“Needs a lot of work”

Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Schenectady
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Needs a lot of work”
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Usually Super 8 is a great choice, but not this one, but we stayed due to timing in the day. The staff was helpful when the TV and the hairdryer would not work. The room was in need of an upgrade, the bedspreads had holes, the heater was right beside the bed and the coffee pot had not been cleaned out from the previous owners..gross.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank KLP48

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed 24 September 2011

The first room I was given did not even have pillowcases on the pillows, and the front desk didn't have any. That room was the grossest room I've ever seen in my life-absolutely filthy. I had to change rooms due to the fact they had no more pillowcases (in a motel!). The carpet and the walls were disgusting. The outside doors do not lock so anyone can enter the motel- and there is no lighting by the outside door. The carpets are just gross- ugh, everywhere! The coup de gras was when I tried to get a soda from the soda machine. Sorry! All the soda and snack machines are empty!
We sure pay a lot in hotel taxes at these creepy dumps, and we're constantly getting taken for a ride. Why aren't the counties that gouge us with these taxes inspecting these places?

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank beachglass68

Travellers are raving about these Schenectady hotels

Marlboro, New York
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Generally we've had pleasant stays at Super 8s but unfortanately this stay was not pleasant. The room was tiny and the carpet was dirty. The bedsheets and the bathroom were clean fortunately. The staff was not helpful when we asked about another room or about getting this one vacuumed. If we could have found another hotel we would have, but with college homecomings and reunions everything was booked up. Fortunately we were only there for 1 night. Find another place to stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank dengaro
Kingsford, Michigan
Reviewed 14 August 2011

After finding no other vacancies in town, this not-so Super 8 was about all that was available. Where do I start... Large spider and webbing in bath, carpets very dirty and not vacuumed, bed speread very old and dirty, furnishings were cheap 1970s vintage. The bed sheets may have been clean but we did not take any chances and slept in our clothes. There was mold in the icebucket too! Need I say more? This place should be shut down!

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Midland98
Durham, New Hampshire
Reviewed 14 May 2011

All we needed was a clean and decent room for the night. We were gravely disappointed. I'm not a picky person and I've never written a bad review anywhere. But I feel compelled to warn others about the conditions of this place.

The first thing I noticed was how strangely small the room was. Barely enough room to walk around a single full size bed. Especially considering this was supposed to be a wheel chair accessible unit. I couldn't help but wonder how a person could possibly get into the bed from a wheel chair. Another thing that struck me as odd was the wheel chair accessible bathroom had a regular bath tub in it. Unless you are able to stand or step in and sit up on a stool in the shower, you would be out of luck there.

Then I noticed a very old and small television in a cabinet above the closet in the corner of the room. Next to it was some trash from the previous guest. I’ve been in hospital rooms much more comfortable than this room. There was an iron in the closet with no board. There was absolutely no place to put toiletries, curling irons, or anything like that. It was very difficult getting the two of us showered and groomed.

Now for the biggest horror of all. This is what prompted me to write this review at all. The comforter was not only stained, but I would be willing to bet it was a few years old and had never been washed. It had many stains from bodily fluids all over it, including feces! All else could have been forgiven if it weren’t for this obvious disregard for basic cleanliness.

Then around 7am the hallway was filled with non-stop loud conversation. I thought it must have been a cleaning crew with no regard for sleeping guests. I was surprised when we went out to get our continental breakfast to see that it was the front desk clerk chatting it up with other guests at a high volume. There wasn’t much to the breakfast. We had to ask for bagels. But it was okay. It was set up in another tiny unoccupied room which I thought was odd.

I will never go there again. You can pay the same for a clean and decent room many other places.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple