“Oasis of calm and health”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shandaken
Copperhood Retreat & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Shandaken B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 November 2009

I traveled with my husband to the Cooperhood for a two night stay. By the time we left on Monday morning, I felt like I had been away from my hectic NYC lifestyle for a week. Between the beautiful yoga classes, pool and jacuzzi, enjoing the beautiful scenery during a hike and the wonderfully prepared healthful food, the Cooperhood is a truly healthful and unique experience. Also, I had an amazing massage. The owner and staff are warm and welcoming and the facilites are all top-notch. Our room faced a calming river that flows through the back of the property and part of the property is an island on the river where two friendly goats live (and a tennis court for the guests to play!). Be good to yourself and take a weekend getaway!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 November 2009

This was my 1st solo trip and I wanted to do something interesting that I have never done, hence a spa getaway. The problem was with me, I am a city person through and through and I couldn't open myself up enough, especially being alone, to all that Copperhood had to offer. I tried to experience it all forgetting that I was on vacation and that I should be relaxed. I would leave my room in the morning for breakfast and return to it being cleaned and my bed made. The food was great and I never had to think about it, it was just appeared in front of me. I loved to just walk everywhere in my complimentary robe and no one looks at you strange. The decks were a great place to relax. I could sit and stare at the rapids that ran behind my room. The water activities were the best. The massages/facials were excellent. Free internet let me get my work done, though no cell service was a little hard to take. The only downside was it was fairly empty when I stayed which for a city person like me who needs the hustle and bustle just added to the unknown of the vacation.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 October 2009

For my husband's birthday I wanted a lovely weekend getaway in the woods to see the fall foliage. We both LOVE the hotel/spa experience so I thought this place would be perfect. Because of our tight work schedules we couldn't do more than one night. Other recommended places had a two night minimum and Copperhood didn't, so it was the place I chose. This was a surprise weekend getaway I planned for us. The owner and manager encouraged me on the phone to stay longer because the program she offers is much better for longer stays. I appreciated her pitch, but communicated we only had one night from to escape our hectic lives in NY and she promised this would be a perfect respite. What she offered was a detox/cleansing program, which I am a huge fan of and travel at least once a year to a similar, but far superior place in the California desert. My point is, I will travel anywhere for a great spa experience.
I also thought that if a place was charging five star prices, there is no way it can't be decent. to be specific she charged my card 996.00 for one night prior to our arrival.
From the minute we entered, I knew this was not the right choice.
-outside where we pull in there was a dirty dog pen with a chain link fence.
-the lobby felt like a youth hostel, but with no guests.
-the room was dirty with a blood stained blanket.
when we brought it to the owners attention, she became defensive and said it was not possible. she takes pride in cleanliness.

Copperhood has amazing potential to be a gem of a place.
-The location is PERFECT
-The food is quite decent
-The yoga room is the best part of this place...glass windows overlooking the woods and flowing river
-great fitness facility

My husband was right, I should have read the tripadvisor reviews before booking (which i didn't unfortunately!) because many people complained of the same things. i would expect this kind of thing if it were 1/2 the price. This was high season in the Catskills and only one other guest was staying there, so that in itself says a whole lot. Every other place was fully booked.
When we were checking out I expressed my discontent and disappointment to Elizabeth and she said "This is one of the best places you can possibly go to. You just can't appreciate it. You are so NEW YORK" Well given that we are in New York...I wondered if she meant, SO JEWISH, and that was an anti-semitic slur.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
12  Thank newyorkspalover
Reviewed 29 September 2009

Coming back felt like coming home, the way you would like home to be, relaxing, healthy, cozy, peaceful, joyful, and fun. The food was delicious, great yoga classes, yoga studio filled with light, great star gazing and a large room where you can relax, dance, watch a movie or just hang. Rad gives the best massages and I cannot wait to go again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 September 2009

I returned to the Copperhood for a full week of detoxing and personal care. Somehow I found the courage to submit to a total raw food diet that would help detox and rejuvenate the body, and surprise surpirse, the food was DELICIOUS, SUCCULENT and APPETIZING. I had been to the Copperhood before for a short juice fast and it was then that I learned about the raw food diet.

After the full week I simply want to report three totally amazing things. First, I'd dropped over 8 pounds. Second, my blood sugar levels had returned way way down into the normal range. And third, my blood pressure was consistantly normal. All three of these are goals I've been sturggling to achieve for months and months now. And it was all accomplished in a single week... amazing!

I know that follow up is the hard part, but I'm trying to incorporate everything I've been learning from the wonderful staff at the Copperhood into my daily rituals. Numbers have bounced up a bit, but are not dramatic, and I'm working to bring them into rational ranges. I am able to do this because of the tools and teaching I got at the Copperhood.

Now, besides learning all this stuff, the place is simply beautiful, tranquility at its best, luxurious and surrounded by luscious scenery. The spa facilities are some of the best I've had the pleasure to enjoy and the staff and technicians were friendly, compassionate and helpful. Daily exercises in the pool, doing yoga and Pilates under the care and instruction of trained leaders, learning power breathing and meditation from Elizabeth, long walks in the countryside and languid laziness lounging about all helped to relax the soul, calm the mind and help to digest all that damned fiber!!!

Will I go again? You bet! As often as I can and as often as they will let me!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shandaken
23.8 km away
4.6 km away
Catskill Seasons Inn
Catskill Seasons Inn
#2 of 3 in Shandaken

Been to Copperhood Retreat & Spa? Share your experiences!