“Excellent Turkish Food”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 30 August 2017

I ate dinner here tonight with a friend. The staff were friendly and helpful. Everything they make here is delicious. The freshly made lavash bread is outstanding as were the appetizers and chicken shish I had. A great place for a meal in Troy.

1  Thank ross5100

Reviewed 19 August 2017

This was my first experience at a Mediterranean restaurant. I love indian, thai, Asian, but this was something new for me. We ordered the cold eggplant salad to start and this was phenomenal! It is served with their version of a flatbread which comes out huge and warm. It is also served with a dill yogurt which I loved! For our dishes my friend tried the beef and lamb kabob and I got the beef and lamb that was chopped up. Mine was absolutely amazing! It was served with rice, a yummy red cabbage, and more dill yogurt! Great portion sizes and such an amazing meal. My dish did have chunks of bread in it that I did not know about and being gluten free meant I had to pick around them but that was no problem. I would say the prices are good for what we got. We also tried the rice pudding and the baklava. The baklava did not look too sticky but my friend enjoyed it The rice pudding was chilled but extremely sweet and creamy. I would definitely return here but it is a bit out of the way for me. Our server was also very helpful and extremely nice.

1  Thank Von1287
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

My wife and I visited Ali Baba for lunch during a visit to Troy. We have had Middle Eastern food many times and enjoy it, but were pleasantly surprised to discover some very different and delicious Turkish entrees at Ali Baba.

This unpretentious restaurant is located on 15th Street, not far from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI). The menu is unusual, not only because of its many Turkish specialties, but because it shows small photos of each entree next to the name rather than a description. Among the many choices are several vegetarian entrees. We ordered veggie Iskender and veggie Guvec. Before the meals arrived, the waiter brought a plate-sized puffy laffa bread covered with seeds and a plate of tzatziki sauce to dip it in. The bread was soft and warm and was amazing with the dip. We saved some bread to enjoy with the main courses and didn't regret it, even when it crisped up as it cooled. The entrees were equally amazing and ample enough to provide leftovers for the next day's lunch.

Prices were very reasonable: lunch for two, including iced tea, a piece of baklava ((who could resist it), and tip was just over $31.

We will return to Ali Baba for sure the next time we are in the area.

1  Thank DelmarSam
Reviewed 20 July 2017

Tastes authentic...could almost be in Istanbul having lunch! Delightful, delicious. Menu has pictures which may help your decision on what to order!

1  Thank MemoryofMoose
Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

Everything is good! Easily the best middle eastern food around. Very fresh, cooked to order. Our favorite Togo spot

1  Thank wanderlust423

Been to Ali Baba? Share your experiences!