1,169 results
All reviews street food seabreeze bar two weeks sea view main restaurant sunset cruise wave bar noodles glass door taba j dogs and cats plenty of sunbeds toilet and shower wraps lobster night mauritian restaurant boat house
Reviewed 11 June 2018

Well before I started to write this I decided to have a quick peek at the low reviews.... and its safe to say that now I wish I hadn't. Im disgusted with the tall magnified stories being written about this wonderful place. I can only imagine these 'holiday makers' in question are either being paid to place a bad review or they are trying to claim some compensation back fraudulently.
The hotel is extremely clean right from the grounds up to the rooms, the staff are always so warm and welcoming, doing everything they can to make you happy. We were even called by our name 'Mr & Mrs Dunn' However the staff pronounced it as 'Dune' which was highly amusing to me and now I prefer it!
The management team were true sports and took up the challenge of taking to the aqua boards in the main pool one Friday morning, with the class being taken by my husband. The whole event was very funny!!
The food is fabulous day in day out. The street food at lunch time catered for us by Tina, Sadna, Wendy and the others was.... well I have no words except Ive gained 9 whole pounds in weight and Peter's gained 7! Up at the bar 'Sea Breeze' we were always served to the highest standard from 'Cheeky Cheeky' he knows who he is,, and all the guys including 'Shashiraj' (little un as I call him) this lads a manager in the making :)
The water activities lead by a fantastic team is second to none and the sunset criuse is a must as is the jungle juice.
Okay yes there are a few dogs around, all they are probably after is a bit of quality leftover all inclusive but they are completely harmless. Not once in our 2 week stay did we see a dog trying to remove food from any ones plates,, as one undesirable reviewer described. Also these ants some are moaning about,, well, if you'd like to see them make sure you pack a good sized magnifying glass as they are almost invisible to the naked eye!! Oh and by the way the music is fine, they have a DJ by the pool on a Saturday which is really nice and during the rest of the week the music is good but not lively. But you must remember the place is not claiming to be the Hard Rock Hotel or some common joint in Ibiza. If your after a busy nightlife this is not the hotel for you.

There was only one thing though that really and truly ground my nerves down.... Your in a beautiful place with beautiful weather and lovely people,, no work for a week or two and yet there's still the odd miserable holiday makers whom have probably traveled from a dull chilly country, faces set in stone with their cups half empty... It doesn't matter how good a place is there is no making these people happy and these are the kind that contribute to these ridiculously low reviews.

One last thing, we traveled here on the 20th May for 2 weeks to celebrate my husbands 60th birthday and our 29th wedding anniversary on the 26th May and I just want to say Im really sorry if Ive missed anyone out as you were all top drawer honestly!!
So with a tear in my eye (for real) and on behalf of the other half, I want to say a very big thank you from the bottom of my heart for making this a holiday that we will never forget Mandy & Pete xx

4  Thank sandamanda
523guestrelations, Manager at TUI Sensimar Lagoon Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2018

Dear Mr and Mrs Dunn,

Thank you for sharing the experiences of your stay at TUI SENSIMAR Lagoon Mauritius.

I am delighted that liked the hotel as well as the hospitality of our Family Members. My pleasure to read that you enjoyed to the maximum your time among us. I still remember the aquaboards session we have done with Mr Dunn as our coach. It was just an amazing class and all the team really appreciated it.

I have shared your kind words with all our Family Members as a source of encouragement to continue the great service usually afforded to our guests. They are all happy to know the they contributed in making your stay a pleasant and memorable one.

We look forward to welcome you back again for another wonderful stay in our small paradise.

Best regards,

Reviewed 11 June 2018

Everything was perfect. It's paradise! Everybody is so kind, the rooms are great and very clean. We enjoyed the 2 weeks to the fullest.

The food, the pools, the island and the employees makes it an real experience!

1  Thank KevinHengelo
Reviewed 6 June 2018

The hotel is very well located although you have to be very cautions before driving in to the hotel compound but once you are in, you enjoy a very quiet and peaceful environment. Even though our room was very close to the main activity centre, main restaurant and main swimming pool area, once you are in your room, you only enjoy the quietness of the room. The staff are very friendly and collaborates to make you feel at home. Service is excellent and beware, you may experience customised treatment that may surprise you and give you higher satisfaction.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank VishnuB133
Reviewed 5 June 2018 via mobile

Wow what a place to have a holiday from the moment we arrived until departure the staff couldn't do enough for us especially Vanee in the main restaurant, the only drawback we found was the lack of milk in our room but after much pushing finally got a litre which lasted for the holiday,do try the street food it's delicious and the Kot Nou is superb once again a great place to R&R hope to return again soon

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
523guestrelations, Manager at TUI Sensimar Lagoon Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2018

Dear Dave,

Thank you for these heart-warming comments of your stay at TUI SENSIMAR Lagoon Mauritius.

I have shared your appreciations with all our Family Members and they are glad that you enjoyed your time among us. Vanee was thrilled to know that she contributed in making your stay a pleasant and memorable one.

I took good note your comment on the milk and rest assured the team has been briefed accordingly.

Looking forward to welcome you back again very soon for another great stay at our resort.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 2 June 2018

We've just returned from a 2 week stay at the Sensimar for our honeymoon and it was the perfect choice for us. It's a 4* rated hotel and to me that was right - you can probably find slightly more luxurious hotels elsewhere and bigger hotels with more facilities, but for us this was more than made up for with the excellent food and incredible, friendly staff.

Location
The hotel is in the north of the island, roughly 1 hour 15-30mins from the airport. There isn't much within walking distance of the hotel, but there's a bus stop outside which goes to Grand Baie in one direction and Goodlands in the other.

Check in
We arrived at about 8.30am knowing that check in time wasn't until 2pm, so knew we could be in for a long wait. Some rooms were ready but ours wasn't one of them.
However after filling in the registration form and handing our passports in, the staff told us to go and get breakfast. Once we'd finished we did still have to wait a bit longer, but we were in our room by 10am, so not too bad. Our cases were also already in our room. I've seen comments that say check in is chaotic but that wasn't my experience - it's just the nature of the Gatwick flight arriving early that some rooms won't be ready by 8.30am.

Rooms
We booked a sea view room and had requested block 8 after looking at comments, and the hotel delivered this. Block 8 is between the two pool areas and was nice and quiet with a great sea view. The room itself was quite small, but very comfortable with a mini bar and free wifi. It's worth noting that it only had a shower and not a bath, and there were also quite limited plug sockets. Despite the room being nice, as it was our honeymoon we decided to treat ourselves to an upgrade to a jacuzzi room for our second week, and we absolutely loved this. Again we had a great sea view (in block 1 close to the boathouse this time), and the room was lovely and airy. Again it only had a shower in the actual room but did have the jacuzzi on the balcony (along with 2 sunbeds and a bean bag) which was excellent. As it was closer to the amphitheatre you could hear the evening music, but this didn't go on too late (roughly 10.30 - 11) so was not an issue.

For me this was a real high point of the hotel, although for 2 weeks it would have been perfect if there was just 1 more restaurant to add that bit of variety.

Breakfast
This was served in the main Benetier restaurant and had a wide range of options - eggs made to order, cooked breakfast options, pastries, muffins, cold cuts, cheeses etc.

Lunch
There were 3 options here:
1) Buffet in Benetier - we did this a couple of times and it was enjoyable, but I usually find lunch buffets too similar to dinner buffets and as a result I think there are better options.
2) Culinarium - this has a limited menu of pretty much a cheeseburger, chicken sandwich or fish sandwich, but was very tasty and a good alternative option.
3) Taba-J - these were the street food huts on the beach near Kot Nou and was one of the highlights of our trip! There were 3 different food options - noodles usually with either chicken or beef and dim sum; local curry wraps with potato or aubergine fritters and chilli bits; and barbecued fish / meat with salad. There was also a hut serving drinks. This was perfect lunch food and felt authentic - not to mention being absolutely delicious. Needless to say we went here most days.

Dinner
Again there are 3 main options here but with a couple of paid for alternatives:
1) Buffet - again served in Benetier, with a different theme each night. On the whole it was very good quality, although I tended to find the beef quite tough (I read in a guide book that this is quite common in Mauritius) whereas the chicken and lamb were always excellent. There was a good variety, so I'd be confident that even really picky eaters would find something good to eat.
2) Kot Nou - this is the Mauritian restaurant and is included in the all inclusive package, but you need to book at reception as it is quite small with limited tables. The setting for this is lovely, and we enjoyed our meal here, although was a relatively limited menu so didn't go back for a second meal on the standard menu as we thought we'd probably end up having the same dishes again. What we did do though is pay for the lobster night - this was 2500 rupees pp (just over £50) so certainly not cheap, although we did get a voucher for 10% off. However for us it was definitely worth it, with 5 delicious courses and lots of lobster!
3) Culinarium - you get one visit here included, we got a card on check in telling us the date and time that we were booked for. Additional visits are at the standard menu price, although anyone on honeymoon does get another visit included for a different menu. This was a great experience and felt special compared to the other evening options, with service being even better than elsewhere. Highly recommended.

Bars
There were 3 bars in the hotel, the Wave bar next to the Ampitheatre, the Seabreeze bar next to the pool and the Lounge Bar next to the Culinarium. For us Seabreeze was best - great during the day to get a drink to cool down but also in the evening it's so cool with the swinging chairs! The Lounge Bar was nice but tended to be very quiet so lacked a bit of atmosphere. I think the music could have been improved to help this though. Drinks in all bars were good, although it's only local spirits that are included with branded / premium spirits at a (reasonable) supplement. Beer was generally Phoenix and actually pretty good. I wasn't as big a fan of the wines though, but again drinkable.

Entertainment
There was a daytime and evening entertainment programme with a good selection of options, but have to say that we didn't get involved in much other than the quiz! There was absolutely no pressure to take part in anything though.

Spa
We had a couples massage which was very good and pretty reasonably priced. My only comment here would be that although you are asked before the level of pressure that you would like, both my wife and I thought it tended to be 'medium' even though we asked for firmer (me) and lighter (her). Very relaxing though.

Staff / service
This was a real highlight of our stay. I very rarely name staff but on this occasion feel that I have to as some of them were absolutely amazing! Everyone at the hotel was friendly and happy to have a laugh with you. Apologies to anyone who I've missed off (or incorrect spelling) but some of the ones who stood our were:

Kajal & Vanee - Benetier
Noella - makes the most amazing omelettes / egg dishes at breakfast!
Annique - maid
Shashi & Raunak - Seabreeze
Jessen - porter
Nitish - Culinarium
Navee - entertainment (quizzes!)

Recommendations for travellers:
1) Some of the rooms seem to have a lack of plug sockets, so bring a multi adaptor just to be on the safe side.
2) There are animals at the hotel (we saw 3 dogs and 1 cat) but they weren't in the restaurants at all and absolutely didn't cause any problem at all in our stay. If you want to fuss them, brilliant, but if not they will not bother you.

Recommendations for hotel:
1) For 2 weeks, I just felt one more restaurant would have provided a bit more choice in the evenings. I know it's easier said than done, but if another restaurant could be built I think it would improve the customer experience even further.
2) I'd like the hotel management to be really proactive about caring for the lovely animals that are around the hotel. One option would be to partner with any local animal welfare charities to ensure the animals get the food, vaccinations and neutering that they need. I'm sure if customers knew that this was happening then a lot would be more than willing to make donations to help with the expense.
3) It could be worth considering offering a premium all inclusive package at a supplement to allow customers who want to get branded drinks to do so.

Overall, we couldn't have picked a better place for our honeymoon and highly recommend it.

7  Thank Thorpedo11
523guestrelations, Manager at TUI Sensimar Lagoon Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2018

Dear Andy,

Thank you for sharing this glowing review after your honeymoon at TUI SENSIMAR Lagoon Mauritius.

I am delighted to read that the hotel was up to your expectations and your enjoyed to the maximum your time among us.

I have passed your appreciations to all our Family Members as a source of encouragement to continue the great service usually afforded to our guests. They are all happy to know that they contributed in making your honeymoon a pleasant and memorable one.

All your suggestions and recommendations have been taken very positively by our team to enhance our level of standard.

Hope you have the pleasure to welcome you back next year at our resort for another wonderful stay.

Best regards,