All reviewsdelta bluemain streetlimited parkingdouble doorsmemory foamsitting areamirror lakehotel lotcentrally located hotelwalls are thincan't beat the locationmiddle of townbusy weekendhear everythingclean towelsthe wi fipull out sofa
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Was rated as a three-star hotel so I booked it. I would maybe give the room itself to 2 and 1/2 stars at most but the rest of the hotel looks and smells 100 years old. The porch of my room was out to the parking lot with trees covering it. Felt unsafe stepping onto it was old and shaky. definitely not go back. Unless you are in the historic old hotels and enjoy a musty smell. The staff was okay. But this hotel should not be listed as a three-star.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Pam S, Front Office Manager at Hotel North Woods, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2017

Thank you for your comments and I sincerely regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We are actually a historic hotel; one of the oldest in the village of Lake Placid. We have done an extensive amount of remodeling in the rooms, and continue that work in other areas of the hotel. We are working to add modern touches without losing our historic charm. I'm sorry that that's not the type of hotel experience you were looking for. We describe the balconies as having a woods/forest style view. All of the lake and village views are visible from the rooms on the opposite side of the hotel, though none of those rooms have balconies as yours did. I will forward your comments about the balcony to our maintenance department so they can look into the best way to repair/remodel that space. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us to continually improve the quality and services we offer our guests. We hope that you will give us an opportunity to welcome you back and show you a true Hotel North Woods experience.

Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

This hotel is in the heart of town. Really good location. We felt the hotel could use a freshen up. A little worn and rusty. Elevators were a bit dirty along with the balcony. Ate in the restaurant Delta Blue. Do not recommend at all. Food was bad. Music was awesome both nights we stayed. Recommend the music. This area is absolutely beautiful and worth the trip.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback about the hotel. While we have completely remodeled all of the guest rooms other areas are still "in progress". I will forward your comments about the food in Delta Blue to our Food & Beverage manager, but I am delighted that you enjoyed the music during your stay. We take all guest comments sincerely as they help us gauge what we are doing right, and areas we can improve upon. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope that you will join us again next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

Hotel has spent a lot of money on the rooms which because of the style of building and layout are bigger than the norm. You pay a premium because it is Lake Placid and an additional premium because of the location. Lobby is tired and without any character, restaurant is meah. Staff friendly and place is very clean. Beds very comfortable.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed our fantastic central location. Thank you for your input about our lobby. It is actually something that we are working on updating, just like we did with all the guest rooms. We are glad that you enjoyed your interactions with our staff and amazing Tempur-Pedic beds. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us to gauge what we are doing right and areas we can improve upon. Thank you for choosing Hotel North Woods and we hope that you will come back and stay with us again next time you are in Lake Placid.

Reviewed 1 September 2017

My husband and I recently vacationed with friends from Belgium after our daughter's wedding. The plans were made well in advance to visit Lake Placid. A 3 night reservation was made on April 9, 2017 for 2 rooms. I was unable to reserve 2 identical King suites so one was Lake view and the other a corner room with balcony. We gave our guests first choice and their lake view room was lovely...don't hesitate, these rooms are worth it. Upon reaching our room, we realized we were on the opposite side of the hallway...not a good thing...the balcony would be overlooking the parking lot. For the small price difference, not worth it. Go with the lake view room. After our long drive, we decided to take our wine onto the balcony. Upon opening the door, we were met by a man on a scissor lift making repairs to the building. He was having an argument with a co-worker and we had to hear every colorful word! When we complained, we were told the hotel was sold out. We could not change rooms but they would adjust the bill by 10%. After the early morning hammering and having to leave every shade pulled like a dungeon, we decided this was not ok.

Cons: When there are "many nice" hotels to choose from and you spend hard earned money, you expect the hotel to be as advertised when you made that choice. It should be a place to relax and sleep after enjoying all the outdoor activities in the Adirondacks. Having booked the rooms 4 months in advance, it was disappointing to not be given notice of the construction being done outside this room. We could have canceled free of charge up to Aug. 20th, but when arriving on the 23rd we are now "held hostage" to this reservation. All our choices are gone. We have arrived to a full hotel and all our research of other hotels is at home.

When you advertise a corner room with a balcony, having just booked a lake view room, I assumed (shame on me), a small lake view on this room. It would be helpful to mention in the room description that the room is on the backside of the building.

PROS: We had stayed at this hotel about twenty years prior for hockey and appreciated the renovations. The rooms are large with a separate sitting area consisting of a couch, 2 small tables, a bar, frig and microwave. There is a Keurig with coffee provided daily. The King bed was super comfortable.

Location is in the heart of Lake Placid right on Main Street. Convenient to shops, restaurants, bars, etc. There is so much to do without getting into the car. We even rented kayaks at EMS and they put them out the back of the store into Mirror Lake! The front desk is very helpful and there is complimentary coffee/tea all day in the reception area.

CONCLUSION: In life, things go wrong, stuff happens. It is how we are treated, how people handle these things that makes all the difference. The night manager, JP, was receptive and willing to listen to our concerns. He came up with an offer that we felt was fair. Thank you. We would definitely stay here again but reserve a lake view room.

Stayed: August 2017
Pam S, Front Office Manager at Hotel North Woods, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share you recent experience at our hotel. I would like to apologize for the construction that you dealt with while you were here. That was not an anticipated project when you originally booked your stay. I am sorry as well about the confusion about the room configuration and location in our hotel. We have 8 different room types- 4 of which have king beds. I am not sure where you originally booked through, but the King suite with the balcony should have been described as having a woods/forest view. We do not have any balconies on rooms that face the village. I sincerely apologize that the issues with the construction crew detracted from your stay. I am so disappointed to hear that they were carrying on like that within earshot of the public. That is not the type of image we like to project here. I am glad that J.P. was able to assist you satisfactorily. We appreciate your valuable insights as comments from guests like yourself help us to improve the guest experience. Thank you for choosing Hotel North Woods and we hope that you will come back and stay with us again next time you are in Lake Placid.

Reviewed 31 August 2017

Hotel North Woods has potential to be a great hotel...they have two wonderful restaurants downstairs, they are located in a very convenient and central location and most of their staff seem to be very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, a number of things are holding them back. First off they have a very slow turnover rate for their rooms. Their check-out time is 11am but their check-in time is 4pm giving them 5 hours to turn over any occupied rooms. I visited with my family for a wedding in the area recently and they were unable to provide early check in which does happen from time to time but is quite rare in my past experiences especially when dealing with a hotel with such a late arrival time. Once we were checked into the room we noticed quite a few issues...for one, our sheets were stained with multiple brown stains (we let the staff now and it was quickly resolved thankfully), our woods view room was a dumpster/parking lot view room and our bathroom was infested with little gnats that flew all around our vanity area. The staff seems to hang around the dumpster area to take smoke breaks in the parking lot so we treated to a constant flow of conversation through our air-conditioner not to mention the noise of cars pulling in and out and guests conversing by their cars all hours of the day and night. Speaking of the parking lot…it is horrendously tight and it is first come first serve so you are not guaranteed parking if you are a guest at North Woods. They do state this on the website, but it is very inconvenient especially when traveling with young children and elderly individuals. The hotel has terrible insulation so you can easily hear all other guests in nearby rooms and of course outside. A noise machine is a must if staying here. I think this place has potential but I would not stay here again in its current state.

Room Tip: try and stay in the front of the hotel, not in the back facing the dumpster and parking lot
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Tim R
Pam S, Front Office Manager at Hotel North Woods, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2017

Thank you for your comments and I sincerely regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We work very hard to provide all of our guests with an exceptional stay and I regret that we failed to meet your expectations. Our housekeeping staff works very hard to turn the rooms over as fast as possible while still effectively cleaning all of the rooms. I'm sorry that you felt they should have been able to have your room ready faster. Early check-ins are always subject to availability, and in your case we were unfortunately unable to accommodate your request.
We are a historic hotel, but we have done a tremendous amount of remodeling including completely redoing all the guest rooms and adding Tempur-Pedic beds. Modern-day sound-proofing can be very difficult in such a historic hotel short of making the rooms smaller to accommodate additional noise suppression materials. I apologize that peripheral noises detracted from your stay. We continue our renovations to other parts of the hotel. We continually strive to improve the product and services we offer our guests, and comments from guests like yourself help us to gauge what we are doing right, and areas we can improve upon. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will consider choosing Hotel North Woods again the next time you join us in Lake Placid.