely on hand written bookings which I find strange in this the 21st century. You will be informed that the restaurant reservation desk will be manned until 8pm, but this is not so.
There is little attention to detail in the rooms- frequently we had towels/ bed linen that were grey and marked as opposed to white and clean. Towels were of a quality I would use on the dog. I did expect fluffy white towels and white bed linen in what is supposed to be a 5 star resort. Sometimes we got 2 bath sheets sometimes only 1. There were a couple of occasions we had no hot water and whilst there was a quick response to our issue it wasn’t always resolved to a satisfactory standard.
All inclusive package seems a little unfair-on arrival the package does not start until your first evening meal and drinks commence at 2pm. On checkout drinks finish at 12md and you can have your lunch until 2pm then all beverages/food have to be paid for. Our previous experience of AI is that food/beverages are free for the entire stay until you leave the resort.
Whilst there are a lot of negatives here it did not spoil our holiday and the issues identified were communicated to resort staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort is located on one of the most pristine stretches of beach overlooking Balaclava, Mauritius. Offering 210 well-appointed rooms including 10 presidential suites, 40 family-type, 20 Jacuzzi rooms, 20 Executive rooms with free WiFi and 120 standard rooms. Facilities include: 3 bars, 5 restaurants, 2 swimming pools including one heated pool, 8 massage rooms, a unique private island, Planet Trekkers kids club, recreational activities, tennis court, 4 meeting rooms & 1 ballroom. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia APAC, Booking.com, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Hotels.com, Wotif.com, IHG, lastminute.com.au, Agoda, Odigeo and HotelQuickly so you can book your InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Mauritius Resort, Balaclava Fort Hotel Balaclava
- Intercontinental Hotel Mauritius
- Intercontinental Hotel Balaclava