“Adequate but quirky” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Purling B&B and Inns
Belleville, New Jersey
“Adequate but quirky”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

I've been learning over the years that I really prefer to stay at a standard hotel. This particular inn is in a scenic area and the house is nice but I did notice the TV and lamp stands in the room falling apart or just looking like they were tipping over. And as much as I understand that the inn is run by a family with other obligations, I think it's impersonal and annoying to have a bell at the front desk that you have to ring whenever you need attention with something or just need a suggestion for a tourist attraction or a restaurant. It made me feel like stranger instead of a guest. As far as the breakfast routine is concerned, there was nothing wrong with the food but I think the communication about the breakfast hours needs to be improved. I was told that breakfast was served between 8 and 10 only to find out that at 8 o'clock, the chef wasn't ready and that apparently, the 8 o'clock opening only applies to the weekends. It wasn't a big deal but I thought that was strange.

The German food at the restaurant is very good but the restaurant itself needs more lighting. The atmosphere is dark and gloomy.

I just don't exactly feel at home there. It's all right but definitely not great.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank 707roadtrip
Suzanne_O, Owner at Bavarian Manor Country Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, 4 November 2012
Yes, we are a bit quirky but we prefer to think of our inn as "independent" and not the same old same old. When you walk through our doors you will be treated as a special person and our efforts will be to making your stay with us as comfortable as possible.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

We try to get away to the Catskills every winter. Bavarian Manor is our favorite place to stay in the winter.

The entire staff are outstanding making you feel right at home with the best German food I have ever had, even better then when I was in Germany. The breakfasts are included and are great.

Suzanne and Stan are great hosts and innkeepers. We will always go back to Bavarian Manor every winter.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Gcloss
Summit, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

Such mixed feeling about the Bavarian. Room 37 on the 3rd floor had a queen spring bed with mattress only, no box spring, it was just too soft, no support. The room was very cool but the Inn supplied us with extra blankets; it was 3 to 7 degrees outside. Bathroom tub/shower with cadet toilet was dated but clean. The sink is in the room, nicely lighted and clean too.

The grounds of the Bavarian was needed more attention, the entry way was littered. There is just too much going on which makes one scratch their head "Why have they not put their lawn furniture away? Why are there black trash bags, presumably filled with patio cushions, stored outside on the patio? Why were the Christmas decoration still up on January 16th?

Breakfast was included with the price of the room. The breakfast starts at 8am (which is late if you ski) but it's excellent. Piece of fruit and cake, choice of omelet(s), french toast, pancakes, cereals. Small juice and endless coffee or tea. Very good service. The restaurant is huge taking up 2/3rds of the first floor with the bar and foyer taking up the other 1/3rd. The Inn waxes nostalgic with German (ahhem) "Bavarian" appointments. The waitresses serving dinner wear Bavarian style clothing; nice touch really.

Here is the twist; The Bavarian Manor Country Inn & Restaurant is HOME to many. Which is to say that the local residents frequent the Inn's restaurant and everyone knows everyone. They are a very friendly folk. This reviewer found it to be charming to see this down-home feel at the Bavarian. With everyone in such a rush in the holidays gone by it was a pleasure to switch gears, lay back and enjoy the Inn for what it is. If it were not for this bonding fabric which glues this Inn together, I would have given it 3 green circles but one has to look past the clutter to see what's important.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a real box-spring.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank shexbends
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

I always feel like I am in a 1940s movie when I step into the lobby. My family has been coming here for years. We have never stayed over---we just go for the food and the atmosphere. (The food is great...German American Cuisine aka comfort food. And a to-die-for "choose your own desert" table on holidays that you can go back to as many times as you want. Check all attitude at the door and expect to be enchanted. If you have any elderly relatives or small children, they will be treated with repect and kindness by the warm staff.

So take a trip to Hansel and Gretel land. You will leave with a full stomach and a big smile.!

I would love to spend a weekend here but a few hours is like a mini vacation in itself.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank epicNewYork
SuzanneNancy, Owner at Bavarian Manor Country Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
We thank you so very much for your lovely review. I read it to our staff and want them to know how everyone's efforts are appreciated. One comment you made that hit home was about how coming here feels like the 1940's. My family has been here since the 1930's and I grew up in this hotel. My training has been in the old-fashioned friendly family style. It is the way it should be. My husband, Stan, and I don't feel comfortable with the hoity-toity and relish our sincere simple style. We are so glad folks like you like it also.
pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

i have been to the manor quite a few times and love it each time i go. my husband and i go at least once a year, we try for twice but time doesnt always allow. we have had some of our most memorable moment there. we have gone at all different times of the year and have never been at a loss for things to do or to do nothing at all. the hosts and the staff are very kind and accommodation people. they always have a smile, even at the end of the day. cant wait to find the time to go back!!!

Room Tip: rooms on one side of the building are very sunny and so are the corner units.
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mednie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Purling
13.6 km away
7.1 km away
B&B Lounge of Catskill
B&B Lounge of Catskill
#3 of 9 in Catskill

Been to Bavarian Manor Country Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!