All reviews private lesson hot tub main building skill level clay courts hard courts round robin the barn saturday night clean towels the tri state area cherry hill great instruction culinary institute board games can't wait to go back new friends
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I went to Total Tennis (TT). I realized, upon arrival, that the accommodations were looking to be sub-standard (see more below) but I was there for the instruction, which was to be good.

I arrived on Thursday and was told that I was not able to play the 2 hours of tennis because I arrived 45 minutes late. Although, I could have made the last 1 hour of tennis - drill class, TT refused to put me in a group . OK. I paid for something that they would not deliver. I let that go.

I had a great instructor the first full day and the next 1/2 day. Although, the balls used on the courts were old - did not bounce (feared getting tennis elbow from old balls) and the courts had weeds growing in them, the instructor was good.

Ed then changed my group because others were coming in for weekend. The second instructor did not instruct, took off his shoes to rub his feet, sat down off to the side of court, took long breaks between drills and seemed to be angry or tired. All right, everyone has bad days but I was paying approximately, $250 / day of instruction, which I was not getting.

The third day, I asked Ed to put me back in my old group with the good instructor but Ed would not do so. Ed would not refund the last day of instruction but AMEX will because Ed is not delivering what is promised. Thank you, AMEX.

The way I see this situation is that If Ed is only able to sell you sub-standard tennis instruction, etc. then don't pay for something that you do not want. He is bound by a contract and he is contracted to deliver good tennis instruction. If he does not then don't take the class and don't pay for the class, not attended.

My conclusion is that this tennis camp (TT) is for those who can NOT afford the high rates of courts, in NYC. Very few customers were not from NYC. If you can afford to go elsewhere, then that is what I would recommend, because, it is the luck of the draw if you get good instruction or not.

Also, I think the possible exposure to disease may be high.

The food is good but the plates have old caked/ dried food on them (there must be a problem with their dishwashers).

The main building smelled of mold (I had nose bleeds) and animals had made nests in the eaves of the roofs. The buildings were missing gutters and the exteriors were not maintained.

I worried at night, how many rodents were running around the kitchen and sleeping quarters (ant traps were evident in the kitchen). The accommodations are, in my opinion, sub-standard. I rented the newly remodeled rooms for an upgrade and ants were crawling everywhere.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
9  Thank Jo A
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I finally made it up to Total Tennis and was totally thrilled with the experience. The rooms are rustic but just fine for the price and you're out on the courts all day anyway. Instruction was top-notch, a little theory, some gentle correction, lots of live ball drills and good humor. Courts are gorgeous and they've just added paddle. Food was terrific, as well documented. Staff couldn't have been nicer and they even have an extended check out so you can shower in your own room after the last session before leaving. I've been to a lot of tennis camps and this one puts all others to shame. It was just fine for a solo traveler, people are friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank mblxvNYC
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Just got back from a weekend at Total Tennis and I rate the food 5 stars for the excellent preparation and taste for the organic, free range ingredients. We looked forward to every meal and knowing you were going on the tennis courts, otherwise overeating could easily become a problem.

Our room was very tiny but very clean and modern. Tennis instruction for us was great as we are 3.5 and 4.0 players. We had Bob and Tony who we enjoyed very much and gave us the lessons we needed in a nice way. We can't wait to come back but we are exhausted and well fed!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ann0426
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We were a large group who returned to total tennis for the 2nd time.First time was good but tennis instructor was not very good. This time around we had a fabulous instructor( Victor) who put us through some great drills and offered instructive feedback. Totally different experience.Will definitely return.

Room Tip: We liked the rooms outside of the main bldg.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nancy G
Reviewed 11 January 2013

I was hesitant to book this place based on some of the reviews on TripAdvisor but boy am I glad we took the chance! My wife and I just went for a one night Sunday-Monday session - there were nine guests and everything was wonderful:

- The rooms are older (no TV) but fine for what you are there for (a tennis camp)
- The staff was lovely and very accommodating
- The food was much better than expected - it was buffet style but there were a couple of excellent choices at each meal. Very healthy options if that suits your fancy
- The tennis instructors were excellent - much better and more intense than my local club. There were able to accommodate three different levels of players (my wife is a 2.5 beginner, I was in a 3.5 group, and a third group of 4.0+ players) on an off weekend.

I'm speculating most of the negative reviews are from finicky tennis players who believe they get placed in the "wrong group" during the lessons. But after 4 hours of lessons, match play after the lessons, a half hour private lessons, and a tennis mixer at night, there should be more quality tennis than any one person could ask for.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple