“YES, IT IS A "SPA"!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shandaken
Copperhood Retreat & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Shandaken B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 July 2017

Copperhead is "a commercial establishment providing facilities devoted especially to health, fitness, weight loss, beauty, and relaxation." It is a spa.

Is it the spa for you? That all depends on who you are.

If you are looking to sit around being spritzed with Evian water by poolside, having dinner brought to you on a silver tray or having 15 new fad exercise classes to chose from each day then you won't like this place and Canyon Ranch may be more your style.

If you want an earthy, natural, casual, unpretentious, challenging, European style environment that encourages you to get out of your comfort zone, see nature as your playground and feel “virtuous” rather than decadent, then you will love it.

You wake early each morning for a hike where you sweat and you learn to deal with hunger and fatigue. You learn what you are capable of and it is empowering. You leave behind makeup, dress clothes, hair products and give yourself over to the experience. It strips away all the pretense and makes you really look at who you are.

Each day there are classes to chose from ranging from ranging from yoga, meditation, barre method, water aerobics, etc. There are peaceful untouched trails to walk all along the property and a huge deck with panoramic views of the Catskill mountains if you just want to sit and read.

Each day you are encouraged to book a treatment to cater to your specific needs. Treatments usually take place after the last class and before dinner. It was a real treat floating down for dinner in a bathrobe after getting a salt scrub and mud bath from Mary Ellen. She is amazing!

Elizabeth, the owner, is an unpretentious, direct and motivational no-nonsense leader who’s job it is to push you to be your best and who does so perfectly. She is not a coddler. She is the real deal and she gets results. If you have no backbone or sense of humor she may not be your cup of tea; nor would you be hers.

Kerri, the lovely lady who serves the juice, lives on the property and is available 24/7 via the room phone. All of this information, and more was in the brochure we were provided at check in. But, I did notice that few people bothered to open the folder and were therefore confused about a few issues.

I know that I hit a wall on my third day of juicing and told Kerri. She brought my juice up to me and checked in on me regularly throughout the day and evening to make sure I was ok. It all comes down to communication.

Juices are fabulous, though I could never get my palette to enjoy the potassium broth, but I was still happy that it was available during the day when energy lagged as it provided a real boost. There is a large and varied supply of spices to “dress up” the broth and make it more palatable.

I was grateful for the refreshment area in the lobby which was accessible 24/7 and provided constant water refills, tea, coffee (though it is discouraged), coffee substitutes, lemonade mix and other treats that helped cub any nighttime hunger.

I was also happy that there were free toiletries available as I had forgotten to pack mine.

I was in Room 120 and must say it was bigger than my apartment in the city. It was comfortable, beautifully decorated and had a fabulous balcony with mountain views. Though the air conditioner worked perfectly I opted to sleep with the balcony doors opened to hear the crickets, birds and breeze through the trees. It was heaven.

If you bring a car, it is a short drive into Woodstock and other little villages nearby which are delightful.

In a nutshell, if you have the wrong attitude, you won’t like it. If you don’t communicate your needs, they won’t be met. That’s real life and that’s what Copperhead offers you.

Room Tip: Ask for upstairs room with mountain view.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Camilla M

Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

To start, this "inn and spa" costs between $450 and $500/night with only 3 classes a day (one of which is the "hike"). I came for 9 nights for the juicing, the spa and the classes to quickly lose some weight for a special occasion coming up. I also wanted to just detox in general because I went through a horrible breakup.
When I pulled up to the inn, I was shocked. It was not what I expected for that much money (over $4100 with only $175 credit for spa services). It looks run down on the outside and is even more run down on the inside. Another reviewer said it is like a motel 6 with a pool, and I agree.
Although the website boasts "a wide range of indoor and outdoor activities", the only organized activity is a walk on mountain roads (there was only 1 hike in the mountains the whole 9 days I was there), and 2 other classes in the gym- which is over 90 degrees because the owner refused to put on the Air conditioning- even thought everyone- including the instructor- was sweating. How can you work out when you are sweating like crazy and feeling faint from juicing with no AC?? Note that there are also no classes or anything going on Sunday. So you are paying $450/night to sleep and drink 3 juices a day.
The place is really small- at times there were only 2 of us staying there. With the lack of classes and only 2 people, it can be quite boring there.
The owner, Elizabeth, thinks she knows everything about nutrition and exercise and even told me I cannot drink anything with ice while on my juice fast. That's ridiculous. Look at the articles on this topic- the body has to work harder and burn more calories when you drink ice water to get the body back to 98.6 degrees. She also suggested coming off my medication that I've been taking for 20 years, which I quickly said no to. Does she think she's a doctor?
Elizabeth is extremely nasty and not friendly at all. I got lost on \the only real hike because I went slightly ahead and lost track of the markers (I was a hiking guide for many years and have never gotten lost) and when I finally found my way out- 30 minutes later than everyone- she didn't ask me how I was- she started screaming at me "how could I do that? and that should would never go hiking with me again. How do you not ask someone how they are after they were lost for over 40 minutes? I was in shock.
That night in the middle of the night, I got very sick in the bed. There was no one to call at 3:30am since the front desk closes down at 6:30pm and there's no one around. I pulled the sheets off the bed and was sick like a dog. I couldn't even get up to do the morning walk. At 10:30am, Kerri, who helps Elizabeth run the place, knocked on my door and I told her what happened. She said not to worry and they would take care of it and were taking me off the juicing. I was sick all day.
When I went to checkout the next morning, Elizabeth told me that she's is charging me for the sheets. Unreal. She said I should've laundered them myself yet when I checked in and asked if there were laundry facilities so I could wash my stuff, I was told that it has to be done by Kerri for $15. I told her that I wasn't paying for that. She was really nasty and said "no wonder your boyfriend left you". I couldn't believe she just said that.
On a positive note, Kerri is amazing, as is Mary Ellen who gives the massages. Some of the best I have ever had. That's the only reason I'm giving this place 2 stars instead of 1.
Do not stay here if you are looking for a real spa with classes and activities.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Debbie G
copperhood, Owner at Copperhood Retreat & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2017

Thank you for the review. The team at Copperhood strives daily to exceed our guest expectations, and are genuinely sorry when someone feels dissatisfied.

When a potential guest calls to make a reservation, we ask several questions to ensure that the small, private scale of our spa and focus on nature and wholesome wellness is really what the person is looking for. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts we sometimes we fail to recognize a person who is looking for an experience different from the one we offer.

We’ll try to respond to the issues raised in this review: Every day aside from Sunday we offer a 2 hour power walk or hike, meditation and two different fitness classes for a
total of four hours of intense physical activity. These are small often private or semiprivate classes and they are calibrated to the interests and abilities of our visitors.

The staff is on premises 24 hours a day, and guests are provided with a list of phone numbers by which to contact us in case we are not visibly present. There is no “front desk” at the retreat as we mingle with the guests throughout the day to offer guidance and support. In terms of design, we carefully select antique and reproduction furniture in the manner of a classic European spa. There is nothing glossy or shiny in our style, but to call it run-down reveals a different aesthetic than that of the European spa tradition from which we hail, and which inspires us.

Our backroad power walks are used assess guests’ hiking abilities. In this case, the guest’s fitness level was assessed to not be too low for our more rigorous hikes, so we scheduled a very moderate climb. Still, the whole group had to wait for the guest in question every few hundred meters on the way up. This was not a problem, but on the way down she sped ahead, disregarding need to stay with the group,getting lost. It was stressful for everyone involved, and Elizabeth had to call 911 out of concern that the guest was hurt or lost. It seemed to us that this guest, who had told us that she had a hiking guide background, disregarded the well-being and safety of all the other hikers, and in general emotions were running high after the incident.

As for the issue of the guest’s dirty laundry, it would not be ethical for us to respond in detail because the full story would compromise guest privacy.

We’re sorry that there seemed to be a personality clash between some of the staff and this guest. We hope she finds a spa suited to her preference elsewhere.

Reviewed 22 June 2017

Me and my girlfriends were staying nearby at Graham and Co. and wanted to do a spa day since it was raining the whole weekend and we weren't able to enjoy their pool, so we went to Copperhead. Mistake. Not only were both of the women working there a bit rude, I thought it was joke to call this place a spa. The steam room smelled like mildew as did the area around it. The only decent thing was the sauna and the hot tub, which were super basic but fine. I would never recommend this place ever and definitely won't be returning.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Amber V
Reviewed 16 April 2017 via mobile

Elizabeth and team were welcoming and accommodating. Upon entering, we were not sure what exactly to expect but we left relaxed and renewed with a new sense of how to live our lives a little better. They showed us how meals with locally grown foods prepared with love in every bite can be so delicious and meaningful, meditation is easy and essential to the mind, and hiking in nature is a great workout for the body and the senses which you can't get from a gym. Also, loved the pair of llamas that said goodbye to us in their own gentle way. I am so thankful for this experience and will definitely be back for more.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 March 2017 via mobile

I found Copperhood on line and it was one of the best wellness experiences I've ever had. Elizabeth is more knowledgeable about nutrition than any physician I've ever met. She was so approachable and down to earth, I felt like I'd known her forever. She and her husband, along with wonderful Kerry, run a top-notch wellness spa and I never felt deprived during the time I was juicing. It helped me kick-start my diet and I still feel great! I will return!!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Erin D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shandaken
23.7 km away
4.6 km away
Catskill Seasons Inn
Catskill Seasons Inn
#2 of 3 in Shandaken

Been to Copperhood Retreat & Spa? Share your experiences!