All reviews room was clean state fair yogurt new york lots of parking hotel restaurant check in was easy flat screen tv easy access concert highway
Reviewed 9 June 2016

The hotel offered a good option for easy on & off the freeway and the restaurant made it very convenient. On the other hand the hotel itself could use a little TLC. The carpeting and the rooms could stand an update. On the upside it was reasonably priced and everyone we came into contact with were courteous and professionsal

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Heidi W, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn & Suites - Fairgrounds, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your feedback and hope yo see you next time you are in town.

Reviewed 19 May 2016

Clean but basic hotel - approximately 10 miles from downtown Syracuse and Syracuse University. Hotel is older and very basic - small restaurant, bar on site. Easy parking and pleasant staff. Not too many amenities - although the offered fresh baked cookies in the lobby. Rooms are small but clean. Rate was very reasonable - and conveniently located just off the interstate. Great budget option for visiting the area or stopping over enroute to another location. I stayed over the weekend, many families. But quiet at night!

Room Tip: Beds with two room may be two double beds - not queen size.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 May 2016

My review of this hotel is somewhat conflicting. It's a nice hotel, huge with multiple entrances. EZ on/off the highway and a short drive to downtown Syracuse. I didn't see an elevator, but can't be sure there isn't one. If there's not, it could be an issue for some guests. There is a restaurant (w/ bar) on premise and I was told breakfast is available, but when I arrived to the lobby area in the morning, the restaurant was in darkness and the front desk unattended. Over-all, the place is clean and the staff is friendly.
My room had a comfortable king-sized bed. heat/AC unit worked well, but a little on the noisy side with turning on and off. Bathroom size was fine, amenities and towels sufficient. The room also had a coffee maker and TV with local channels (could use a few more viewing options). I could not get connected to the free WiFi on my phone, tablet or laptop.
I don't care to end a review on a down note, but the hotel could use some updating and TLC. I don't think the rate I paid is equal to the quality of the hotel - but it could be. It's not dirty or dingy by any means, "well used" is a better description. With some new carpeting, fresh coat of paint and a few fixes here and there, it could easily become a hidden gem just outside Syracuse.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 May 2016

This place is a bit hard to get to without a good map or GPS help. It's not directly off of the New York Thruway, but rather, adjacent to an unconventional exit from I-690. Nor is it particularly handy to restaurants, though the Clarion offers a 10% guest discount in its own restaurant. For the price, though, it was an okay stop on the long trek across upstate New York. Normal-sized rooms with comfortable beds and clean bathrooms. Though inexplicably the window drapes weren't hung on a rod that allowed them to be closed. So, there was no way to avoid having the sun shine into the room in the morning.

ONE CAUTION: If there are mobility-challenged people in your party (as there were in mine) this hotel can be problematic. The hotel is shaped like a squared-off "C", with the reception and restaurant along the bottom of the "C" and the rooms on two floors along the left side and the top of the "C". Unfortunately, the left-side section is exceptionally long (possibly the world's longest hotel corridor). So if your room is in the 249 or 250 range, it's a helluva hike to the restaurant. And the only alternative to walking the length of the corridor is to DRIVE the distance in your car. But that choice presents its own problems for persons with disabilities, since there is no elevator and the only way to GET to one's car from the 249s is to use the stairs.

I couldn't tell what vintage this place represented. Was it relatively new; built to exploit the growing Thruway traffic? Had it been upgraded from an earlier, more modest incarnation? The over-the-hump walkway leading from the reception area to the rooms seemed like a last-minute fix for some sort of design mistake. Whatever the case, I suspect that they could've given the hotel's overall arrangement a bit more thought before settling on such an awkward layout.

Room Tip: To avoid lots of walking, try to get a room near the reception/lounge.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 February 2016

Before I came to this hotel, I read some reviews of people having horrible stays with dirty rooms and horrible customer service. Look, it ain't the Ritz Carlton, but certainly isn't a Super 8 either. I got a Hotwire "mystery deal" rate for $49 plus tax, and I was seriously considering buying a second hotel room because the reviews were so bad. I'm glad I didn't.

I got to the hotel and the lobby looked wonderfully average. The lady running the front desk was perfectly nice and let me check out my room before I checked in. Walking to my room, I noticed a bit of a musty smell in the hallway and the walls clearly needed repainting, but it was nowhere near, as one reviewer described it, "literally falling apart at the seams". The room was fine; clean sheets, slightly worn out comforter, dated room for sure, but nowhere near as bad as some other reviewers have made it out to be. The shower was also perfectly clean, and I'm glad I could use it without a lot of fuss in the process. The parking lot was lit very well so I didn't feel unsafe leaving my car there overnight. The included breakfast was terrible, but then again, do you really go to the hotel for their breakfast? I went to a diner after I had a cup of perfectly fine coffee.

This place isn't a dump. It's a perfectly fine place to stay if you're visiting Syracuse for a day or two and don't mind being a couple of miles from the city. For my purpose, it was actually a very good deal for the price. Please take the negative reviews with a grain of salt: very few people will actively go to TripAdvisor to review a hotel positively, but many will jump on here to complain if something- anything- doesn't go their way.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
Sarah P, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites - Fairgrounds, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2016

Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate the kind words and feedback you have provided us! We have new owners and they are putting a lot of work into renovations! We hope to see you again soon!