“Not many updates in 25 years....”

Daunt's Albatross Motel
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
Northport, New York
“Not many updates in 25 years....”
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I have been coming to Daunt's for the past 25 years, but I think I am finished. There have been few updates in all these years. Came out with my daughter recently for a much needed (and not easy to afford) vacation for 4 days. Everything was just so old. I was willing to just deal with that given I would not be spending that much time in the room. Then we went to put our clothing in the dresser drawers which smelled of urine!!! It was just awful. I must say that when I addressed it the next morning with management we were upgraded to a much nicer and bigger room. Still, there was a gross blob of some orange glue or something in the shower and tiles were off around the edge of the shower stall by the floor. There was a dead bug on the coffee tray on the kitchen table.
Yuk!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Reviewed 31 May 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at Duant's for Memorial day weekend along with two of our friends. They stay on the East side and we stayed on the West. The east is far more updated then the west as far as inside and outside the room and the East didn't have any of the problems listed below besides nasty service!

Our room had two twin beds, the room was damp, musty and smelt like it had been closed up for years....almost all the furniture in the room was broken including the blinds! The chain to the toliet broke and cause the toliet to run all night! Lucky my boyfriend was able to fix it after sticking his hand into the corroded water. Also there was no hot water at night and during the day the water would go from extremely hot to freezing while you showered. No hair dryer! The pool was empty and the "ice maker" outside was a dirty white cooler! The west end is located across the street from the memory motel/bar which blast music until 4am so don't plan on sleeping early!

The customer service at Duant's was also extremely lacking...I booked over the phone.....and called a week later to find out if there was a microwave in the room of both mine and my friends, the women was extremely bothered by my phone call and gave the wrong information....I was told I only had a coffee maker turned out I had an entire kitchen was stove and all....wHen the toliet broke they offered a plunger but not assistance, the room service folded our dirty, wet towels instead of giving new ones ....they yelled at us for checking out early but late because we had an extra day but couldn't stay! Ohh and thin walls!

Your practically on the beach so if you don't plan on spending time in your room and aren't disturbed by many thing go ahead and try your luck!

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank luvbeach22
New York City
Reviewed 30 December 2010

This is a great little motel very close to the beach and within walking distance of several restaurants and bars. The prices are very good compared to similar hotels in the vicinity. It was a bit noisy at night - we could hear some partying from a bar nearby. Our room was small and pretty outdated but charming none-the less - sort of retro & unpretentious. This place is not fancy or luxurious but it was quite clean and comfortable and the location is great. I would definitely like to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MadelineNewYorkCity
NYC
Reviewed 5 October 2010

Do yourself a favor and skip this one.We stayed at the east section of this motel. It's old, it smells like mildew and have really really thin walls! Beds are hard and altogether uncomfortable. The only thing that is going for it is the location. We checked out Sole east beach close by and will be staying there next time!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank THEOUTDOOR
Reviewed 10 September 2010

Showed up with wife and two kids and they told me I reserved a one bed room when we specifically asked for an efficiency room. Place scammed us to get us out here then told me I am stuck with this reservation. A room with one bed the size of my kids room. People could care less and said it was our fault. Place sucks and once they got your money you are out of luck.

• Stayed September 2010