“Disappointed in Food”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 April 2016

We went to this restaurant for a special occasion after reading the glowing reviews. To begin, we have been to hundreds of restaurants from the fast food kind to the most exquisite restaurants throughout the U.S. and abroad. We are senior citizens who regularly eat out and have done so for over 5 decades..
Our order consisted of:
Fried Calamari (appetizer)
Lobster Bisque
Duck L'Orange
Maryland Crab Cakes
BBQ Baby Back Ribs
A word of caution on the rolls: I surmised that the rolls were store-bought and reheated in the oven. If you don't eat it immediately, it hardens. I was able to pick up the rolls and pound them on the table --- they were rock-solid so we left them in the basket.
The FRIED CALAMARI was delicious, crisp, well-presented, and a nice portion. Marinara sauce was tasty. 5 stars here.
Our LOBSTER BISQUE, however, was another story. The color was ghoulish and not appealing. It arrived tepid. Soup should be served hot enough that one does not have to "blow" on it unless, of course, it is a cold soup. I flagged the waiter (first time) who took the soup away to re-heat it.
My husband joked, "Just watch, it will come back boiling hot!" As he predicted, the soup was returned VERY hot and without a soup spoon. I flagged the waiter (second time) and asked for a spoon. I stirred the soup to cool it off.
Nothing special about the soup and there were no chunks of lobster in it. It was very salty and, if I was blindfolded, I never would have suspected that I was eating lobster bisque. 0 star here.
HOUSE SALAD - your typical house salad but beautifully presented. 5 stars
MARYLAND CRAB CAKES - Just two crab cakes (for $23). Very salty and under cooked in the middle. My husband, who regularly travels to Maryland for crab cakes gave it "thumbs down". I tasted a piece of his dinner and I agreed. Very salty and although the outside was seared and cooked to perfection, the inside was under cooked. Very mushy! 1 star.
DUCK L'ORANGE - I was looking forward to eating this meal after eating it several times in French restaurants over the past few years. Beautifully presented. However, the duck was beyond rare --- I would say "raw". I chewed and chewed and then I said to my husband, "this is raw!" I removed the piece from my mouth and placed it on my plate. We flagged the waiter (third time) and asked for the duck to be cooked.
On the return, the duck was cooked; no Grand Marnier taste whatsoever and extremely salty. 1 star
BBQ Baby Back Ribs - tasty and a generous portion 5 stars
We originally planned to order dessert and coffee, but decided to leave instead. Our mouths were parched from the excess salt (the roof of my mouth had a dry aftertaste).
The bill was over $125 with tip.
Thankfully, we had bottled water in the car for our drive home. We decided to have a small cake and coffee at home to celebrate our special occasion.
I will say that when we left the restaurant both sides of the road as well as the parking lot were packed with cars. Apparently, the locals love this place.

6  Thank NewCanaanBetty

Reviewed 16 March 2016

Food is always delicious and the staff is very friendly. Popular place for locals and especially people in the equestrian world that sit and have dinner in the bar area. located on a very quiet street in South Salem.

Reviewed 16 March 2016

Sue and all the waitstaff and bartenders are super nice. It has that neighborhood pub feel on one side and charming dining with a fireplace on the other. The food is great. We also love eating on the patio when the weather is nice.

Reviewed 16 February 2016

We had a lovely dinner here. We ordered some dishes from the Valentine’s day special, and the others from the regular menu. The duck, the seafood pasta and the baked brie were all delicious. The place was packed so we were glad we had reservations. The waitress was very nice and also very efficient.The place is also reasonably priced. Will go back again.

Reviewed 16 December 2015

My parents eat at the Horse and Hound frequently, and when we went to visit them, they treated my husband and I to dinner. It was delicious! The restaurant is peaceful and quiet. Make sure you make a reservation and enjoy!