All reviews private lesson hot tub main building skill level clay courts hard courts round robin the barn saturday night clean towels the tri state area cherry hill great instruction culinary institute board games can't wait to go back new friends
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Just got back from the Sunday through Wednesday session at Total Tennis. It was my second time there and it was great. The early week session tends to have fewer people than the weekend, so I find it very friendly and comfortable. I am always impressed with the number of people who are repeat guests.

The accommodations are adequate, the instruction was terrific, and the food was excellent. There is plenty of locally grown fruits and veggies. It is a nice low tech few days where you can play tennis, have good conversations, and enjoy the scenery.

It was very hot and sunny, so in the afternoon we went inside for tennis. I don't like the air inside, but it was better than the relentless sun.

I believe that TT goes out of its way for customer service. With advanced notice, the chef honored a request for a favorite lunch of one of my repeat co-travelers and I appreciated the room clean up and clean towels on the third morning, so we had what we needed after our lessons on the last day.

Room Tip: If you are rooming with a friend, Cherry Hill is nice because there is a wall between the two beds giving some privacy.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank RivkaZ
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Total Tennis is not a resort. It is tennis camp. The accommodations are basic with small rooms that look a little dilapidated. The bed was comfortable. But the lodge common areas are nice and the food is very good. My tennis experience was very good also - good drills, lots of balls to hit, and an interested instructor that kept things moving and provided useful advise. I think it is very important to be with a good group to get the improvement you want out of the program. I was in a 3.5 group and was compatible with the skill level of the 3 other players. You won't be happy if you are incompatible with your group.
Mealtime is nice, and very social. They had a nice wine and cheese one night, which was enjoyable.
I would go back.

Room Tip: Paying extra to be in the lodge is not worth the money. Get the cheapest room, it won't make a difference.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank ajerseyshoreguy
Reviewed 9 July 2013

The accommodations are very basic but clean and comfortable. The rooms are on the smaller side compared to regular hotel rooms. The food was very good since a lot of locally sourced organic produce is used and the resident chef cooks up a great meal. The bigger issues this time was the use of outside courts in 95 deg heat. Although there were water stations on and around the courts, there was a distinct absence of shade on the courts themselves aside from a rickety wooden stand set up between courts.

I'd recommend Total Tennis consider putting up some sort of expanded shade (tent, awnings etc) or utilize indoor courts in extreme heat situations. The instructors and the players were having a tough time enjoying tennis.

Room Tip: choose one of the cabins and stay away from Chelsea or the Barn
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vishal M
Reviewed 21 June 2013

What can I say? I had the best break ever at Total Tennis (2 days). The room was basic but clean and had a great firm mattress. The tennis pro was really great (Vic) and his drills and games really made sense. The food was SURPRISINGLY GOOD. The program and the service were perfect (they have everything you forgot at home ready for you at the counter: sunscreen, after sun lotion and ibuprofen). Ah, the location was picturesque. I think the fact that so many people keep going back year after year is the best testament to the quality of the experience offered by Total Tennis. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: My room in the main lodge (on top of the bar area) gave me continuous access to the wifi.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Paolo P
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I went to Total Tennis (TT). I realized, upon arrival, that the accommodations were looking to be sub-standard (see more below) but I was there for the instruction, which was to be good.

I arrived on Thursday and was told that I was not able to play the 2 hours of tennis because I arrived 45 minutes late. Although, I could have made the last 1 hour of tennis - drill class, TT refused to put me in a group . OK. I paid for something that they would not deliver. I let that go.

I had a great instructor the first full day and the next 1/2 day. Although, the balls used on the courts were old - did not bounce (feared getting tennis elbow from old balls) and the courts had weeds growing in them, the instructor was good.

Ed then changed my group because others were coming in for weekend. The second instructor did not instruct, took off his shoes to rub his feet, sat down off to the side of court, took long breaks between drills and seemed to be angry or tired. All right, everyone has bad days but I was paying approximately, $250 / day of instruction, which I was not getting.

The third day, I asked Ed to put me back in my old group with the good instructor but Ed would not do so. Ed would not refund the last day of instruction but AMEX will because Ed is not delivering what is promised. Thank you, AMEX.

The way I see this situation is that If Ed is only able to sell you sub-standard tennis instruction, etc. then don't pay for something that you do not want. He is bound by a contract and he is contracted to deliver good tennis instruction. If he does not then don't take the class and don't pay for the class, not attended.

My conclusion is that this tennis camp (TT) is for those who can NOT afford the high rates of courts, in NYC. Very few customers were not from NYC. If you can afford to go elsewhere, then that is what I would recommend, because, it is the luck of the draw if you get good instruction or not.

Also, I think the possible exposure to disease may be high.

The food is good but the plates have old caked/ dried food on them (there must be a problem with their dishwashers).

The main building smelled of mold (I had nose bleeds) and animals had made nests in the eaves of the roofs. The buildings were missing gutters and the exteriors were not maintained.

I worried at night, how many rodents were running around the kitchen and sleeping quarters (ant traps were evident in the kitchen). The accommodations are, in my opinion, sub-standard. I rented the newly remodeled rooms for an upgrade and ants were crawling everywhere.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo