All reviews wonderful hosts other guests walnut grove perigord noir beautiful place comfortable bed places to visit old house the location is perfect bread gorgeous views say goodbye kind hosts lovely experience labor of love delicious home baked century manor
Reviewed 1 June 2017

The house is STUNNING. Beautiful garden and lovingly renovated old buildings. Extremely comfortable and spacious rooms. Be prepared to climb stairs. Andre and barbara are gorgeous hosts - follow all their advice and you will have the most incredible dordogne experience.

Room Tip: Top floor was very comfortable, spacious with beautiful views
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank adelstoc
Reviewed 27 April 2017

We stayed at L'Ombriere‬ between the 14th and 20th of April 2017, it was lovely experience.
Barbara and Andrea in their noble and modest way did what ever possible to make our stay comfortable. They were always available to answer our questions and give advise that always happened to be the right thing to do.
We wish we could stay more, yet we probably come again.
Iris & Arik
Timrat, Israel

Stayed: April 2017
Reviewed 22 April 2017

This is a perfect place in a superb location. This beautifully restored home is spotlessy clean with nice sized rooms, comfortable beds, lovely bedding, modern bathrooms, and great hot showers. Barbara and Andrea are beyond lovely and helpful. The home is perfectly situationed to explore the Dordogne. Andrew and Barbara provided great travel and superb restaurant tips. The home is on lovely property with gorgeous views. Tea and Barbara's delicious cookies were served upon arrival in the garden. Barbara os am excelelnt baker and serves lovely treats at breakfast. They do have a beautiful cat so be aware in case of allergies. One reviewer mentioned road noise as a concern. There is zero road noise. We loved this bed and breakfast and would come again!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2017 via mobile

Words cannot begin to describe how absolutely wonderful our visit to L'Ombriere was. Barbara and Andrea are two of the nicest people we have ever met - in any country! Their beautiful home and property is clearly a labor of love.....their constant hard work to make everything perfect is obvious at every turn. Upon our arrival....a little lost, typical for us.....Andrea flagged us down and helped us get our embarrassingly abundant luggage into the house and then invited us to join them for coffee/tea in the garden to chat, give us maps, ideas for places to visit, etc. They were very patient with our painful lack of French language skills - I was embarrassed that I didn't prepare better before our trip - and that's where our French lessons began. Andrea was constantly trying to help us, gently and patiently teaching us (and making jokes in his quiet and reserved way) all of which really did help us present ourselves in a much more respectable manner as we continued our travels for the rest of our trip. We promised Barbara and Andrea that the next time they saw us - and they definitely will - that we will speak much better French, out of respect for this beautiful country! In fact, when I asked my husband what his favorite part of our whole trip (and we travelled quite a bit through France), my husband said it was when he asked for the bill - in French - Andrea told him that his accent was very good even though he didn't know many words! We had a great laugh about that!

So, in this very long review, of course I have to agree with all of the other excellent reviews, that the home was beautiful, absolutely spotless with so much attention to all the details that made this truly a home for all who visit. Our 3rd floor room was spacious, with amazing views of the surrounding landscape. The breakfast was excellent with Barbara's delicious home baked breads, pastries, etc. The yogurt from a nearby farm was the best I've ever tasted and the butter, jams, walnuts - everything local and presented so beautifully, with obvious pride from this magical region. We had the pleasure of meeting very interesting people around the breakfast table, with Barbara and Andrea translating several languages so we all could enjoy everyone's company.

And finally, we were there to celebrate our 25th anniversary. On the morning of our anniversary, Barbara presented us with the most beautiful bouquet of flowers from her garden....including irises which she knew were a favorite of my husband's. I was so touched by this. Then, they made a reservation for us at one of their favorite restaurants and requested a table by the window to enjoy the river view....so romantic, which made our anniversary unforgettable. Honestly, I was practically in tears all day....just overwhelmed by the kindness of our hosts and the sheer beauty of the area.

What else? So many things....the hamlet of Montfort itself was breathtaking, tiny and sweet with a great restaurant (Angelus) run by another amazing couple, the location - perfect for exploring the Dordogne river valley, Romeo - the resident cat! I loved that guy - he would greet us whenever we returned and posed for a lot of photos!

I knew visiting Dordogne was going to be a highlight of our trip, but this visit far, far exceeded anything I could have imagined. I actually cried when we left....much to my extreme embarrassment and I'm sure I really freaked out our hosts! This was a magical time for us...and we credit much of that to Barbara and Andrea (and Romeo) at L'Ombriere.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2017 via mobile

Staying at L'Ombriere was without doubt one of the best travel experiences I've ever had. Andrea and Barbara are such warm, gracious, kind hosts, and we treasured every moment we had to chat with them. The B&B has been lovingly and gorgeously restored. The rooms are large, lovely, and very comfortable. The location is perfect--easy access to the best villages of the Dordogne, but out of the way enough to be peaceful and relaxing. I cannot recommend it highly enough!!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple