“A trip to Paris without the miles”
Review of Brasserie Cassis

Brasserie Cassis
Reserve with OpenTable
Brasserie Cassis is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 88 Restaurants in Plainview
Price range: USD 31 - USD 50
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Woodbury Rd
Transit: 2 mile drive from the Hicksville LIRR Train Station and 3 miles from the Syosset LIRR Train Station
Reviewed 8 April 2016

Brasserie Cassis is a magnificent bistro located in Plainview NewYork. Cassis offers a marvelous menu of French food. From classic hors d'oeuvres and entrees to their spectacular desserts, this has become one of my favorite local restaurants to dine. The ambiance takes you to France and you are swept away to a beautiful bistro only a few minutes from home. From the moment you walk in the door, the service is impeccable. Every customer is treated as family. The waitstaff is there for you from the second you are seated. From the detail work on the ceiling to the beautiful paintings on the wall, it is quite the bistro.

The food offerings are fantastic. I have had the pleasure of dining at Cassis and every dish has been exquisite. The La Soupe A Loignon was magnificent. It was cheesy and the broth was just intoxicating.The Escargot Persille was divine. I could not stop soaking up the sauce with their wonderful baguette. The Salade Cassis of mixed greens had a refreshing vinaigrette. The P.E.I. Mussels Mariniere were heavenly. The mussels were plump and juicy and the sauce was to good to be true. To finish off my dinner I had their incredible profiteroles for dessert. Decadent is the only word I can use to describe them.

A trip to Cassis is like a trip to Paris without the miles of travel. It is a wonderful experience of going to a superp bistro and then a traveling a short distance home. It is a wonderful neighborhood restaurant that I plan to visit again and again.

1  Thank Bonappetitmom
There are newer reviews for Brasserie Cassis

Reviewed 25 March 2016

This is probably what it would be. The restaurant decor is a stylized rendering of a Belle Epoque French restaurant. As the setting for a movie, nicely done. As a restaurant, could be better. With some good crunchy chunks of bread, you have a choice of a pate or butter. The pate is ok, not memorable - basically a mousse of some type of liver. A nice little jar of mustard accompanies this. When I asked the waiter if they had cornichons, there was a huddle among the waiters who, when they figured out I was not asking about Cornish hens, replied, sadly, that they do not. Hardly a reason to forego dining here, but an easy authenticating touch for the franchise.

I ordered sole meuniere. The sauce and the accompanying vegetables were delicious - the fish was overcooked, but still a tasty combination. Steaks and pommes frites others ordered looked good. A shared dessert of profiteroles was delicious, and the presentation of a post-prandial glass of Absinthe (four varieties) was nicely done with a flaming sugar cube resting on an absinthe spoon over the glass, slowly dissolved with iced water drops from an absinthe fountain.

Aside from the absinthe presentation, however, the service was amateurish. While standing at the bar having a cocktail with friends before we sat down to a table, some of the waiters elbowed their way through us to get to tables by the window instead of taking the ever so slightly longer but open route through the tables on the other side of the bar area. Sometimes we got a polite excuse me, but sometimes, not so polite. We had ordered cocktails and were not simply taking up space at the bar.

The waiters did not speak English very well, (and I speak some French, they were not French) and had minimal contact with us. Order taken, food brought, dessert menus handed out. Like fast food goes Francais. There were papers on the floor next to our table from the butter and pate dishes (not from our table) that were never picked up - white paper on a dark floor? The empty butter and pate ramekins sat their until we asked the waiter to remove them from the table.

So overall, the decor is fun, the food was ok to good, but service was poor.

Reviewed 8 March 2016

Though located in a busy and popular shopping center once you enter the restaurant it is very welcoming and attractive. We felt however that the quality of the meal had slipped
They have changed their menu somewhat and the very popular Chicken for two has been buried in the regular menu. It is now offered as a single dish with two price points
It was good but not great as it was before. ( too heavily seasoned)
Hamburgers were juicy but not cooked as requested, and redone
Would give it another chance as perhaps this was an off night

Reviewed 7 March 2016 via mobile

A Beautiful little French Restaurant located in the midst of a large strip mall shopping center.
I had a German Beer, which I had never heard of, (recommended by the server), it had an outstanding taste. He was very knowledgable about the beer selections.
My wife & I each started w/Butternut Squash soup. Very nice and creamy. It had a superb taste. I also had an appetizer of Thon (Tuna) Tartare, it was prepared w/ Tomatoes, English Cucumbers, Ginger & Sesame Oil. Outstanding, absolutely one of the best Tartares I have ever had.
For my entree, I had the "Cotes De Porc Au Vin de Sherry" (Pork Chops/ $28.00). I had requested them to be cooked very moist and not even to the medium level and to my joy, they were exactly that. The dish came w/ toasted Almonds, Fingerling Potatoes, Shredded Kale, Smoked Bacon in a Sherry Wine Sauce. I would give it 10 stars if possible. Overcooking pork is a myth that was debunked many years ago!!
My friend, who did not specify, said toward the end his got a little dry, but mine where perfect.

My wife & her friend both had the Seaford Special, consisting of a split Lobster Tail w/ Shrimp, Clams& Mussels in a very nice light sauce, served on a bed of rice. The Lobster Tail was a little tough, tasty, but not worth the $38.00 price. (Not exactly a special)??
Another couple had the "Saumon Moutarde" and "Ravioli de Jour" & each said they enjoyed their meals.
For desert, I had Creme Brûlée & Cafe au Lait (reminiscent of my years spent in New Orleans). Other deserts around the table included Profiteroles Glacees Chocolate, Cobbler aux Baies, & Mousse au Chocolate. All were very good.
The service was excellent and although the restaurant is very pricy, it is worth going to on an occasional basis.

Reviewed 7 March 2016 via mobile

Have been here before. This time the experience was not good. After our appetizer we waited 40 minutes for our dinners. They served three of us and we had to wait a while for the other three entrees. My duck was very over cooked and dry. The two fish dinners were dry and flavorless and none of the food was worth the wait. Will not be going back