“The place to stay in montauk”

Sunrise Guest House
Ranked #1 of 3 Montauk B&B and Inns
Yorktown Heights, New York, United States
“The place to stay in montauk”
Reviewed 1 September 2012

My first Time at the sunrise guest house was fantastic and now we are going to come back every year!!!! When you arrive there u feel like you are in your own home. The owners are some of the nicest people u will ever meet!!! The rooms are great and very clean! The view of the ocean from the porch is beatuiful! I loved waking up in the morning and looking out to the water. I have such an amazing time and I know that if u go there u will feel the same way!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Karen P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
New York
Reviewed 29 August 2012

This place is overall ok but nothing special, and actually maybe below average. It's redeeming quality is that it is very close to the beach, which may be all that matters. It is not an easy walk to town, though. You would want to bike or drive.

Our main issue was that the owners/staff were absent and relatively unfriendly the entire time. We showed up early evening on Friday and no one was there to greet us. No big deal and they told us that could happen. But when we didn't really meet anyone in charge the next morning, afternoon or night, we began to get a bit put off. Half of the B&B experience is a warm and inviting atmosphere, and unfortunately the vibe of the place is one of borderline neglect/you should be lucky to fine a place to stay in Montauk. Also not meeting anyone means we weren't told certain things, like you have to tell them before 10am if you want your room cleaned that day. The only time they were present was when my wife was checking out on Monday so that they could collect the balance of our payment.

The rooms themselves are average but not great. Spacious but old and cheap. It's Montauk, so unless you want to pay $$, I guess this is what is available. My wife was disappointed by there being no hair dryer, conditioner or body lotion. I reached out to the host about this but by the time I was actually able to get in touch with him, I felt it wasn't worth asking. About a third of the light bulbs were out in our room (although the owner fixed that).

Breakfast is a cold breakfast and not a great one at that. Fruit and cereal. We came down late one morning and asked the hostess if we could get a quick bite (like toasting an English muffin with butter type of bite). Although the toaster and English muffins were literally right in front of us (like awkwardly "right there" in front of us), she said that we had gotten down there too late. I mean we would have been glad to do it ourselves...

Overall I would give it a C or C-. There are places close by (e.g., next door, Surfside Inn) that look much more promising. This is actually my first Tripadvisor review. For some reason I felt compelled to urge future Montaukers to try to find another place before settling for this.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for one of the upstairs rooms.
6 Thank Louis F
MontaukSwimfin, Owner at Sunrise Guest House, responded to this review, 1 September 2012
Sorry the aboveperson did not enjoy his & her stay.I will try to answer the points mentioned.
On their arrival we were shopping at BJ's in Riverhead for supplies for the Guest House,in the summer everday is like the week-end.Got back at 7;30,Showered & went out to dinner.Their name was on the chaulk board Room # 2(which many people request over & over) Key in the door. The next day"not morning",Louis asked if we served "lunch" it was 12:30My wife told him
everything was put away & that Surfside next door serves a nice lunch.
We serve a continental breakfast from 8am to 11am everyday as advertized & written on the chaulk board.That week-end continental breakfast consisted of the following:
Blueberries,strawberries,Mango,Honeydew & Banana's -2 cold cereals Cherrios & Wheat Chex
instant oatmeal,English muffins,Whole Wheat muffins,Bagels,Raisen bread &hard boiled eggs.
2 different butters,smart balance,Philly cream cheese & 3 different Jams,coffee,tea & OJ.
We advertise a continental breakfast and I sit in the dining area,read the paper,& watch to see
when more coffee is needed.I don't know how Louis could miss me & I try to say good morning to everyone that comes down for breakfast.
We get a lot of repeat customers and quite a few request room#2 because of the mix of antiques
and new furniture,plus the south & west view of the sea.Each room is different w/sea view.
Louis is right,we need to add conditioner(my wife brings her own when we travel,she only uses Aveda) &I should check light bulbs more often,but usually it is more noticed by customers.
I'm sorry Louis did'nt mention that we use Ralph Lauren bedding.
We try to make everyone welcome all the time,but obviously it did'nt work for Louis.
Have a nice Day, Jim, " Owner" Sunrise Guest House
Durham, NH
Reviewed 21 August 2012

There are only 4 rooms which are quite different? The value during the week for the small rooms is good. However prices for the suites are high on the weekend and a bit over priced. There are nice features, such as a beautiful beach being across the street, where you can sun, swim, walk or run, there is use of a communal refrigerator and the guest house has beautiful antiques. The inn and the rooms were all clean. There is also a lovely porch in the front of the inn and there is a nice living room in which to sit but it has no AC. The coffee is good.

We were in one of the suites where the AC did not work and the room had an attic effect leaving the room at about 86 degrees, hotter than the outside temp. The first day and night we couldn't sleep or even be in the room and were prepared to cut our trip short and leave, but the owner was able to switch us to a room with AC and the next few days were wonderful.

The in is on a busy street and if windows are open you will hear road noise not waves. There is a water view from the upstairs room.

Wi Fi worked intermittently only on the first floor.

Best rooms are # 2 upstairs or #1 which is on the bottom floor, cooler, and has a private deck.

Jim is very knowledgable about the area and has good restaurant recommendations

Room Tip: Room 1 or 2 are nicest. Best value are the single rooms, while small are nice. Room 3 gets hot. Sinc...
3 Thank Adams
Rhinebeck, New York
Reviewed 12 August 2012

My husband and I recently stayed in the Sunrise Guest House for 5 nights. It was the most relaxing vacation. This house has beautiful views of the ocean from the veranda, and their guest rooms.
I was also impressed with their fresh fruits served for breakfast. We had the opportunity to share interesting conversations with the other guests. Sipping our morning coffee, and viewing the ocean in the morning sun, was an unforgettable moment. We enjoyed Montauk, but also had opportunities to visit East Hampton for shopping, and Sag Harbor for interesting evening restaurants. The owners Jim, and Gabriela were very nice. Thank you Jim and Gabriela for making our stay very comfortable. We cant wait to return!

2 Thank Tanya_and_Brad
palermo
Reviewed 6 August 2012

we were at Sunrise Guest House from july 31 to august 3 2012.the place looked and offered exactly what i expected.Everything was perfect starting from breakfast which is very rich in fresh fruit and everything.else you can eat or drink for breakfast until night when you can view the ocean and the moonlight from your windows all night or get deep sleep.we were in room 3 ,front view.,a delicious flat with spacious bedroom and living and an as delicious bathroom with a fantasticshower.The owners,though we usually dealt with Jim welcoming,helpful for any inconvenience.i was so fascinated that i am planning to go next year but this time for a longer stay..Believe me it's paradise,and as uncontaminated.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple