“More like Barton Lines”
Review of Barton Orchards

Barton Orchards
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Poughquag
Reviewed 19 October 2016

We went two years ago, later in the season. If we had the same experience we had the first time that we had last weekend, we would not have come back.

I have never in my life seen lines like I did at Barton Orchards this past weekend. Even the worst at Disneyland does not come close. A lady inside complained that it took her 2 hours to get from the parkway to the entrance. Thankfully we did not have that experience with the traffic, but the lines inside were horrendous. And leaving, we were driving 40 mph and I clocked 2 and a half minutes of bumper to bumper traffic in the other direction for people waiting to get in. Not worth it.

Inside, more lines await! 45 minutes to get cold fries. An hour for pizza. 45 minutes for Apple Cider donuts, which were pretty much the only good thing there. 30 minutes to get a bag to pick apples (and by "pick" I mean take out of giant boxes they have since none of the trees had apples on them anymore). They had a lot of pumpkins, so there was that at least.

Honestly, do not waste your time. If you're driving from Long Island, go out East somewhere. If you're going from North of NYC, go to one of the many apple farms out there. You'll spend all day waiting on lines here.

2  Thank RedCharger99
in 2 reviews
"wagon"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 18 October 2016 via mobile

My family and I went apple picking I will never wait until October again the trees were bare my sister took her grandson for the first time he was so excited and the apples were almost gone I waited so long so I can get the Granny Smiths next time I will check the reviews before I go

2  Thank Trischa468
Reviewed 18 October 2016

We visited Barton's on Columbus Day, granted. The weather was top notch.
But the lines for everything from entering the farm (a $5 fee) to donuts to hot cider to rest rooms to paying for a bag to pick apples (they start at $16!) were daunting.
We picked apples and some overripe vegetables and then left.
We went to another farm to buy donuts, cider and to have something to eat. It was much more pleasant down the road.
Bravo to Barton's for having the parking for literally hundreds of cars and accommodating the onslaught of people wanting to pick apples on Columbus day.
We'll re-think our venture there next year, though.

3  Thank DianeFT
Reviewed 18 October 2016

We didn't even get to the gate - so perhaps behind all the fencing, the experience is entirely different - I doubt it. Met a lady with her wagon with apples and pumpkin in the parking lot - asked her what she thought and she said the trees were bare and people were "picking" apples out of a big crate. From the dust filled, crammed, parking lot, to 20 minute line to "enter the orchard" - - it was more like Coney Island experience than a nice outdoor, fall experience with the family. Similar to "Outhouse" orchard off of 684. Do not recommend either. We diverted to Fishkill Orchard - which has a farm store with doughnuts and cider - 10 min vs 40 min lines. Similar 5 dollar per person orchard charge - but there were actually apples on the trees - and then 9; 20; or $30 dollar bag fee - still expensive - but seems more like autumn experience vs circus. See review on Fishkill Farm.

2  Thank CathyScarsdaleNY
See more reviews
Reviewed 17 October 2016

Do not have a birthday party there! No direction when we arrived there as to where to go for the party. Had to ask a food vendor to direct me. My attendant was not very interested in being a party host. I spent half the time looking for her. Pizza came but kids were done before they even got the drinks and I had to ask another hostess if she knew where mine was. Cake time came and we had to cut with a paper plate since once again I could not find my hostess or any utensils. We did 2 activities and then we were done. I asked if they do the hayrides and the hostess instructed me to do it on our "free time" she did not bring the kids to it. I was serving pizza, pouring drinks and cutting cake ... I did more work than you have to do at a chuck e cheese or bowling party! Our party with the space we rented ($100 extra) ended 1/2 hour early as the hostess said that's all. Then the adults brought the kids to the fun zone and when we were inside with them and after 15 minutes we were hassled by the staff that we could not be in there with the children without bands...I said it is a birthday party I was sure we did not need to buy extra bands. So after searching for my hostess for half the party (that was cut short) then having a lengthy discussion with the staff in the fun zone I ended up spending most of my daughters party time searching for hostess or dealing with issues rather than enjoying her day. Turns out I was supposed to get 8 adult armbands with my party so it should have been a non issue being in the funzone but our hostess never gave them to us! I then left a voicemail and email and still have not heard back from any staff. For $40 a child I would expect a better experience!!!! Do yourself a favor and enjoy your childs birthday and book somewhere else!!!

2  Thank chrissykevin