“Still nice vaca, but downgrading”

Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Queensbury
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I was at this hotel in 2009 and I had to get back on and update. Since then the interior of the hotel is getting worn down without upkeep. The carpets in the room are getting worn and stained, the room I was in had 2 big water stains on the ceiling and one had black mold on it. Then we couldn't get a hot shower because the management turned down the heat. I called to complain and they eventually turned the heat up. Lifeguard at the water park yelled at me because I didn't shut the gate at the Jacuuzi. I noticed that most of the other lifeguards are not friendly. Also the steel beams inside the water park are getting pretty rusty and noticed some broken tiles. Watch out for the restaurant across from the front desk. Very expensive and not very good or substantial. Although you can't get a hot shower, you can get a hot rock massage for and extra $150. Johnny Rockets is still good and the staff friendly. Arcade is fun. Much newer and cheaper rooms in area if water park is not a neccesity.

Room Tip: I noticed carpenters working on a room. Ask for a recently remodelled room when you make the reserv...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank pats-in08

Reviewed 8 May 2012

We went this year during an extremely low period-early MAY (I dont know if 20/30 rooms were occupied) the hotel does a terrible job with maintining its integrity to its customers during this time...
I have 3 children under 5 and NEVER ONCE saw a character (esp SCOOBY) the whole 36 hours we were there.. The only time I could have had the chance was to see SCOOBY was for cookies and milk to our room (for $36.00 - u have to be kidding right). Water park was fun for the kids, bathrooms disgusting..Rooms were ok-
I knew that the hotel was a a ghost town so hoped for an upgrade to see what other rooms were like & was told that it would be an extra $40-$60 -- NO complimentary anything here. What they fail to realize if you give a family an upgrade now they probably will pay for the bigger room next time..BAD BUSINESS decision here... Also- the park was only open from 9-12 on check out-- I asked for a late check out (12:00) was told NO--seriously again this hotel was a ghost town and we couldnt stay an extra hour to shower before our 3 hour drive home..Very disappointing.

Room Tip: Ask for a roomo on the 4th floor its quiet. Beware of KIDS CLUB-not family friendly-many of the chil...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank luvstj04
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We had a great time! Waterpark was fun. Room was huge and very clean. Very reasonable rate of $149/ night which included the room and waterpark. Desk staff were helpful and very nice. Food was overpriced, but that is to be expected when you have a 'captive' audience (off-season, Lake George is like a ghost town). Adult breakfast buffet was $21. We decided to pass on that.We also avoided the arcade as we figured it would be a money pit. The lockers in the Waterpark are outrageously expensive too...$15!!! Other than that, no complaints I would definitely recommend to anyone with kids under 12.

Reviewed 29 April 2012

If I could, I'd rate this a 3.5 but in the end, our family had a great time anyways. Its very much like the Great Wolf Lodge indoor waterpark resorts. They have several of those around the country so that should frame the experience. If you have been to Great Wolf and thought it was "awesome", then Great Escape is just "good". I didn't want to spend the entire review doing a feature by feature comparison with Great Wolf but this gives you a general idea and I rated GWL 4 stars.

Location: Its near Lake George so in the end, the great thing is you can enjoy a lot of things around the area. If you factor in Lake George in the equation, its a great area for the family. Its also right across the road from the amusement park which is also a big thing. Its about 10 mins south of Lake George Village.

Activities: Its probably optimal for families with younger children. The waterpark is good but smaller than others we've been to. They have a zero-depth (not quite but pretty shallow) pool for toddlers, a lazy river, water tree house and a few water slides. One cool thing is boogie board wave pool. Its fun but very hard so its not really for young kids. There are plenty of lifeguards and they are pretty strict so it felt very safe. The pool opens at 9 or 10AM depending on the day and it fills up quickly so if you want to get seats for your bags, the earlier the better. Our kids loved the pool area and it was reasonably clean. Besides that, they have a decent arcade where you can win prizes and the kids enjoyed that.

They have something called Kids Klub. Its not a place to you go to. They publish a weekly schedule and they bring around crafts to a specific room in the hotel, usually the library. Its a few bucks per activity but it helps break up the day. We painted a bank and did some arts and crafts. You just need to show up for it. They have food based activities like making cookies or sundaes with a character. That you have to make a reservation for. We didn't do that. The characters are either made up characters (foxes, bears, moose) or Scooby Doo series.

If you need more things to do, in the area, there are mini-golf, go kart and an indoor playground/roller rink. We tried the roller rink (Fun Spot) and it was a lot of fun.

Amenities: The biggest negative was the room didn't have a safe! What hotel doesn't offer a safe in the room these days? They can store stuff in their back office but its not that accessible so its not something useful if you want to store and take out things multiple times a day like an iPad. We just stored in our car. Otherwise, it has all the usual including a refrigerator and microwave which is helpful when having young kids. We brought some food and that helped cut down on eating costs. (microwavable stuff like soups and mac n cheese). Otherwise, the rooms were comfortable. A bit on the older side but nothing to complain about.

Food: The restaurant in the resort is pretty small and the food is very average so we ate their only once. The waterpark has a food area with the usual park stuff (hot dogs, burgers, pizza, etc). There is a place to get coffee and breakfast foods but that closes later the in day so the biggest negative was no afternoon coffee. They have a Johnny Rockets which was fine for one night as a fun place to get burgers and shakes. Overall, the food situation is so-so but as I mentioned, its in the Lake George area so there are a bunch of restaurants you can go to, right outside the resort. Right outside the resort is an AWESOME place for soft serve ice-cream. Martha's Dandee Cream. Its a drive up and they have tons of interesting flavors.

Price: Its not cheap. If you factor in the price of the waterpark, its probably reasonable as we priced out the Holiday Inn + just waterpark tickets and from that perspective, its fair. The big question is just how much time you are using the water park. If you are spending a lot of time outside the resort, it may or may not be worth the price.

Bedbugs: We didn't find any. I read on the bed bug registry that there were reports last summer of bedbugs. I asked the check in guy and after some friendly chatting (it was 1AM), he said that there was definitely an outbreak last year. However, he said that they have bedbug sniffing dogs that come around every week and if found, they close down the room and both rooms to the side and fumigate. They seemed to know what to do but its something to check. Our room was clean.

Time of the year: We usually go to the area in the summer. We chanced it in April. Big mistake. Lake George is CLOSED! Most things don't open until late May including the amusement park. Luckily we had the waterpark, arcade and the Fun Spot but something too keep in mind. Overall, everyone had a great time but it definitely limited what we can do. If you are going just for a waterpark, consider a Great Wolf lodge if you are able.

Room Tip: If you want closer access to the main areas, the first 2 floors are easier to get to. Upper floors...
3  Thank gnasty71
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We have been to a number of these before- so I had expectations of what it would be. With the discounted rate over vacation, I can say it was definitely worth it- though the food is a bit high.
The staff is their greatest asset, as they were very courteous and helpful. The spa wasn't even open during the stated hours. I know the economy isn't great- but I hope to go back there on another special- because for $400- I'll go the HOTEL HERSHEY...

1  Thank SpaMaven
Also consider these accommodations in or near Queensbury
0.7 km away
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lake George (Queensbury)
7.1 km away
1.6 km away
Clarion Inn & Suites
Clarion Inn & Suites
#21 of 89 in Lake George

Been to Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!