“A Special Dish....but an Up Charge?”

Mama Riso's Restaurant
Ranked #32 of 171 Restaurants in Lake George
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 25 August 2018 via mobile

My wife and I travel to Lake George from our home in the Buffalo area each summer. However, we're originally from the Albany area. One of the Italian dishes we used to love before moving to Buffalo is "Veal and Peppers." We haven't really found anything similar in Buffalo. While looking as to where we should dine one of our nights in LG, I noticed that Mama Riso's had this dish on their menu. Let me tell you, it brought back memories of our days in Albany. The veal was tender and very flavorful. The sauce was also very good. The only thing I found a little peculiar was the veal dishes all came with spaghetti, while all of the chicken dishes came with zita/penne. When placing our order, both my wife and I requested zita as our pasta choice. We were informed there was a $1.00 up charge to get zita. I can't understand why as there shouldn't be any difference in the cost or preparation of the two pastas. The price of the dishes was reasonable, so we paid the up charge. I have eaten in a lot of Italian restaurants over the years and this was the first time I had to pay for a different type of pasta. Other than that one weird quirk, we had a very good meal and will go back next year.

Reviewed 16 August 2018 via mobile

If you want a great meal, this is the spot in Lake George. It was Italian the way it should be - delicious marinara, giant meatballs, tender veal, and the best Eggplant Rollatini I’ve ever tasted. Service was polite and efficient. Recommended!

Reviewed 13 August 2018

We asked bus-boy (w/glasses) for our waitress because other diners who entered later were being served before us. Upon return to restaurant the following night, my wife found hair in her food. She asked bus-boy (happened to be the same kid w/ glasses) to please get our waitress. He said, "Why are you so rude to me? You were rude to me last night, too." Astonished, we proceeded to have a very un-enjoyable dinner. The appetizer had hair in the food. Becuase we were so upset, we dared not report it. But then, hair in food in the mani course as well. After dinner, I spoke to bus-boy, whose only reply was "OK"; no apology, no explaination, nothing. I spoke with Manager (owner?) who offered a gift certificate which I refused. I didn't complain to "get something out of it", I complained so this rude behavior and unsanitary condition (hair in food twice) doesn't happen to anyone else. Too bad, the food is very good (minus the hair in it).

Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

Great place
The Eggplant appitzer and the mussels is amazing.
Staff is friendly , great for a family dinner .

Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

My wife is a vegan they went out of their way to prepare a meal she could enjoy and my dinner was equally delicious so good we went back the same week