“The Perfect Getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Montour Falls
Kingston, New York
“The Perfect Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2010

It was our first trip to the Finger Lakes region, and everything was perfect - the house, our host, John, our fabulous breakfasts, and even the weather was perfect the entire weekend. John helped us plan our excursions by giving us directions and maps, recommending the best wineries to vist (must sees), places to eat, and giving us some local history of the area. All were so helpful for first time visitors.
Our stay at the house was like staying with relatives or friends. It was a home, and not like a rental. Personal photos, books and magazine collections, big, cozy chairs all lended their charm, and made our stay very comfortable. My husband, who has a hard time sleeping in stange beds, slept like a baby, so it had to be comfortable. We were past the swimming season and the pool was closed, but we did enjoy the gardens and garden room where we had our wine we purchased from the wineries.
All in all, it was a delightful weekend, and when we come back, it will be like visiting an old friend.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Lake Ariel, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2010

This was our 2nd time at Rosemary's Legacy and we can't wait for our 3rd trip! It is a charming house. The hospitality there is extraordinary. We were greeted with wine and cheese. What more could one ask for after a long drive? The rooms are very comfortable. The water pressure is fantastic! My only regret is that we never come early enough in the season to use the pool. Maybe next time! : )

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank iam4psu
nyack, ny
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2010

Stayed here with the hubby over Labor Day weekend. He said bringing my dog was ok, but when we arrived he seemed overly wary of the dog, even though he's gentle and calm. Anyway, the house itself has a very strange layout. It doesn't "flow," it's not easy getting from room to room. Also, there is not one comfortable piece of furniture in the entire house. The master bed is like sleeping on a pool table.
The biggest problem was our lack of privacy. The owner kept coming into the yard (and house) unannounced. He lives next door, and would just walk into the back yard to clean the pool and lawn without telling us. Once he came in and I was on the balcony off the bedroom in my skimpy PJs. Not cool! SO not cool. And when we went into town for a bite, we came back and all the furniture was rearranged in the bedroom. It made us feel scrutinized and very unwelcome.
The place was just... creepy. There was 100's of framed photos of the entire family, even in the bedroom, and on a table FACING THE BED. Who wants to look at pictures of some random grandparents while snuggling in bed with your partner? It made it feel like you were just an awkward guest rather than a paying customer. He made it feel like you were a bother to him, and it was VERY hard to relax as a result.
Also, the 2 other bedrooms were locked during our trip. Why? It just seemed very unfriendly, and like we were being nickel and dimed. It's too bad, because the town is great and the location decent- I was scouting out a rental house to become our permanent annual vacation spot in upstate NY. Rather, we couldn't wait to get out of there.
It wouldn't have hurt if he put some basic condiments and stuff in the fridge for folks at a $10 investment (ketchup, mustard, hot sauce, oil and vinegar, soy sauce, etc.), and went a bit easy on the rules (i.e. No burning of any candles- and there were about 1000 candles on display). The owner would really benefit from taking some hospitality courses at the nearby Cornell school of Hotel Management. ASAP!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jobrief
jpatchefs, Owner at Rosemary's Legacy, responded to this review, 16 September 2010
I feel compelled to answer this review. We opened our doors in the summer of 2008. We do live next door to my parent’s former home. We rent it as a B&B, as a House Rental, and as a motel/hotel. Our literature clearly states that we do not allow animals. This guest first contacted me via the internet after seeing our extensive pictures of the house – stating, “your house if beautiful.” Our former guests have all stated that the house is more beautiful in person, than in the pictures. I told this guest that the carpets, bedspreads, and much of the furniture is white and their dog should not be allowed on the furniture. She agreed. The dog was larger than I had anticipated and I DID reiterate that they needed to watch the dog. As far as the “flow” of the house, the comfort level and the master bed room – all one has to do is read any of our other reviews from not only Tripadvisor but from other sites noted on our homepage.
She states that her biggest problem was “lack of privacy.” I told the reviewer and her husband, during the tour of the house, that I WOULD BE over each morning between 10 and 11 to clean the pool and perhaps water the gardens. After their first night, I walked over to clean the pool at 10:30 in the morning. They were sitting on the deck, off the master bedroom, having coffee. (You can see the deck if you review the pictures of the home on our website.) They had carried up some lawn furniture and cushions from outside to put on the deck. They both spoke, both said good morning and the reviewer made NO attempt to go inside and hide her “skimpy PJ’s.” I honestly did not notice any skimpy PJ’s and thought she was covered with a small blanket. I cleaned the pool – as I said I would, and left. The reviewer stated that I rearranged the furniture in the bedroom. I sold the weekend – the entire house which included a pool – to this couple for $375. I did not sell it as house rental for the two days, and thus DID NOT charge them the normal $150 cleaning fee (which is noted on the web site). I went into the house – as I always do when people leave for the day to make the beds, and freshen the bathroom. I do believe that all B&B’s and motel/hotel’s do the same thing.
What this reviewer did not tell you, was that she took a glass top, hand painted end table (valued at more than $500) from the bedroom and placed it on the outside deck to have their coffee. There was a stiff wind and I brought the table back inside to where it belonged. I touched nothing else. I brought up an outside table to replace the one that they had put on the deck. The room was a mess – clothes all over the place, and what the reviewer failed to tell you was that she took the extra (white) blanked from the closet, and put it on the floor of the bedroom for the dog to sleep on. When they left, they folded it and put the blanket back in the closet. (I had it dry cleaned for the next guests.) I found, in the kitchen, two bowls that are normally used by our guests for cereal or fruit or soup, on the floor for the dog to eat his food and water. I decided to leave the house as it was, and did not enter again until they left.
The house is named, Rosemary’s Legacy, after my mother. All of our advertising explains that the house was left as it was. Yes, there are many family pictures in the house. I have been to many B&B’s that do the same thing. No one has ever stated that they have been offended by them.
This couple rented one bedroom. I always close the doors to the other bedrooms when only one is being used. There was ketchup, mustard, hot sauce, oil, and soy available in the lazy susan turntable in the kitchen. The reviewer’s husband signed the house agreement that clearly states that the display and decorative candles in the house are not for burning, but that guest may burn candles in glass containers.
Finally, the reviewer states that I made them feel “like an awkward guest and unwelcome.” She failed to tell you that I sent her (I have copies) e-mails about the area and attractions, and when I checked with them before arrival, she told me that she had hurt her ankle and I found other places for her to visit – she wanted a possible water fall and swimming hole. She also forgot to tell you that I sat with them after the house tour telling them about the area and the good places to eat. Her husband had me, upon leaving; once again tell him where that swimming hole and water falls were. I, once again, told him. There was no mention of having any problems. She also forgot to write that they left a collection of Simpson TV show discs in the house. I called them and told them that they had forgotten them and they came to pick them up.
As far as the hospitality course go, I once again ask you to read all of our other reviews. My family and I owned and operated the most popular restaurant in the area for over a half a century. I am currently the Chairman of the Watkins Glen Chamber of Commerce’s Tourism Committee and was chosen by our county legislature to represent our county on the Finger Lakes Tourism Alliances’ Board – the oldest, single running tourism based organization in the country. My wife and I always go the “extra mile” to make all of our guests feel comfortable. I am very sorry that this reviewer did not have a great time in the Finger Lakes.
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

This was our second year at Rosemary's Legacy for our "Ladies Weekend" (Grandmother/Mother, Daughter, Daughter-in-law and two teenage granddaughters.)
Satisfying everyone of assorted ages is accomplished at Rosemary's and our every wish is fulfilled.
Breakfast, ah breakfast. The aroma of the coffee brewing, fantastic cooked to order french toast or omelet or whatever John has planned for us for breakfast -- delightful.
When John and I were discussing our special dinner he remembered one granddaughter is a vegetarian and that was a year ago when he first met her -- host with the most. Dinner was four star and more.
Our weekend planned by John -- we couldn't ask for anything more - the sailboat excursion, the limousine over to Lake Cayuga and visiting MacKenzie-Childs - perfect.
John and Mary Alice, your host and hostess are there for you and your comfort is most important to them. Thank you John and Mary Alice.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2010

We just returned from several (although not enough!) days in Montour Falls, NY, at Rosemary's Legacy. The other reviews are spot on. We felt as though John and Mary Alice were friends via email and telephone even before we arrived. The house, in John's family for 60+ years, is lovely. Many loved family mementos, collectibles, and antiques are part of the decor. The home's gentle color scheme adds to the peace and restfulness you find in the area. The porch off the master bedroom, the first floor porch, and especially the Garden Room all give opportunity for reading, snacking, or other wise relaxing and enjoying the breezes if you don't wish to go outdoors. Outdoors are the gardens and the pool. John served the most delicious dinner poolside for us one night. He takes special care to determine food likes, dislikes, and allergies and will offer sample menus. We asked him to select the menu and he did so with a gourmet chef's flair. He is most happy to share his ingredient list with you if you are interested. My husband and I have very high expectations for our meals and John surpassed them all. The warmth and graciousness of John and his wife, Mary Alice, are unmatched. Again, it is as if we were conversing and laughing with old friends. As hosts, they are not at all intrusive, but if you need help or advice, they are right there with answers. John grew up in the area and it seems that not only is he a true font of information on all the good things to see and do, but also anyone in the area that we spoke with knew and had high praise for John and Mary Alice as their Montour Falls neighbor.

The house has a full, big kitchen and even a complete laundry area available for guests. There is cable-vision, but we spent so much time reading the wonderful books there that we forgot to watch TV! All rooms are very generously sized. This stay certainly turned out to be so much more delightful than I had anticipated (at my husband's engineering conference) that we are planning to/can't wait to return this Fall and in the future. P.S. We had left a guide book for t he area at the house; John did not simply mail the book to us - knowing that we were planning to stop at the Watkins Glen library, he tracked us down and returned the book personally. That is the sort of kindness, caring, and devotion to his guests you can expect at Rosemary's Legacy.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
9.0 km away
Chieftain Motel
Chieftain Motel
#5 of 9 in Watkins Glen

Been to Rosemary's Legacy? Share your experiences!