See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 August 2016 via mobile

I wish I had read the reviews before booking the five rooms for my family. Doors and windows not shutting properly, all rooms having a musty smell, air conditioning units working poorly or not at all, a bees nest in the bathroom window of one room another rooms TV wasn't working. We left for the afternoon on a 95 degree day just to come back to sweltering rooms because the cleaning staff decided to shut all the air conditioning units off.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2016

I just hate to rate anybody with one star so I will probably give two stars but this place is just simply in need of some simple TLC. From the storm door that will not completely close, or the toilet propped up on one side with cardboard because of the sloping floors, to the lead cord with no ground, or the huge bees nest outside the bathroom and the bees that were obviously getting into the room, some dead some not. We were in town for a wedding, our group occupied 5 rooms of different sizes and variations. Some of the rooms were able to take advantage of the free wifi, some rooms were not able to pick up the signal. One room the TV was broke my room had a musty, damp smell. My son sneezed most of the night, we woke at 5am and left. Our room was very small and uncomfortable. Ceiling height very low, maybe 7 foot. I could go on and on, I think you get the idea. After tax we paid about $145. Go somewhere else, spend a few extra dollars and get some quality. Extremely disappointed, I do not recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2016

We use to live a few miles from here.My wife for many years wanted to stay at this hotel. I had trouble opening the door and had to use my shoulder because the door was warped and swelled. The room was a dump. It smelled of mold inside. No shampoo in bathroom. The bathroom was so bad we had to drive to Walmart to buy bleach to clean the shower! The a/c fins were filthy and smelled. Envelope in room to leave tip! You must be kidding.The wifi was poor and I was hardly able to get a connection. Went to the main office for breakfast and the door was locked ,so we just left and went to McDonalds! My advice- stay someplace else.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank William K
Reviewed 11 August 2016

Being a former Central New Yorker, I often drove by the Birds Nest. While planning a trip to visit family and friends, my husband booked a one night stay there, because we thought it was a charming establishment. This place could use a good deal of attention. The door to our room was difficult to manage. The air conditioner was caked with dust. Although the sink in the bathroom looked clean, the toilet seat was not. The shower was far from clean and the shower curtain looked as if it had never been washed. We took a trip to Walmart to buy cleaning supplies and cleaned the bathroom and air conditioner. The side chair was so stained that I put my picnic blanket on it before sitting down to watch TV. The only good thing is that it looked like the ceiling and trim had been painted recently. I cannot adequately express my disappointment In our stay there.

Room Tip: Would not recommend this place.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
3  Thank mvkol53
Reviewed 11 August 2016

The lady at the front desk was wonderful and very friendly. She was able to book me the last room at a reduced rate as they just had a cancellation. I was grateful until I saw the room. It smelled like a kennel, was not vacuumed as evidenced by the debris on the main walkway in the room and it appeared to have tufts of fur on the carpet. I went to turn the a/c on and the front plate was thickly covered in dust. The lady at the front desk was very apologetic and sympathetic and gave me the owner's name. However, I just got off the phone with the owner and he was extremely unreasonable, discourteous and defensive. He argued that they clean the a/c vents daily, that there was not fur on the carpets but they were ripped carpet seams and the room I had had no pets in it. The debris on the carpets, the thick dust and the strong pungent smell of pet odor told me different. I told him that I wouldn't have paid $50 for a room like that. He became even more angry and asked what I wanted. I told him $50 was more than reasonable for what I got and I would like him to credit the difference. He snapped I already got a reduced rate and continued to defend his position very rudely. I told him it made good business sense for him to be reasonable making this right rather than writing a bad review. He told me I was blackmailing him and said angrily, "This conversation is over!"and hung up the phone.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo