“Dewitt Surprise!”

Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My son recommended that we try this place out after hearing several good reviews from friends. It is a small bar, just off Genesee Street near Jamesville Road. Rather non-descript.

There are small booths towards the back where we parked ourselves to peruse the menu.

Good beer options on tap and in bottles. Service is quick and efficient.

Menu changes regularly, apparently, and the offerings include sandwiches (try to crab cake), salads, ribs (mmm, good and 1/2 rack is plenty), burgers, fish. The portions are large and presentation is verging on the artistic.

Prices are reasonable.

This is more than just bar food. You can get a very good meal here, cooked professionally and delivered with a smile.

I will definitely be coming back.

Reviewed 30 April 2018

With a name like Dark Horse Tavern, I imagined it was going to be a cute building...but to my surprise it's located in a strip mall. There are not many seats so they wait until your entire party is there to sit you.

The food was good but nothing spectacular. I did enjoy the hummus appetizer and the addition of chickpeas to the salad was different and appreciated.

There is not a baby changing table in the bathroom, if you wanted to know.

Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

My husband and I planned to go to an early dinner here because of all the reviews saying it gets packed. We arrived a little before five and checked in with the bartender. Lucky for us they had a few tables empty and we slid right in!
The menu is small and focused! We loved it! I had meat and potatoes and my husband had the special shrimp scampi. Both were amazing! The prices were very reasonable.
The service was fast and they moved like a smooth team. You could tell many locals come here. The staff knew people by name.
It is definitely not a place to bring kids as it is small and loud.
We cannot wait to go back! The drinks were yummy and everyone was efficient at their jobs! I highly recommend.

1  Thank Ashley J
Reviewed 26 March 2018

The first time we stopped at Dark Horse we were heading to Rochester on the NYS Thruway, and needed to stop for dinner before every kitchen in Western New York was closed. It felt out of the way at the time, and now we're almost regulars.

We've enjoyed both bar food and fine food here, and last night I had an amazing chopped salad of kale, red onions, gorgonzola and lardons with a tangy dressing. The service is team-based, and even though the place was packed someone was there to take an order, clear a dish, refresh a beverage, without our having to flag anybody down.

When Google Maps first led us to this tiny strip mall outside of Syracuse we nearly kept going -- but I'm glad we stopped, and now we go out of our way to visit the Dark Horse Tavern.

Reviewed 12 March 2018

We've been once for lunch and once for dinner. We ate lunch at the bar and dinner at the last table for 2 that was open. This place gets super busy! the food is so good, the service is impeccable, and the atmosphere is warm and wonderful. I almost hate to give it a great review because it's so popular now, I don't want to see it with a bigger crowd! I had the short rib grilled cheese, and suggest it to anyone!