“FANTASTIC”

Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kerhonkson
Reviewed 5 January 2013

I am a regular up there and I have seen so much improvement. As for the people who say that they don't take care of their horses are dead wrong. Did you ever think that they are thin for a reason? With certain things horses get thin. I hate to hear that people think they are abusing these animals. I know for a fact that they LOVE LOVE LOVE all these horses there. I see it every time I go up and even make surprise visits to them in the barn. Horses may come and go there but they are treat with RESPECT more than I can say of some people. If you really want to find out why some of them are thin then ASK! Don't assume that they are mistreated. Get over yourselves. With Mikey O as foreman and Christina as assistant foreman things are on the up and up. Mikey has done an exceptional job with what he has been doing down there. I can't say enough on what he has done and will do in the future. As a matter of fact I can't wait to go up in March. We are not "blind" like some people think we are. Every day that I'm not at the ranch I wish I was. For horses are much more intuitive and friendlier than most people think and don't judge by looks of things but what's on the inside. So think of that the next time you want to post something negative about something you don't understand. That is ignorance.Yes it's your opinion but your not trying to sway people to not go. Let them go and find out themselves. I get ripped when I see things like that about this place and NO I DO NOT GET PAID TO WRITE THESE REVIEWS AS SOME PEOPLE THINK.

Room Tip: Depends on how close you want to be to the front lobby. I prefer the Dakotas but I also love the Mon...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Sage45
Owner-Pinegrove, Owner at Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2013

Thanks for being one of our "Regulars" at the Ranch. We think of you all as part of our extended Pinegrove Family! Your statements about "thin" horses is something that goes away with education. Our herd is loved by our wranglers and guest as if they are 4 legged children. When I visit my mom, I often think about the care & love given to our horses that have reached retirement age. She is in her mid 80"s, fraiil and has a hard time getting around, much like some of our oldest horses. These horses are not being riden, just enjoying a well deserved retirement. Our wranglers look for companion homes for these horses but many folks do not want the medical related cost of caring for these beautiful horses at the last stage of their life. We know that they are being treated with care and love...just like my mom.

See you soon,

David O'Halloran

Write a ReviewReviews (1,178)

Reviewed 4 January 2013

Well where do I start? Professional and respectful staff whether it was at the front desk, bar area, sign-up locations, bingo etc... Rebecca and Barbara were both very informative and helpful over the phone. Daily events were pre-planned at the front desk for all guests, which made our day easy and stress free to plan. I did personally meet the owner, David who greeted us with a smile and a hand shake. If you want to take a pleasant vacation that's dedicated to fun for all ages, this is the place. An owner and his Ranch/Resort that doesn't operate based on greed, but has passion for what he does. Pinegrove is reasonably priced especially for all the accommodations that come with it. Their stables and horses are well taken care of and the wranglers are highly trained. We really enjoyed the instruction of Gloria for Line Dancing in the "Bull Room", we learned more with her in an hour then at the places back at home. The ice skating rink was a blast. For us our night ended with laser tag then a bon fire followed by an entertainer in the "Bull Room"(we had a wildlife exhibit-it was awesome). If your looking for a get-away with a significant other and/or the kids, you won't be disappointed. Furthermore, I would like to show my gratitude for the owner, David for his support for the "Sandy Storm" victims by rooming them at his resort to rid the chill in their bodies by the fire in the lobby and freeing their minds with laughter. Lastly, for his continued support of all members of the United States Military by offering discounted rates for all those who serve.

Room Tip: The staff is great, just tell them what you are looking for and they will gradely direct you to what...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sal L

Hey, I recall having the honor to speak with you for a few minutes when you were checking out. All of us at Pinegrove appreciate your kind words, but more importantly, we THANK YOU for your service to our country. Young men & women like you, sacrifice so that families like mine have the opportunity to strive for our own American dream.

Hope to see you again at the Ranch, stay safe.

Reviewed 4 January 2013

Just came back from Pinegrove, where we spend 3 nights and New Years.
A nice place but desperately needs some upgrading. We had 2 kids with us, they loved everything, the pool, the horses, the sheep, the one chicken in the world that can be padded :).
The food was good. I wish they had a salad bar and some fruits for the kids. That would have been great. We actually drove to the little town to get apples and oranges.
Our waiter in the restaurant was horrible. he was always missing.. someone always had to take over for him.
The Italian pasta place was great. What a great idea. Great service there, the food was fresh and very tasty. You need a reservation.
I would recommend this place, however, I wish they upgraded the bathrooms. They are still from the 1971.
I also went for a hot stone massage. Great!!!!

Room Tip: Our room was Wayoming, nice location. Close to the pool and the deli.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kamila123
Owner-Pinegrove, Owner at Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2013

Thanks for being our guest and your comments. The Wyoming Rooms could use some TLC in the bathrooms. We have done 6 of the 30 rooms in that wing this year, new granit vanities, sinks, tiles, etc. It is our goal to get many more done in 2013. All of our renovations are done "in house" without staff, using a portion of each check-in bill to make Pinegrove a little better each day. Dakota, 24 Rooms, has been completed and now we will work on the remaining rooms. Unfortunately Hurricane Sandy, has changed some of our priorities. All of the internal building damage has been completed but we will have to address the damage to all of our roofs this Spring.

Trust that we take your comments seriously and will address each concern in time.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

I have been going to Pinegrove Ranch for almost 25 years. It all started with my oldest daughter who adored the place and now with my younger ones (teens now). This was our first trip in the winter. We have been there for all the holidays throughout the years, so we decided to try New Year's weekend for a change. We were not disappointed. As usual, there were tons of daily activities and entertainment which, by the way, is all included in the price. You have Horseback riding, heated indoor pool, miniature golf, hay rides, snow tubing, ice skating and so much more (it would take up too much space to cover them all). The food is amazing. If anything, I think they over feed you. We tend to skip lunch so we can enjoy our breakfasts and Dinners that much more. Free cocktail hour (coketails for the kids), which also has snacks included. There is a snack bar that is open all day except during mealtimes. If you want to sleep late, you can always get something to eat from the snack bar. If you have kids, you don't have to worry about the kids getting bored. There is literally tons of things to do. My teens love going there also because it is a safe, fun place. They like to pretend they don't know us while we are there. They make friends fast and hang out with the other kids all day. I find it is also a beautiful place to take photos and go on nature walks (yes, even in the winter, as long as you bundle up). You will not be disappointed!!!

Room Tip: I personally prefer the Montana or the Dakota rooms. Santa Fe should be good too. It is far enough...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank shortysmom411

Thank you, 25 years of thank you! The joy of working at a ranch is see previous guest return. It makes each of us that work at the ranch feel a sense of pride. Our goal has always been the same- family fun, casual ranch vacation at affordable prices. Guest come the 1st time to experience something different, they return because its a good value.

Big Thanks,

Reviewed 2 January 2013

I was glad I read many reviews before going here, it seemed that the older ones were particularly poor but some of the newer reviews were good so we gave it a chance and are happy we did. Our rooms in the Montana section were fine, very spacious for large families and somewhat updated, however my extended family stayed in the Nevada rooms and didn't have any positive things to say about the rooms there (pay the upgrade you'll be happy you did!)The activities kept us so busy we never even unpacked all the new Christmas games we brought along. The staff for the most part is friendly (the front desk may not seem it if you catch them at a busy time, but they were helpful). The food is pretty good with a lot of variety (if your looking for gourmet this is not the place for you! The snack bar that serves all day burgers, hot dogs and ice cream was a huge hit with everyone. Our party of 15 ranging from age 4-67 all had a really good time. If you keep in mind this is a Dude Ranch not a 5 star hotel and are OK with that, you'll have fun. I have been to Rocking Horse Ranch many times and tried Pinegrove because RHR prices are out of control (over $2000.00 for 2 nights for a family of 6) We had just as much fun here as we did there and the bill for all of us was still under $4000.00. I would have enjoyed staying an extra night just to have some down time in between all the fun activities and will probably do a 3 night stay if we return in the future.

Room Tip: Montana rooms are quieter and more updated. Nevada rooms need new beds, updating and a good cleaning...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Beth S

Thanks for being our guest! Our maintenence staff has been busy renovating rooms. Dakota, Santa Fe & Wyoming have had nice work done in the last 12 months. Hopefully we will get to Nevada & Montana in the months ahead. Please ask for a Dakota room on your next visit; new beds, furnture, flat tv's & granit vanities.

Thanks again,

David O'Halloran

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kerhonkson
12.7 km away
33.3 km away
Cold Spring Lodge
Cold Spring Lodge
#2 of 2 in Big Indian

Been to Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!