“Best Restaurant in Troy AND the Entire Albany Area”
Review of River Street Cafe

River Street Cafe
Ranked #51 of 215 Restaurants in Troy
Price range: USD 0 - USD 30
Cuisines: American, Italian, Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 12 October 2015

We've been going to the River Street Cafe for years. It is, without question, the best restaurant in the area and that's all because of the cooking skill of George, the cook and owner. I recommend a fish course because George's sauces are not to be beaten.

Reviewed 26 July 2015

We go to this restaurant for special occasions (the price is somewhat hefty for a full course meal) but for a special occasion it is well worth it. On the outside it is rather disarming in that one would not expect the culinary delights that are inside to be just that based on the "storefront" outer exterior. Once the doors are opened however, you walk through the lower level of the building and right past the kitchen where the evenings meal is made by a truly great chef. Most evenings the meals are made from scratch. I believe the menu is good for a week. I cannot praise the food, quality and waitstaff enough. The dining area is up a long flight of stairs in a very charming area.
Definitely recommend eating here for the experience which has uniformly been a good one!

1  Thank Edward2651
Reviewed 1 July 2015

It is a romantic place for two or more. The food is made to order, the salads fine and the palate pleaser exceptional.

Reviewed 13 May 2015

My wife and I had dined here several times about 10 years ago and returned to celebrate an anniversary. The food was as good as we remembered. I had the duck with an excellent flavorful sauce. There was a complementary pasta appetizer which as also excellent. The salad, with an interesting Asian fusion dressing was notable. The servers were sensitive to whether you were time constrained. We were not in a rush and thus had a very pleasant leisurely meal.

Reviewed 20 April 2015

My husband and I had tickets to an event at a Troy concert venue and wanted to have dinner at a restaurant within walking distance. The River Street Cafe fit the bill - an easy fifteen minute walk. I had forgotten that we had dined with friends there several years ago. But when we entered the dining room on the second floor, I remembered the location due to the rustic decor and tall windows giving a beautiful view of the Hudson River. We were the first people there and were advised not to order an appetizer since we had an 8 o’clock curtain to make. The menu had several items that caught my eye - chargrilled steak, lamb chops, duck breast. Oh, yum. My husband ordered the duck breast and I ordered the lamb steak special. Soon after ordering the other tables started filling up. The waitress brought a pasta appetizer sample for my husband. I couldn’t eat it because of celiac disease. He said it was very tasty. As was the bread, served with butter still hard from the refrigerator. We ordered red wine which came chilled, not room temperature. After a while, a generous size salad (that comes with the entree) was served. The dressing was delicious, but the lettuce looked as if it had been sitting in the dressing for to long. I should add that there was just one waitress for to long. I’m sure she was doing the best she could until the second waitress arrived. Even after the second waitress arrived, we still felt ignored. But we were correctly advised not to order an appetizer. Our entrees finally arrived with a family style plate of garlic, goat cheese mashed potatoes. The potatoes were very tasty. But the chef was overly fond of his brown butter sauce. Both duck breast and lamb were swimming the same sauce and all we could taste was the sauce. I ordered the lamb medium rare and it arrived medium to medium well. And all I could taste was the sauce which wasn’t very tasty. The duck, due to the sauce, tasted no different that the lamb. Whatever cut of lamb I had was not very tender and was filled with connective tissue which made it difficult to cut and eat.
We were finished eating after an hour and a half (slow service) and decided to take the leisurely walk to the concert venue rather than risk being late by having coffee or dessert. Two entrees, two wines and a soda later amounted to $85 (before tip). Shortly before we left, a table of 6 were just getting their entrees and they were also going to the same program as we were. I’d be surprised if they were on time.
I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone. $85 is a lot for a wilted salad with great dressing.

3  Thank RowingMom66

Been to River Street Cafe? Share your experiences!