“Quiet and good food”

Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: University Ave.
Reviewed 17 September 2018

My wife treated me to brunch today at Lento. We don't often do brunch and haven't been to Lento in a while. Although we were the only ones there (later joined by two couples) and there were signs of deteriorating ambiance (peeling naugahyde seats at the oyster bar), the server was fine and the food great. My wife had a modified wild Alaskan salmon croquette Benedict, which she said was excellent, and they offered good substitutes for the creamed chard and citrus Hollandaise that she shunned. If the day had been cooler, I probably would have had the Israeli shakshuka, but I ordered the frittata (pan-roasted forest mushrooms, squash, Parmesan, and herbs) instead. I've always had trouble making a good frittata, so I'm always looking for a good one to match my first one in Milan many years ago. This was it. It was served with ordinary sourdough toast (crostini, really). I also ate my wife's pan-roasted garlic-herb potatoes, which were a little dray and quite ordinary. All said, though, I'm anxious to back when the weather's cooler for the shakshuka.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 17 September 2018

We wandered into Lento's for brunch this morning. I was excited from reading previous reviews. We were greeted at the door by a very snobby young man who rudely asked "Do you have a reservation?" Not only was his tone rude, but the restaurant was empty except for one other couple in the entire restaurant. I could have been funny if he wasn't so snobbish. We followed him to a table where he informed us that someone else would be waiting on us and left. (Thank goodness!) We eventually were given menus and water but it took about 8 minutes to get any attention, did I mention that the restaurant was empty! Eventually the server came to ask us if we'd like to order and we made our choices. My friend ordered the breakfast sandwich and on the recommendation of the server, I ordered the "carnitas." I know this is the Northeast part of the country but what they brought me was not only cold, but didn't even resemble carnitas. It was cubed pork in a sweet red sauce. I didn't even know what to say. All in all, I wouldn't recommend going here and I am not going back.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 8 August 2018

With the kids away at camp, it was time for a rare date night for us. On the advice of a friend, we tried Lento and were amazed. For appetizers, we indulged on Crows Creek (MA) and Malpeque (PEI), although there were half a dozen additional choices as well (Tuesdays are dollar oyster night). I had the summer risotto and she had the diver's scallops. Risotto is typically a bit hot and hearty for summer, but this was anything but. The dish was light and bursting with flavor, the acidic notes balancing the rich flavors of cheese and rice. Her scallops were cooked perfectly, atop a mix of noodles, and locally grown vegetables that created great flavor without overwhelming the scallops. Accompanied by a summer mocktini and a crisp NZ (Marlborough) sauvignon blanc it was a rare treat indeed. We will be back soon!

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

We went for our anniversary before seeing a show. We sat at the bar and had drinks and appetizers. Everything was excellent!

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 6 August 2018

Popped in to Lento during our visit to Rochester for an engagement party. The oysters were excellent the service attentive and the cocktails cold. Loved the building. Reasonable pricing. Enjoy!

Date of visit: July 2018