“A really charming Inn.”
Review of 1708 House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Southampton
1708 House
Ranked #2 of 6 Southampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 August 2011

I have to say that I was really surprised at how much we enjoyed our stay at 1708 Inn. Our room was really lovely and the queen bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was fine, could use some counter space but it didn't detract from our enjoyment of the room. It was very quiet (love). The owners are pleasant and non intrusive which we like, we like to be a little private. The wine and cheese was an added bonus and my poached eggs were done perfectly every morning. This is a place that you could come alone or as a couple or family and feel right at home. Next time we come I would like to explore the cottages at the back as they looked really cute. The Inn is a short walk to fabulous boutique ( not cheap but some great designer's) shopping and Cooper's Beach which was incredible. Rent a bike and explore Gin Road and the beautiful homes. We loved our stay at 1708 Inn.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Libandma
There are newer reviews for 1708 House

Reviewed 16 June 2011

My good girlfriend and I were very exited about a getaway to Southampton. We had read a couple of good reviews about this establishment, and felt lucky to have gotten the very last room for the weekend we chose to stay there.

By way of background, my girlfriend and I are professional women in our late 20's / early 30's, have an MBA from a top tier institution, and were raised with manners and in good homes. As such, by this point in our lives, clearly we know how to behave ourselves and to treat others with respect. In return, we expect others to treat us with a similar level of respect as as grown adults.

Unfortunately, on Sunday morning of our stay, the owner's daughter proved that she was incapable of such. When I came downstairs to the kitchen for a glass of water at approximately 7am, the owners daughter barged out of her bedroom door, still in her pajamas, and literally yelled at me telling me that I must "go back to bed" and that I could come downstairs at 8am when the kitchen was open. When I explained what I was doing, she literally stepped out into the hallway, blocking any path I could have taken to the kitchen, and told me I'd have to wait an hour until the kitchen had opened. Meanwhile, the kitchen is an open, passthrough kitchen as one would find in a home -- there was nothing commercial or inappropriate about me being in the kitchen --- especially as I was a guest of the establishment and it had never been mentioned to me that the kitchen was "off-limits" during any period of time, especially early in the morning as I wanted a drink of water.

While I thought that behavior was attrocious, rude, and unbecoming from the owner's daughter -- I was truly horrified when we checked out later that afternoon. The previous night (Saturday), my friend and I had met up with some of our friends from Business School. We invited them back to our private patio for a drink on their way home. They stayed for approximately 2 hours, and we were extremely careful about keeping our voices down and being respectful of our neighbors.

Apparently, our room was directly above the owner's daughter's room, and she heard several sets of footsteps coming up to our room / patio and going down. She gave the manager of the hotel the directive that we should be fined an extra $75 for having guests "overnight." If the hotel had posted regulations or made us aware that we were not allowed to have any visitors during our stay, I would find this charge reasonable. However, to spring this one a guest, after being rude and discourteous to them in the same morning, really put a bad taste in my mouth about this experience.

I would absolutely not recommend this establishment to anyone. I feel that the way in wihch the owner's daughter conducts herself is extremely unprofessional, offenstive, and quite frankly upsetting. I was made to feel extremely uncomfortable during my stay and would certainly not have paid approximately $1,000 for two night's loding to be treated in this way.

I should also mention that this establishment should put some extra attention into the sloppy manner in which they clean their rooms. We found that almost every peice of furniture in our room had a noticeable layer of dust on it, the bathroom did not appear to have been cleaned recently, and there was a large burn mark in the shape of an iron on the hardwood floors in our room.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
16  Thank AshleyL33
Management response:Responded 20 June 2011

Every story has two sides and one would hope that each is presented fairly and accurately. That being said, the review of “AshleyL33” contains many discrepancies and exaggerations, and fails to address all the facts, including that on the very same day of her check-out, the “unexpected room charges” were voided (with an email sent notifying her and friend of this); and, also, the fact that the reviewer and her friend left a note for our housekeepers, together with a bottle of wine, stating “Our stay was lovely. Thank you for everything! Best….” Quite a contradiction to the statements contained in her review! We are sorry that our disgruntled visitor did not take the opportunity to calmly discuss the actual events with management, as we pride ourselves on trying to resolve problems which arise with an extremely small percentage of our guests. We welcome the opportunity to do so at any time.

Reviewed 4 May 2011

Beautiful bed and breakfast with lots of history . Lovely and warm furnishings, very cozy and welcoming. Price included breakfast and tea / afternoon wine. Could have stayed a week!

Room Tip: Room #3 was beautiful!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2011

We have stayed at the 1708 House many times over a two year period, so my review is based on multiple visits. Our experience has always been the same. The rooms are clean and very pleasant, and the owners and employees are very friendly and helpful. It's like returning to someone's home you know--- there are always cookies and snacks, wine, and coffee available. Breakfast in the morning is cheerful, fresh, and well presented. We have been there during every season, and always enjoyed the experience. On a cold winter's night, the wine cellar is especially cozy and inviting. I would highly recommend the 1708 House if you are looking for an authentic bed and breakfast experience. It is also very centrally located and convenient to what the Hamptons has to offer.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HonestEvaluator
Reviewed 10 August 2010

The 1708 House is a Hidden Gem in the heart of Southampton. You simply can't beat its location which is a stone's throw from the best shopping and restaurants in town yet 1708 house has the relaxed feel of a B and B located miles from town. The rooms were clean and comfortable, we have small children and loved the cottages and large grassy area behind the hotel. The great breakfast and very helpful friendly staff reminded my wife and I how nice it is to stay and a small itimate B and B as opposed to the more typical large hotel we often visit. Coopers beach, a beautiful beach, is only a mile away and the free parking pass the hotel gave us made it easy to get in and out with our kids. We really enjoyed the 1708 House and will recomend it to anyone visiting Hamptons

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southampton
0.6 km away
9.4 km away
Topping Rose House
Topping Rose House
#1 of 1 in Bridgehampton

Been to 1708 House? Share your experiences!