“Stayed here Christmas weekend. The neighborhood is fine.”

Ramada Long Island City
Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Long Island City
Hopkins MN
“Stayed here Christmas weekend. The neighborhood is fine.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

My girlfriend, her 10 year old daughter, and I, stayed at the Ramada L.I.C. over Christmas weekend. We drove in from Cleveland with a rental car. We were able to park it on the street in front of the hotel for most of our stay. I did have to park on the next street over a time or two, when returning from an outing. I've seen reviews that state that the neighborhood around the Ramada is a bad and scary neighborhood. Nothing could be further from the truth. For first time NYC visitors, it may seem like that, because they think Manhattan when they think NYC, scenes of Central Park, Upper West Side, etc. Long Island City Queens is an older blue collar neighborhood in Queens, very close to Manhattan and the Queensboro Bridge. Near the Ramada, there's a Sheraton Four Seasons Hotel, and a fancy new Holiday Inn. These hotels wouldn't invest in real estate, if it was a dangerous high crime neighborhood surrounding them. Subway stop was 3 short blocks up 39th Ave.

Room Tip: Kid activities, is a silly review for this hotel, because it's a crash pad for tourists visiting...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Allentown, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

We stayed at this hotel one night, and when we got home we realized we left our phone charger in the wall. From the time we left the hotel until we arrive home was about two hours. We have stayed at many hotels my Husband being a Pilot and me a Flight Attendant, and it happens, however, the response we received was horrible. When we called to ask them to check the room, before my Husband could get the words out of his mouth She stated "the room has already been cleaned and nothing was found". She never once said she would check with housekeeping, just kept saying the room was already cleaned.

IF THEY WOULD STEAL A CHEAP CHARGER WHAT ELSE WOULD THEY STEAL??? DON'T RISK IT THERE ARE OTHER HOTELS IN THAT SAME VICINITY....DO NOT STAY THERE.

P.S. THE FRONT DESK CUSTOMER SERVICE WAS ALSO HORRIBLE!!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tpanford

Travellers are raving about these Long Island City hotels

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2011

No complaints about this hotel! I went to NYC during the holiday season when the prices of every other hotel in Manhattan has sky rocketed. Fortunately I got an EXCELLENT price at the Ramada Long Island.

We arrived at the hotel at 6:30AM and after our travels - we were hungry! They have a complimentary breakfast from 6AM-10AM, so we were lucky enough to have a quick bite to eat. Although the food selection is not the best, we were just happy that it was free! Free WIFI and computer use AND free breakfast in NYC?!?! ...UHHMM... AWESOME! Also, Coffee is available 24/7 in the lobby... and again... its FREE! Small eating area, so we ate in our room... (It is easier if you bring the tray from your room downstairs to bring up your food!)

Since check in time was at 3PM, we left our luggage with the hotel - you can leave your luggage in the lobby (it is safe). We wanted to freshen up before we hit the town before our check in time (they have a washroom downstairs). My boyfriend forgot his toothbrush, so we asked the front desk if they have one we can buy and he gave us one for free! The front desk and staff were very helpful (we always had a question or a request, they were always very helpful). We did not have a Manhattan View room the first night but since we had a VERY minor leak in our washroom they moved us to the Manhattan View room on the same floor, we were very appreciative. Beds were very comfy and clean! Fridge included in the room too.

The neighborhood is kind of sketchy but the location of the hotel is very accessible to the subway. You can take the N or Q from Queensboro Plaza which is a 10 minute walk, or you can catch the subway from 36th Ave, which is also approx. a 10 minute walk. There is a convenience store a couple minutes from the hotel on Crescent St. that closes at 10 PM.

Overall - great service, great price and great experience this weekend!!!! I will definitely come back next year, same time to get the AWESOME room rate during the holiday season!!!

Room Tip: Make sure to reservce the Manhattam Skyline View!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank gagagurl
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2011

The hotel was very nice! We went the weekend before Thanksgiving to celebrate my aunts 40th b-day. We had a standard two double bed room with the normal accomodations. The room was rather small, but everything was up-to-date, and we slept comfortably while we were there. The continental breakfast was fine except for the bagels appeared to be really old, which obviously the staff does not supply fresh ones on a regular basis. The orange juice was really "sunny delight", which wasn't a huge deal but some folks would probably prefer the real orange juice. The staff was very attentive with assisitng us with questions and concerns. The ironing board was broke in the room so I called down to the front desk to report it. They came right away and brought us a brand new one. We requested a number for the taxi service to get us to the airport the next morning and the staff offered to call for us. The only downfall is where the hotel is located! It's says Long Island City but it's really the Queens neighborhood which is not good at all! The train was only 4 blocks away, which you can see it from the hotel. We inquired about our safety to a police officer and the train attendant, which they suggested to be back at the hotel no later than 8:00p.m. So we did not feel safe walking in the neighborhood based off of that tip. If we got back late from the city we just utilized the taxi service. However, the next time I decide to visit NY I will just spend the extra money and stay in Manhanttan because my safety comes first!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank T_Smith2011
Trinidad
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2011

Visitor from Trinidad and Tobago. First time hotel stay in NY and one that will not be forgotten. Overall stay was 14 nights. The first 11 were quite comfortable, rooms clean and view on floors 8 or higher recommended. City view preferred. Carpets were a bit dirty. It appears like indians from India ( Pakistan ) with franchise to operate hotel . Definitely untrained in guest services and international standards in providing that all round positive customer experience. Job is routine and robotic. Hospitality average. Nothing impressive to want to go back. Breakfast was "ok" but repetitive , same serving day after day. Middle age man in breakfast area cannot smile , very serious and unapproachable. Although breakfast is paid for as it is included in the price per night, you are made to feel as if it was a favor to hotel guest as this character stands an look on at guest at the breakfast table. Somewhat of a tyrant mentality.
The experience took a 180 degree when I requested extended stay. The person I dealt with - a man in his late 40's ( am guessing) was helpful. I can actually see some effort on his part to make my extended stay possible. He even went th extra mile by phoning another nearby hotel for accommodation as he claimed the hotel was fully booked and unless someone canceled the room and floor I was requesting extended stay would have been possible. That was totally understandable but nevertheless he made some effort to provide a positive outcome to the request. The booking was then made as he claimed an online booking was canceled. Documentation completed and signed with credit card authorization form . I was due to check out December 1 but wanted to extend until December 4, an extra 3 days which cost $448.35 with a "so called" managers discount/special. For this price I requested a room on level 8 which I was currently on or higher as the rooms were a little bigger with better views.
On December 1 , my check out date , I approached the front desk to inform of my reservation and to confirm which room was now available. The person at reception was not the same gentleman who made the booking and filled all the paperwork including credit card authorization. I was now interacting with Tisa who , on previous occasions was quite pleasant.
Her entire demeanour that day was very different. I inquired about the reservation and was informed that there was nothing on the system. Shortly after I was informed that the said reservation was located on the said system . I was then asked for my credit card . I told the her that the paperwork was already filled out including credit card authorization which I familiar with as I had extended once before so I was quite familiar with the routine. In a loud and rude manner Tisa replied " Sir I am not seeing any paperwork here and we work with a system and there is no authorization and I will need your credit card to book the room " . I then informed again that the documents were completed the day before. In an aggressive manner she began pulling desk drawers where documents are kept. At this time her anger increased as the document was not located and her voice raised to informed me of her findings or lack thereof. At this time the hotel lobby where other guest were sitting for breakfast and other inquires were all now aware of the nature of my inquiry as Tisa's reaction to this entire incident created an uncomfortable public display. I was humiliated as a paying guest and was made to feel as if I was making up a story with regards to the paperwork already being completed. She eventually called the gentleman who actually made the reservation and eventually found the completed documents. All this could have been avoided if some initiative and common sense was used to call earlier. All conversations between the two individuals were spoken in Hindi - indian language - but body language displayed by the individual spoke volumes as to her anger . The hotel lobby guest were all looking toward our direction as to the display of behavior as she now passed the telephone to me to speak to the gentleman who made the reservation. With no uncertain terms I informed him of her behavior and attitude toward solving this matter and assigning the appropriate room on a level to which I was assured before the booking was made as the cost per night was exorbitant. This was not delivered as a room was not available on the floor I initially requested. This resulted in another confrontation as she audibly spoke in high tones that no room was available until the following day when this was pre-arranged. I now had to settle for a smaller room on level 6. Her entire tone and body language made the entire stay unpleasant as I was made to feel like the " help" rather than a paying customer. Luckily , most of her public display was recorded on my mobile which I intend to make available on youtube to warn potential travelers of this sheep in wolf clothing. The exterior will never read this surprising behavior. I am of the strong belief that she was not properly trained for the job and should not be placed in such a position so as to provide negative feedback to what could have been an overall pleasant stay. I asked for the manager and she exclaimed " the managers not here " . I was given the name - Mr . Shah to whom I can forward an e-mail. I further understand that he is her spouse. No surprise . You tube and facebook , here we
go !!!!

Room Tip: 8th floor or higher w/city view.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family