“Best break ever!”
Review of Total Tennis

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saugerties
Total Tennis
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Saugerties
Reviewed 21 June 2013

What can I say? I had the best break ever at Total Tennis (2 days). The room was basic but clean and had a great firm mattress. The tennis pro was really great (Vic) and his drills and games really made sense. The food was SURPRISINGLY GOOD. The program and the service were perfect (they have everything you forgot at home ready for you at the counter: sunscreen, after sun lotion and ibuprofen). Ah, the location was picturesque. I think the fact that so many people keep going back year after year is the best testament to the quality of the experience offered by Total Tennis. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: My room in the main lodge (on top of the bar area) gave me continuous access to the wifi.
3  Thank palmerop

Reviewed 19 June 2013

I went to Total Tennis (TT). I realized, upon arrival, that the accommodations were looking to be sub-standard (see more below) but I was there for the instruction, which was to be good.

I arrived on Thursday and was told that I was not able to play the 2 hours of tennis because I arrived 45 minutes late. Although, I could have made the last 1 hour of tennis - drill class, TT refused to put me in a group . OK. I paid for something that they would not deliver. I let that go.

I had a great instructor the first full day and the next 1/2 day. Although, the balls used on the courts were old - did not bounce (feared getting tennis elbow from old balls) and the courts had weeds growing in them, the instructor was good.

Ed then changed my group because others were coming in for weekend. The second instructor did not instruct, took off his shoes to rub his feet, sat down off to the side of court, took long breaks between drills and seemed to be angry or tired. All right, everyone has bad days but I was paying approximately, $250 / day of instruction, which I was not getting.

The third day, I asked Ed to put me back in my old group with the good instructor but Ed would not do so. Ed would not refund the last day of instruction but AMEX will because Ed is not delivering what is promised. Thank you, AMEX.

The way I see this situation is that If Ed is only able to sell you sub-standard tennis instruction, etc. then don't pay for something that you do not want. He is bound by a contract and he is contracted to deliver good tennis instruction. If he does not then don't take the class and don't pay for the class, not attended.

My conclusion is that this tennis camp (TT) is for those who can NOT afford the high rates of courts, in NYC. Very few customers were not from NYC. If you can afford to go elsewhere, then that is what I would recommend, because, it is the luck of the draw if you get good instruction or not.

Also, I think the possible exposure to disease may be high.

The food is good but the plates have old caked/ dried food on them (there must be a problem with their dishwashers).

The main building smelled of mold (I had nose bleeds) and animals had made nests in the eaves of the roofs. The buildings were missing gutters and the exteriors were not maintained.

I worried at night, how many rodents were running around the kitchen and sleeping quarters (ant traps were evident in the kitchen). The accommodations are, in my opinion, sub-standard. I rented the newly remodeled rooms for an upgrade and ants were crawling everywhere.

9  Thank Jo A
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I finally made it up to Total Tennis and was totally thrilled with the experience. The rooms are rustic but just fine for the price and you're out on the courts all day anyway. Instruction was top-notch, a little theory, some gentle correction, lots of live ball drills and good humor. Courts are gorgeous and they've just added paddle. Food was terrific, as well documented. Staff couldn't have been nicer and they even have an extended check out so you can shower in your own room after the last session before leaving. I've been to a lot of tennis camps and this one puts all others to shame. It was just fine for a solo traveler, people are friendly and helpful.

3  Thank mblxvNYC
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Just got back from a weekend at Total Tennis and I rate the food 5 stars for the excellent preparation and taste for the organic, free range ingredients. We looked forward to every meal and knowing you were going on the tennis courts, otherwise overeating could easily become a problem.

Our room was very tiny but very clean and modern. Tennis instruction for us was great as we are 3.5 and 4.0 players. We had Bob and Tony who we enjoyed very much and gave us the lessons we needed in a nice way. We can't wait to come back but we are exhausted and well fed!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ann0426
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We were a large group who returned to total tennis for the 2nd time.First time was good but tennis instructor was not very good. This time around we had a fabulous instructor( Victor) who put us through some great drills and offered instructive feedback. Totally different experience.Will definitely return.

Room Tip: We liked the rooms outside of the main bldg.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nancy G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugerties
4 km away
5 km away
Bohemian Inn
Bohemian Inn
#5 of 16 in Saugerties

Been to Total Tennis? Share your experiences!