“A bit of "home" cooking”

Ruby's Oyster Bar & Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Ruby's Oyster Bar & Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 55 Restaurants in Rye
Price range: USD 0 - USD 50
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Elm Place
Description: Ruby's is a brilliant gem in downtown Rye. It is chic, casual and comfortable. It charms guests with its varied menu, friendly and professional service, and its lively ambience. Ruby's stylish decor showcases an authentic zinc bar from Paris, beaded chandeliers and ruby red drapes. From its coffered ceiling and tasseled sconces down to its marble mosaic floor, no precious stone has been left unturned.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I made a reservation based on TripAdvisor ratings and didn't realize that it was actually French restaurant, since the name doesn't give you any indication. It was a pleasant surprise!
There were three of us. I started with a plate of escargots. they come by the 1/2 dozen and with a slight twist, they have a hint of anise, in addition to the customary parsley, garlic and butter. I think it could have used a little bit more butter, but overall it was yummy. The French Onion soup could have used a bit more cheese on top, and the Grilled Octopus was served with some arugula and a bunch of sliced red onion and was reportedly very well done.
As a main course, I had the Scallops with Risotto. The scallops were cooked to perfection and the risotto had a lot going on, but overall was good. The liver was outstanding and the chicken sandwich was also very good.
For dessert, we share the Warm Sticky Toffee Pudding and that alone was worth the trip. Definitely save some room. It was on the specials menu, so I'm not sure how often the have it, but if they do and you have sweet tooth don't even think twice about it and go for it!

Reviewed 22 March 2018

Ruby's has some of the most delicious food in Rye. It's a constant birthday dinner for my family. They have the most wonderful staff as well. As someone who has lived in Rye all my life, this restaurant is timeless!

Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

We ordered soups on a Sunday afternoon. We liked the atmosphere - bistro, lights were dimmed, not too crowded, seats comfortable. Bread basket had bread that clearly was precut, a tad stale on the outside. Lobster bisque had 2 chunks of lobster and was good ($10) but was warm not hot. The special soup, white bean and chicken, ($8) was puréed. Would have liked server to mention it was puréed. Would not have ordered it if I knew. I even asked if I received the right soup. This soup was extremely hot.

Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

We came here for dinner and we had a good time. The place has a nice atmosphere and while crowded it wasn’t noisy making it easy to have a conversation. We liked the variety of food options on the menu. The food itself was also very good. They have a decent wine list with lots of well priced options. The only complaint I have is service was slow and not very attentive - some requests had to be repeated. But the place was busy so that may not be the norm.

Reviewed 20 January 2018 via mobile

Went here this evening for dinner and had the beet salad which was great. I had the burger and my partner had the steak which was gorgeous.
The service was swift and on point and the environment pleasant. Reliable place to visit if you want good service and food.