1,318 results
All reviews pool area espargos restaurant main restaurant asian restaurant plenty of sunbeds cape verde great holiday beach bar palace guests barracuda bar animation team ceiling fan main stage buffet style beer and soft drinks sister hotel island tour
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

After visiting in Aug 2014 And a fantastic holiday that was This time I felt disappointed in the restaurant. The staff are all amazing so no problem there and the hotel and rooms are spotless. However I have been to Riu hotels in turkey and there is no comparison, they r definatley a 5 star, I’d class the funnana more a 3/4 star. The food was ok but found there was a lot less and at times some dishes ran out and u had to wait. Plus it was cold by the time u sat down.
I think if I came to Santa Maria again I’d stay in the town and do self catering. There are alot more places now and very authentic.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sallyneil
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Management at Hotel Riu Funana, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear sallyneil,

Thank you for your loyalty and your candid feedback.

Although we are glad to know that our staff were attentive and you felt comfortable in your room, we regret to learn that or gastronomic offer did not met your personal tastes this time. Our chefs are constantly thinking in new dishes and your feedback will be very helpful for all of them.

It is always a pleasure to host you and we will be delighted to do it again in a near future.

With our best wishes we remain,

Hotel Riu Funana
Online Reputation Management

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Lovely hotel. Very clean. Sheets and towels changed daily. Fantastic variety of food at all meals and several restaurants catering for all nationalities. Lovely pools with plenty of sunbed. Live entertainment nightly. Staff very friendly and helpful. Ideal place to stay if you're looking for a lazy relaxing holiday

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Joan R
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Just returned from 2 weeks at the RIU Funana, and what a mix of reviews I had in my mind.

Firstly the staff in general were friendly and helpful and I found the food in the main restaurant to be varied, and catered for all tastes.
The rooms were cleaned daily to a good standard, except that on a couple of occasions no towels were left in the rooms, and water bottles not topped up in the fridge, both eventually sorted by contacting main reception desk. The room safe twice locked closed and I had to wait for the duty manager to come and open it as only they know the procedure for unlocking it, once ruining a meal because I had to rush eating it to get back to my room before the manager went off duty.
Also watch out for the very slippery floor in the shower in the rooms. I nearly went flying on a couple of occasions, which is why I believe grab handles have been fitted in the showers.
I feel the hotel is too big as mealtimes in the main restaurant we're very chaotic, with people rushing about and not looking where they were going and nearly causing accidents. It was like living in a sped up rush hour scene. The cocktails were of the ready made style, with added alcohol. For the most part all the staff were hard working, and the entertainment team worked tirelessly throughout the day and in the evening dance shows, although I thought they needed to work on the substance and choreography of the dance numbers, as most dances on each night were very similar.
Now to a problem that is nothing to do with the hotel and apart from spraying the foliage. The flies, lots of them, making the poolside relaxation almost impossible, because of constantly swotting them away, a real nuisance.
To close, I believe for me to rate this hotel higher it would have to have been smaller, for the more personal feeling, and maybe a lot of the small niggles need to be ironed out. A nice hotel but not up to RIU high standards for me, but lots of people will enjoy their stay and revisit, but unfortunately I would not return to this particular hotel, as it doesn't quite tick all the boxes, but that is only my opinion, as I rated the RIU Reggae in Jamaica a much better all round hotel, but only because it suited me and delivered all that I required in a holiday.
An OK hotel but needs improvement in it's holiday experience for me.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank daibachLoughor
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Funana, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear daibachLoughor,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us through Trip Advisor!

We are glad to acknowledge that you had a nice overall experience with us at our Hotel Riu Funana and appreciate all the positive feedback that you provided us in your post, such as our friendly and helpful staff members, our good and varied gastronomic offer, our well cleaned rooms and the hard work of our entertainment team. We are thrilled that you were satisfied in these aspects! Also, thank you for the good rating of our Hotel Riu Reggae, its awesome news!

Nevertheless, we regret that you had to interrupt one of your meals due to a problem with your safe in your room and apologize for this inconvenience. We hope that once our manager solved your problem you could of have a much more pleasant stay.

In addition, about your other concern regarding the flies, we would like to inform you that at certain times of the year, depending on the weather, and due to the location of our hotel, which is surrounded by vegetation, the presence of insects is unfortunately inevitable. Allow us to inform you that we work hard to keep them under control, since our grounds have extensive garden areas. We fumigate continuously all areas to keep insects away from our grounds. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

We hope to host you again in the near future in one of our worldwide hotels!

With the best hopes we remain,

Hotel Riu Funana
Online Reputation Manager

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

This was our first experience of staying at an all inclusive resort. Good points: Room pretty comfortable and clean and cleaned well everyday, spacious bathroom, beach an easy walk from the hotel and when there some nice waves and good swimming, beach bar handy for a beer, pool not too busy and pool bar very tempting, food at 2 speciality restaurants in hotel quite good (but not top notch), breakfasts (plenty of bacon and different egg options), island tour and visit to Brazilian bar in Santa Maria (excellent Caipirinhas) courtesy of the brilliant local tour guide Caramau.
Not so good points: Evening entertainment a bit ordinary (like an exotic Butlins), drinks decidedly average - white/red/rose wine didn't taste as if grapes had been used in its production, sparkling wine in restaurants (they called it champagne but it was really cheapo stuff from a Spanish bubbly lake), cocktails - not very appealing (or alcoholic) except after a few had been supped (see above if you want an excellent and authentic Caipirinha), food - just OK but gets a bit monotonous after a few days (even if eating in the speciality restaurants as often as possible, as we did).
Overall, we found this hotel a pretty good place to relax and do as little as possible. A few things not to our taste but most of the other guests we met seemed happy with the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Tim W
Reviewed 16 October 2018 via mobile

We went here as a treat to ourselves a bit of luxury.It was advertised as a five-star star Platinum hotel.The hotel was very good,but not as advertised, it lacked the extra you would expect from 5* platinum.The rooms were nice and the bed was a super King, but the rooms were in need of an update. The Pool area was good apart from the sunbeds, which I feel should have been padded.I couldn't find any fault with the rest of the hotel, but still feel it was over sold and i was a little disappointed.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple