“Somewhat disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Latham
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Somewhat disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

I booked a three-night stay at this hotel after reading all the great reviews here on TripAdvisor. When we checked in, about 6 p.m., we were given the keys to the room but when we went inside, it hadn't been cleaned or the beds made from the last occupant. The girl at the front desk was very nice and gave us another room, but we found out that every time you flushed the toilet it would leak at the base, making the bathroom floor almost constantly wet. The room had a musty smell most of the time, which I attributed to the leaking toilet. Also, the design of the bathroom was odd - when you opened the door, it came within a quarter-inch of the toilet bowl. My daughters wanted to use the outdoor swimming pool and the area around it was dirty - cigarette butts scattered around the concrete, and the lounge chairs or tables hadn't been wiped down or cleaned in a while. The room itself was quiet and the breakfast was really good, but overall I was disappointed due to the sparkling reviews here.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
bergen county new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

I gave the Clarion Hotel an excellent review, because the beds were very comfortable, the service was excellent and the complimentary full breakfast buffet was excellent. I have family in Albany and will definitely stay at this hotel again. Please note: I am particular about the hotels I stay at. Number one being, "Do I feel safe here" are the rooms clean and how is the service and food. Stayed here for my brother's wedding.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

Visited here in early November on a stopover from Ontario to the Canadian Maritimes. While I use Choice hotels extensively I havent visited many Clarions. The last one in Orlando was no great place, but this one was a very pleasant surprise. Ambience in the rooms was very nice.... nice beds, nice trim, nice bathroom, very clean. The only thing was little but it stuck out like a sore thumb.... the wallpaper in the bathroom around the toilet was ripped and missing... seems like a simple repair to me.... What a wonderful breakfast in the morning, with an immaculate young hostess looking after us.
One thing I thought a bit confusing is that due to this being part of a complex that may or may not have other hotels associated I was uncertain when I arrived that I was at the right location. The Clarion sign is up at the street but you have to drive down and around connected builidings to the back, at a lower level to reach the hotel. Down there the sign says just The Century House Hotel... and doesnt mention it being the Clariion. We in fact drove around looking for the Clarion, not knowing we had reached it. A simple little Clarion sign near the historic hotel name would be nice.

For sure this will be a hotel that we will return to!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

Great friendly and pleasant atmosphere. Excellant free breakfast. The restaurant was fabulous with friendly staff. Food was decicious! Rooms clean and comfortable. We enjoyed the 1/2 mile nature trail. We were there for a wedding which was perfectly arranged and more than met our expections. A good time was had by all!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
columbia maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2011

Sat at the bar had some drinks and food, at this point have been on hold for a hamburger for ever. Hope it is worth the wait. Nothing at this place is cheap, thought I was back in DC, this is upstate New
York after all. They do a lot of functions ie weddings etc. the hamburger was good and would rec it.

Thr hotel changed my room from a suit to a king but did not inform me

• Stayed October 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Latham
1.0 km away
2.3 km away
La Quinta Inn & Suites Latham Albany Airport
2.3 km away
TownePlace Suites Latham Albany Airport

Been to The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!