“Nicely renovated hotel with poor front desk service”

Holiday Inn Johnstown - Gloversville
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Johnstown
Sylvania, Ohio
“Nicely renovated hotel with poor front desk service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2011

Let me begin by enumerating the good points about this hotel. First, the entire hotel has been completely renovated and the rooms and bathrooms are very pleasing to the eye as well as clean. Each room has a small refrigerator and microwave, very handy. There is a large pool on the grounds, good for family fun. Additionally, this is a full service hotel so it is not necessary to leave the hotel for food or bar service.
The negative points about this hotel pertain to management and check in. When I reserved my room I asked for a first floor pool view with two queen beds. At that time no one explained to me that this area of the hotel was reserved for pets. I found this out upon check in. I have asthma triggered by cat dander so I asked for another room. There were no rooms available except a king with a pull out sofa. When I asked if they could exchange my queen room for another queen room I was told that I had reserved a first floor room with a pool view and that was all that was available. Keep it or take a king was my choice. When I pressed the issue, I was told that it was a weekend and everyone had already checked in early. There was no room available to exchange with. Consequently, my 6'2" son slept on a twin pull out sofa, not an ideal situation. If it were truly the case that everyone had checked in early, I would not be upset. But, because we were part of a large family gathering, I spent a great deal of time in the lobby area socializing and saw numerous people check in. This hotel gets a 0 for service.

Room Tip: Avoid first floor with a pool view unless traveling with a pet.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Jan185

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

While we generally prefer the Holiday Inn Express line of hotels, because the Holiday Inn versions are more expensive and provide less value for the money, this particular location reversed this convention. Everything here was A-OK from our family's perspective, and provided us a great respite after many days in the mountains. While we didn't get to try the pool, the amenities in the room were more than adequate. Additionally, the restaurant was not bad, especially after all of the Priority Club discounts were applied.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2011

The rooms are new, well-appointed with quality materials, comfortable beds with nice linens and a variety of pillow choices. The restaurant's food was excellent! Best French fries, fresh fish, fresh veggies. Cool copper hood above fireplace in diningroom. All the staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2011
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

Very clean and nice hotel, staff is helpful. Room we got seemed brand new, bathroom and beds were clean. Only downside is that breakfast is not included, and the staff at the restaurant were OK, but not super friendly. I would definitely stay here again, it's worth the price.

Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Fort Myers, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2011

The customer service at this hotel is despicable. I recently stayed here for my fathers memorial. I had three rooms booked under my name and 7 other guests staying there. My 75 year old step mother was not able to stay the 2nd night that was booked and the Manager made me pay for the room! AND they sold the room to someone else and got DOUBLE paid for the room. My brothers room the microwave did not work and they would not do anything, the staff was unattentive. When we tried to have breakfast we were told that there was only one waitress and could not accomodate a large party. Three rooms were to be pool view rooms and you could not see the pool. It was a horrible expierience at a very delicate time for all of us and they made it worse. Go to Microtel!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank vm803
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johnstown
1.3 km away
16.8 km away
Super 8 Amsterdam
Super 8 Amsterdam
#1 of 2 in Amsterdam

Been to Holiday Inn Johnstown - Gloversville? Share your experiences!