“Great Seafood, great establishment ”

Saltaire Oyster Bar and Fish House
Ranked #7 of 128 Restaurants in Port Chester
Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

Fresh and delicious seafood. Limited but bar. First rate service. Beautiful establishment.

A bit pricey, but worth it.

Reviewed 27 December 2017

When this restaurant first opened, it had its share of growing pains, but the food was never the problem. Well, the staff and management have learned from mistakes, and turned Saltaire into an excellent restaurant. Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed 10 November 2017

It is a pricey, but tasty restaurant. The meals are very good and very filling as well. The service is also very good.

Reviewed 3 November 2017

My youngest grandson’s Bar Mitzvah was on a Saturday in late October, 2017.
To find the best place for a luncheon party after the service we (our daughter, our two grandsons, my wife and I) visited – and ate lunch on different Saturdays – in restaurants which had been recommended to our daughter as possibilities. We were looking for good food and elegant service for a not-over-the-top event. The unanimous choice ended up being Saltaire. And it was a good choice!

We met with Barry Frommer, the General Manager, and worked out the details including the anticipated number of guests, how the tables would be set up, the menu, the wine, the service, and, of course, the cost. Barry really knows his stuff, and everything we were promised – whether in writing or not – was delivered 100%.

The first course was either Tomato Basil Soup or a salad called Arcadian Harvest Greens. I opted for the soup, and was surprised how intense a flavor it had. Delicious! I didn’t taste the salad, but it was nicely presented, and obviously enjoyed by those who chose it.

A lovely addition was Corn Bread, baked and served hot-from-the-oven in a small cast iron pan. Nice. And a surprise was that after our table finished the first one, a second one – totally unexpected – appeared, and was similarly enjoyed.

Entrees included a choice of Atlantic Salmon, Rigatoni Bolognese, French Breast of Chicken (roasted), or a Grilled 10oz. Hangar Steak. I opted for the Hangar Steak, asking that it be ‘mooing’ – very rare. And that’s exactly how I got it. Nice thick slices on a bed of mashed potatoes with an intensely flavorful red wine sauce. I don’t normally eat or want any sauce with my steak, but this sauce I ate and enjoyed. And surprisingly, I didn’t need to add any pepper – which I normally ad to almost everything.

I tasted the Rigatoni – filching a bite from my cousin who sat next to me, and it too was a winner. The Bolognese sauce was unlike what is usually served elsewhere, and was enjoyed by those who chose it. My wife had the Salmon and said it was excellent. No one at our table had the Chicken, but its presentation was lovely, and I watched a guest at an adjacent table who had ordered it and it was clear he enjoyed it as well.

Dessert was a Sweet Assortment – tasting portions of four desserts: Chocolate Cremeux, Ice Cream, Cheesecake, and Carrot Cake. The individual portions were not overly generous, but all were delicious.

House wines: red and white (we tasted and chose the ones we wanted earlier) were served from carafes, not bottles. Wine was an extra, and priced on the quantity of bottles/carafes used. The wait staff made wine readily available, but there was no ‘pushing’ it to increase the number of bottles/carafes consumed and the cost. The count of bottles/carafes seemed legitimate – unlike at the party for my older grandson’s Bar Mitzvah a few years ago in a different restaurant; there we were surely overcharged for wine consumption.

Barry promised that there would be sufficient serving staff, and frankly I was surprised at how many wait staff there were. All seemed to be well trained, to know what they were about and worked as a team. Service was excellent.

By nature and by training I focus on understanding how things work and in particular, what’s wrong. Mistakes and shortcomings jump out at me without me having to look for them. At Saltaire I looked, but I didn’t find anything worth complaining about. It’s not something that most people would even notice, but I was impressed with the form that was used to take guests’ orders. It wasn’t just a pad of paper, it was a real ‘form’ so that each guest’s order was easily understood and prepared to his/her liking by the kitchen staff.

Barry was a constant presence throughout the event. He made sure that everything went according to plan and verified that guests were happy.

There was adequate parking for our guests in the adjacent municipal parking lot.

We’ll be back.

Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

We were excited to share a birthday dinner and thought the menu looked great. The food was generally poor. The cornbread was good and the meal started off well. The crab cake was all crab but poorly seasoned, the steamers were only partially opened. I called over the waiter and all he said was thanks for telling me...no offer to redo nor an offer of another appetizer. No, it was not comped. This is a real issue with service as well as food. The special bouillabaisse was good but the lobster roll was dry and mealy. We will not return. I was flabbergasted by the service and food levels.

1  Thank berniss