“Hidden gem!”

Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

My husband and I planned to go to an early dinner here because of all the reviews saying it gets packed. We arrived a little before five and checked in with the bartender. Lucky for us they had a few tables empty and we slid right in!
The menu is small and focused! We loved it! I had meat and potatoes and my husband had the special shrimp scampi. Both were amazing! The prices were very reasonable.
The service was fast and they moved like a smooth team. You could tell many locals come here. The staff knew people by name.
It is definitely not a place to bring kids as it is small and loud.
We cannot wait to go back! The drinks were yummy and everyone was efficient at their jobs! I highly recommend.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank Ashley J

Reviewed 26 March 2018

The first time we stopped at Dark Horse we were heading to Rochester on the NYS Thruway, and needed to stop for dinner before every kitchen in Western New York was closed. It felt out of the way at the time, and now we're almost regulars.

We've enjoyed both bar food and fine food here, and last night I had an amazing chopped salad of kale, red onions, gorgonzola and lardons with a tangy dressing. The service is team-based, and even though the place was packed someone was there to take an order, clear a dish, refresh a beverage, without our having to flag anybody down.

When Google Maps first led us to this tiny strip mall outside of Syracuse we nearly kept going -- but I'm glad we stopped, and now we go out of our way to visit the Dark Horse Tavern.

Reviewed 12 March 2018

We've been once for lunch and once for dinner. We ate lunch at the bar and dinner at the last table for 2 that was open. This place gets super busy! the food is so good, the service is impeccable, and the atmosphere is warm and wonderful. I almost hate to give it a great review because it's so popular now, I don't want to see it with a bigger crowd! I had the short rib grilled cheese, and suggest it to anyone!

Reviewed 8 March 2018

I'd never even heard of this place until my friend suggested dinner and drinks here for my birthday. The place is small so patience is needed to wait for a table or seat at the bar. It is also very loud in there but the food and service surpassed the extra noise. The menu looked so good I couldn't decide what to get! I settled on the "meat & potatoes" which was a generous portion of steak cooked perfectly, grilled asparagus and cheddar chive mashed potatoes. I will definitely be back to try more of their impressive looking menu!

Reviewed 21 February 2018

Our party of five showed up on a Saturday evening. It was very busy, but we waited only about 30 minutes for a table. The staff was great, and so was the food. We ordered a variety of entrees, all of which were very good and prepared in a reasonable amount of time. The atmosphere was pleasant. Background noise did not interfere with conversation around the table. This was our second time dining at Dark Horse, and both times we had a very favorable experience. We plan to be back.

Date of visit: February 2018