All reviewswater aerobicsher husbandcanyon ranchother guestsweight losseuropean styleexercise classesprepared mealsmary ellenroom phonegreat workoutthe real deala lot of funhealthy eatingdown to eartheach morningzen meditation
Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

To start, this "inn and spa" costs between $450 and $500/night with only 3 classes a day (one of which is the "hike"). I came for 9 nights for the juicing, the spa and the classes to quickly lose some weight for a special occasion coming up. I also wanted to just detox in general because I went through a horrible breakup.
When I pulled up to the inn, I was shocked. It was not what I expected for that much money (over $4100 with only $175 credit for spa services). It looks run down on the outside and is even more run down on the inside. Another reviewer said it is like a motel 6 with a pool, and I agree.
Although the website boasts "a wide range of indoor and outdoor activities", the only organized activity is a walk on mountain roads (there was only 1 hike in the mountains the whole 9 days I was there), and 2 other classes in the gym- which is over 90 degrees because the owner refused to put on the Air conditioning- even thought everyone- including the instructor- was sweating. How can you work out when you are sweating like crazy and feeling faint from juicing with no AC?? Note that there are also no classes or anything going on Sunday. So you are paying $450/night to sleep and drink 3 juices a day.
The place is really small- at times there were only 2 of us staying there. With the lack of classes and only 2 people, it can be quite boring there.
The owner, Elizabeth, thinks she knows everything about nutrition and exercise and even told me I cannot drink anything with ice while on my juice fast. That's ridiculous. Look at the articles on this topic- the body has to work harder and burn more calories when you drink ice water to get the body back to 98.6 degrees. She also suggested coming off my medication that I've been taking for 20 years, which I quickly said no to. Does she think she's a doctor?
Elizabeth is extremely nasty and not friendly at all. I got lost on \the only real hike because I went slightly ahead and lost track of the markers (I was a hiking guide for many years and have never gotten lost) and when I finally found my way out- 30 minutes later than everyone- she didn't ask me how I was- she started screaming at me "how could I do that? and that should would never go hiking with me again. How do you not ask someone how they are after they were lost for over 40 minutes? I was in shock.
That night in the middle of the night, I got very sick in the bed. There was no one to call at 3:30am since the front desk closes down at 6:30pm and there's no one around. I pulled the sheets off the bed and was sick like a dog. I couldn't even get up to do the morning walk. At 10:30am, Kerri, who helps Elizabeth run the place, knocked on my door and I told her what happened. She said not to worry and they would take care of it and were taking me off the juicing. I was sick all day.
When I went to checkout the next morning, Elizabeth told me that she's is charging me for the sheets. Unreal. She said I should've laundered them myself yet when I checked in and asked if there were laundry facilities so I could wash my stuff, I was told that it has to be done by Kerri for $15. I told her that I wasn't paying for that. She was really nasty and said "no wonder your boyfriend left you". I couldn't believe she just said that.
On a positive note, Kerri is amazing, as is Mary Ellen who gives the massages. Some of the best I have ever had. That's the only reason I'm giving this place 2 stars instead of 1.
Do not stay here if you are looking for a real spa with classes and activities.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
5  Thank Debbie G
copperhood, Owner at Copperhood Retreat & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2017

Thank you for the review. The team at Copperhood strives daily to exceed our guest expectations, and are genuinely sorry when someone feels dissatisfied.

When a potential guest calls to make a reservation, we ask several questions to ensure that the small, private scale of our spa and focus on nature and wholesome wellness is really what the person is looking for. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts we sometimes we fail to recognize a person who is looking for an experience different from the one we offer.

We’ll try to respond to the issues raised in this review: Every day aside from Sunday we offer a 2 hour power walk or hike, meditation and two different fitness classes for a
total of four hours of intense physical activity. These are small often private or semiprivate classes and they are calibrated to the interests and abilities of our visitors.

The staff is on premises 24 hours a day, and guests are provided with a list of phone numbers by which to contact us in case we are not visibly present. There is no “front desk” at the retreat as we mingle with the guests throughout the day to offer guidance and support. In terms of design, we carefully select antique and reproduction furniture in the manner of a classic European spa. There is nothing glossy or shiny in our style, but to call it run-down reveals a different aesthetic than that of the European spa tradition from which we hail, and which inspires us.

Our backroad power walks are used assess guests’ hiking abilities. In this case, the guest’s fitness level was assessed to not be too low for our more rigorous hikes, so we scheduled a very moderate climb. Still, the whole group had to wait for the guest in question every few hundred meters on the way up. This was not a problem, but on the way down she sped ahead, disregarding need to stay with the group,getting lost. It was stressful for everyone involved, and Elizabeth had to call 911 out of concern that the guest was hurt or lost. It seemed to us that this guest, who had told us that she had a hiking guide background, disregarded the well-being and safety of all the other hikers, and in general emotions were running high after the incident.

As for the issue of the guest’s dirty laundry, it would not be ethical for us to respond in detail because the full story would compromise guest privacy.

We’re sorry that there seemed to be a personality clash between some of the staff and this guest. We hope she finds a spa suited to her preference elsewhere.

Reviewed 22 June 2017

Me and my girlfriends were staying nearby at Graham and Co. and wanted to do a spa day since it was raining the whole weekend and we weren't able to enjoy their pool, so we went to Copperhead. Mistake. Not only were both of the women working there a bit rude, I thought it was joke to call this place a spa. The steam room smelled like mildew as did the area around it. The only decent thing was the sauna and the hot tub, which were super basic but fine. I would never recommend this place ever and definitely won't be returning.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
5  Thank Amber V
Reviewed 16 April 2017 via mobile

Elizabeth and team were welcoming and accommodating. Upon entering, we were not sure what exactly to expect but we left relaxed and renewed with a new sense of how to live our lives a little better. They showed us how meals with locally grown foods prepared with love in every bite can be so delicious and meaningful, meditation is easy and essential to the mind, and hiking in nature is a great workout for the body and the senses which you can't get from a gym. Also, loved the pair of llamas that said goodbye to us in their own gentle way. I am so thankful for this experience and will definitely be back for more.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 March 2017 via mobile

I found Copperhood on line and it was one of the best wellness experiences I've ever had. Elizabeth is more knowledgeable about nutrition than any physician I've ever met. She was so approachable and down to earth, I felt like I'd known her forever. She and her husband, along with wonderful Kerry, run a top-notch wellness spa and I never felt deprived during the time I was juicing. It helped me kick-start my diet and I still feel great! I will return!!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Erin D
Reviewed 29 November 2016

My wife and I stayed at Copperhood for 4 days on a juice cleanse retreat. It was a very pleasant and healthful few days. Elizabeth is great and the Juice and subsequent food was outstanding. We had the great luck to meet some wonderful fun folks that we could commiserate with and share a laugh or two. The area is beautiful, the rooms are very comfortable and the facility though a little dated is well kept and clean.

Room Tip: Suites are the way to go!
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple