“If you spend all of your time on the lake, not in your room, you'll be fine!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Silver Bay
Northern Lake George Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Silver Bay
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Nice location, is the only positive.

No cell service other than AT&T.
Old bedding on a wooden platform.
Very, very small bathrooms, I had to step out of the bathroom to towel off and dress.
Very small and SHORT shower stall.
Wasn't very clean.
Paper thin walls.
Muddy parking area.
Unless you speak Russian or Turkish, good luck on your fair (at best) breakfast..
Shallow, run down boat dock, with no ramp.
I'm glad the fishing was good, to keep out on the lake longer.

Room Tip: Best tip to get a better room, go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank Gene M

Reviewed 23 August 2011

I never write reviews, but this place was so horrible, I couldn't resist. We stayed at Norther Lake George Resort for three nights in August. We chose this resort because it was very conveniently located to a family member's lake front home, where we planned to spend the entire day over the weekend we were there enjoying a very large family celebration. Although we were literally only in the room to sleep and shower, that was far longer than I would have liked to be there. Traveling with me was my husband and one-year-old daughter. My parents and brother also had their own rooms.

For starters, we arrived late and were told to ring the intercom for service. There was not a soul in sight. Instead, we found our room key sitting on the front desk with a note instructing us to fill out a registration card with our name, address, credit card info, etc. and leave it on the desk! We then enter the motel room to find it dark, extremely outdated, small, and uninviting. The door knobs had an antiquated locking system and were loose and wobbly. Not exactly a good feeling of security. The "king sized bed" was actually two twin mattresses side by side on a platform. The sheets were see-through and there was no mattress pad! Gross. The room was so small that we did not have enough space to set up the pack and play for our daughter to sleep on, so she had to sleep in our bed. Of course, there was a crack from two separate mattresses in the middle, so you can imagine how uncomfortable that was. The bathroom was tiny, the shower seemed to be one of those temporary shower stalls with pipes exposed on the outer wall. The sink was tiny and there was no counter space or ledge for your toiletries. The towels were about the quality of a handkerchief. Short, threadbare, and non-absorbant.

The signs posted on the walls looked like they hadn't been replaced in 30 years and one even warned you not to iron your clothes on the carpet because the nylon would melt. Seriously?!

The only small redeeming quality was that breakfast was included in your room price and that was actually decent. Even with breakfast, the awful conditions of the room were not worth the $100 per night rate. Our first two mornings at breakfast went smoothly and all three of us enjoyed a decent meal. On our third and final morning, they brought us a bill (without mentioning it ahead of time) for our daughter's meal because the "double occupancy rooms include two breakfasts." I couldn't believe the audacity they had to ask us to pay for a $6 breakfast when they are clearly profiting from the overpriced room rates. Plus, we had already had two morning breakfasts where this wasn't an issue. Needless to say, after speaking with the manager, we did not pay for the breakfast. We will also never be staying there again.....even though the location was in perfect proximity to our family member's house. I'd rather camp in a tent on my aunt's lawn and wait in line with a dozen other people for the shower than stay in this place again.

This place makes Motel 6 and Super 8 motels look like the Hilton.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Megan G
Reviewed 6 July 2011

I go to Lake George with the family every year and the northern part of the lake is more peaceful and less crowded than the village or even Bolton Landing. The prices at Northern Lake George Resort are more reasonable than the other 2 areas as well. This place isn't a 5-star hotel so you get what you pay for...adequate comforts like a/c, refrigerator, tv, etc. I hardly spend any time in the room anyway. Who goes to a lake to hang out in their room? A must see attraction at this resort is the Necessary Room in the Lodge. It's a site for sore eyes when you have gravy leg.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank TripsterMcFunly
Reviewed 16 November 2010

We had booked at another resort but unfortuatly they were over booked and assisted us with finding accomidations, which lead us to the Northern Lake George Resort. I was traveling with my wife, 8 month old son, mother and fater In-law. When we arrived their were no other vehicles at the resort (clue #1.) It was off-season and I was charged over $200 for a small 2 floor suite, for 1 night. My hunting camp is larger and better equipt that this suite (clue #2.) When we walked in the suite, the walls had signs all over the place telling you to not touch this, don't do that. And if you did touch this or do that you'll be charged. Basically treating you like a 5 year old (clue #3.) The suite seemed to me that it had been winterized (everthing un-pluged, frige door open/unthawed), to include owners telling me that they turned on the water for us (clue #4). They had a coffee maker but no coffee or filters (clue #5). Mold in the bathroom and toilette (clue #6.) So I cleaned the toilette. It takes a while to get slimy mold to form in a toilette.

The actual experience:
When I cheked in their were many restrictions. Basically it came down to "Don't bother the Inn Keepers with anything." Both my In-laws are handicap and had difficulties get into the suite and into the bathroom/shower. The shower used a water saver head and the shower was a trickle. The suite was very loud with the heaters running. The beds were basiclly a platform with a mattress on top. Very uncomfortable. They basically want you to do all the cleaning and house keeping for them, but then charge you for housekeeping. When we were leaving the next morning the overwhelming sewer smell outside by the parking area.

Normally I'm not so critical, I do back country backpacking and sleep on the ground and can ruff it with the best of them. But at over $200 a night, at least prep the suite and give me some coffee. Maybe it's nicer in the summer??? All I know is that I'll never go there again. And would recommend most folks to find a nicer place to stay.

In the end the other resort was nice enough to pay us back for staying at the Northern Lake George Resort.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
7  Thank Cop551
Reviewed 23 February 2010

Came here with a group on a retreat. Beautiful open space and nice location. Motel is okay. Needs a lot of updating. Room was very small, had small sink outside the bathroom. Staff was friendly and helpful. Food was good, enjoyed buffet.

• Stayed: May 2009
29.9 km away
The Lodges at Cresthaven
The Lodges at Cresthaven
#15 of 89 in Lake George

Been to Northern Lake George Resort? Share your experiences!