All reviews summer weekend beach side ferry ride vibe dj luxe
Reviewed 23 July 2018 via mobile

We recently had dinner at Sunset Beach and the view was spectacular, ambiance perfect and the food was delicious! The staff was friendly and professional and above all was accommodating! Don't miss out on the gem on Shelter Island!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

This is a nice place to take in the sunset on the island. The restaurant and bar is pricey as you can easily drop $300 or more per couple. The upside is the atmosphere which is a good representation of island life.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2017

Ok - we arrive by train from Penn Station - a long journey. We arrive to catch the Ferry over to Shelter Island. Luckily met the nicest family on the ferry and they asked where we were staying (luckily). We told them Sunset Beach. We thought we would either hop in a cab or call the hotel to collect us from Ferry terminal. Only one taxi on the island ('the Gopher') and the hotel does not have a car - so back to the kind lady who offered us a lift. We arrived at said hotel around 9pm. Starving. Restaurant closed??. Its 9pm.... We were shown to our room - was ok nothing fancy - I asked what time is breakfast. There is no breakfast 'Whaaaaaat". But they do offer a small hamper with coffee croissants? I hate coffee and not keen on croissants - but never mind - we have been at the hotel 5 mins and not up for moaning (just yet). So its Monday night restaurant closed, no breakfast in the morning either but hey Im tired and tomorrow is another day. So up early Tuesday morning - tap tap at door and there is a cute little basket outside the door continental breakfast - sweet but full of things I hate. I head down to the beach with my daughter - beach lovely, beach guy lovely, all good. By Midday we both starving after not eating for a long time head to the restaurant - CLOSED - ok lets get a drink at the bar - also closed but reopens at 3pm....I feel like I am ready to implode. I ask for the manager and she explains that the restaurant is not open on Tuesdays... she suggests a nice place in town - Im going to cut this story down. Im ready to pack my bags and leave. The manager suggests taking the bikes into town - I disagree with her suggestion - I suggestion she cycles into town and gets us something to eat - she agrees. 30 minutes later we have salad, sandwich delivered to the beach. Fair enough. She also agrees to buy us lunch the next day. True to her word as I get my card out to pay the waitress for our lunch the following day she tells us its on the house. Anway we are staying here for a week and actually once we go into the swing of it we had a good time. I am not sure I would return - I think the owner seriously needs to spend some money on the rooms, invest in a car so they are able to collect their guests from the Ferry. Would I recommend it - mmmmm I think yes but its expensive for what you get - it is definitely not 5 star, nor 4 but it definitely has a 5 star price tag. My daughter who is 16 loved it - she loved the fact it was not pretentious nor full of Brits, she described it as cool. The island itself is beautiful, people friendly. The island is quiet, quaint and the ferry ride pretty. Definitely hire a car if exploring the Hamptons you see nothing by train. I would also refrain from calling this a hotel its more motel.......

Room Tip: I think this hotel wakes up at the weekends (its very busy) so suggest you book a room away from the restaurant.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
6  Thank justine b
Reviewed 23 August 2017

We have been coming to Shelter Island for 38 years. Many of the last several years have been spent here at Sunset Beach Hotel. The property, hotel and management have gone down exponentially. This year, to start, the person checking us in didn't realize we had paid for half our stay when we booked in May. We did not receive the room we requested. The refrigerator did not work. The remote control would not change any channels. The rug is dirty. The restaurant is no longer open for breakfast at all and the restaurant is closed on Tuesdays. In season? Really? When we told the manager about our disappointment, she was nonplussed. On another note......back in the day, you were greeted with a bottle of wine in your room, pamphlets with "things to do" on the island, a beach ball, post cards, a lovely tote to use for the beach........now, with prices much higher, you receive far less. Actually, you receive nothing! Less is more? Not in this situation. This week will be our last stay.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank angeiss
Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

Overpriced and sub par drinks and food.The bartender was unfriendly and dismissive and did not even give a full pour for $20 drinks.

I live on the North Shore and I am accustomed to good restaurants with nice ambience and high standards. This restaurant fell short of my expectations.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple