“beautiful, unique house, gorgeous view”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Stone Quarry House

Hilltop House From The Pond
Stone Roof and Chimney of the Hilltop House
Hilltop House Deck And View
Hilltop House Main Cabin East Side
Hilltop House Main Cabin West Wall - Sofa With Deck To The Right, Wood Stove To The Left
Hilltop House With Queen Size TempurPedic Sleeper Sofa Set Up in Main Living Cabin
Hilltop House Kitchen, Sink, Fridge/Freezer, Microwave and Countertop Oven, Induction Burner
Hilltop House Main Cottage Lights Designed and Crafted by Master Blacksmith Duran Van Dorn
Hilltop House Sleeping Cabin Exterior
Hilltop House Sleeping Cabin With Queen Size Bed
Sandstone Shower In The Hilltop House Bathhouse
Hilltop House Bathhouse Stone Sink
Hilltop House Sunset View From Main Cottage
Post And Beam House Exterior
Post And Beam House TempurPedic Queen Size Bed, Cantilevered Stone Nightstands Windows Looking West
Post And Beam House Second Floor East Side Cozy Corner Chair Becomes Comfy Twin Size Bed
Post And Beam House Living Room From Upstairs, Sofa Opens To Become Very Comfortable Queen Size Bed
Post And Beam House Living Room, Corner Table Opens To Seat Four With Two Chairs and Two Stools
Post And Beam House Looking Upstairs From Living Room
Post And Beam House Staircase To Second Floor and East Entrance
Post And Beam House Kitchen, Fridge/Freezer, Range and Oven, Dishwasher, Sink. Dishes, Etc. Provided
Post And Beam House Bathroom Sink
Post And Beam Bathroom, Toilet and Washer/Dryer, Shower to the Left (Not Shown)
Tower Cottage Showing Balcony
Main Living Area Of The Tower Cottage, Dining Area on Left, Kitchette on Right, Sitting Area Center
Tower Cottage Bathroom, Glass Tiled Shower on the Left, Stone Sink in Center, Toilet on Left
Tower Cottage Second Floor Bedroom and Cantilevered Stone Stairs
Apartment Sink and Toilet
Apartment Tub/Shower Seen From Bedroom Entrance To The Bathroom
Owners, Buzz and Nancy in the Canary Islands
Main House Garden Entrance
Main House Front Garden Gate, Designed And Fabricated By Master Blacksmith Duran Van Dorn
Main House Root Cellar
Patio With Weber Grill, Near Stone Cottage, Tower Cottage and Apartment
Patio Garden for Guests With Tomatoes, Basil, Peppers, Mint, Stevia. Parsley, Thyme, Sage, And More
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available
Overview
Condo/Apartment -
Studio, 4 Bathrooms, Sleeps 4
Ithaca, Finger Lakes, New York

Reviews from our community

Excellent - based on 45 reviews

Reviews from our community

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Any
Kathy C
Philadelphia
“beautiful, unique house, gorgeous view”
Reviewed 9 September 2015 for a stay in July 2015

We couldn't have been more satisfied. As soon as we entered the gate of Hilltop House (at Stone Quarry House) we knew we were in a special place! Gorgeously layed out series of 3 cabins consisting of a living cabin, sleeping cabin and bath cabin, all appointed beautifully...and then we saw the view! Perfect and we do hope to return.

2 Dec 2015
I'm glad the hilltop house worked for you - I also love those views! Thanks for sharing your experience so potential guests can have a better idea of which space is right for them. Though I don't get much opportunity to visit with our hilltop house guests, I hope you'll be able to return to Ithaca and stay with us again.
damiller5...
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Home away from Home”
Reviewed 3 September 2015 for a stay in September 2015

The Stone Quarry House is a great place to stay. Great location, comfortable and relaxing. We always plan to stay at The Stone Quarry House when in Ithaca which is 3-4 times each year. Great owners who make you feel like a part of the family.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Travelling group: Solo
2 Dec 2015
We are so happy to have you and your family stay with us while your student is at Cornell! As a graduate myself, it is nice to see students who are dedicated to getting the most out of their time there. It's always nice to see you, and we look forward to your next visit!
Miriam T
Brooklyn, New York
“Consistently fabulous accommodation.”
Reviewed 3 September 2015 for a stay in August 2015

My family and I have been staying at home the Stone Quarry House for many years and have always enjoyed a restful comfortable stay. We have stayed at three different spaces there, but have most enjoyed the apartment for our accommodation. Every detail is taken care of for a relaxing stay.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
2 Dec 2015
Miriam, thanks for your kind words! It's been wonderful seeing your children grow up! I know it gets harder and harder to coordinate everyone's vacation time, but I hope we'll be able to host your family on future visits to Ithaca.
VH55
Boston, Massachusetts
“Beautiful, comfortable, and clean”
Reviewed 19 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015

My husband and I, along with our 17 and 19 year-olds spent 4 nights of our recent vacation week at the Hilltop House comprised of 3 separate buildings, atop the hill giving us amazing views of the valley and surrounding hills.

Two of us slept in the main cottage on a very comfortable sleeper sofa; there are no curtains and large windows, but it still seemed very private. And the other two slept in the bedroom cottage. The third building is the "wash house" which has the shower, sink, and composting toilet (no flush). There is decking that surrounds the main house and connects all the buildings, so walking outside to use the bathroom was not an issue, even during a rain shower. Plenty of very nice towels of all sizes are provided and the bedding was very comfortable.

With both gas and charcoal grills outside, along with a small refrigerator, electric tea pot, large toaster oven, microwave, french press coffee pot, plug-in electric cooking surface, and plenty of dishware, glassware & cutlery, we were able to cook some meals and enjoy the vistas. There are no spices, cutting boards, or many special utensils, so if you plan to cook, you either need to pick some up in town or bring your own. There was one stainless steel pan and electric egg-cooking device as well.

Even with road construction going on down at the bottom of the hill, it was a very peaceful and relaxing stay with a short car ride into downtown Ithaca or to surrounding local attractions.

Cleanliness Service
21 Aug 2015
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay! Storage space in the kitchen is limited, so we've tried to be careful about only putting the most useful items in the kitchen area. But if anything else would be useful - please let us know! We have duplicates of almost everything available upon request - a Breville juicer, pasta machines, a crate of spices, teas, different coffee makers, crock pots, pressure cookers, a bread machine . . . just let us know what would be useful. ;-)
Susanne B
Ithaca, New York
“Relaxing and peaceful”
Reviewed 12 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015

Spent 5ds at the Stone Cottage. Peaceful, tranquil, & relaxing.One room (small bathroom closet)--but it's large, has a king bed w/extremely comfy sheets & pillows, jacuzzi tub with rain shower head- which got a lot of use after local hikes through waterfalls/state parks, couch which i think pulls out to a bed, 4 wooden/leather chairs,small apartment style fridge, microwave (took me a while to figure out how to use it), fireplace (did not use), ceiling fan , window air conditioner, small bathroom sink, ironing board/ iron, clock radio, closet, desk of drawers, and small tv. Includes silverware, wine glasses, coffee cups, plates, bowls, salt/pepper and I think i saw a hotplate and coffee pot. They even offer two bathroom robes like a luxury hotel. Plenty of soft bathroom towels, handcloths, one kitchen towel. Think 'loft' but in the country. Not much privacy inside if you had a family (no where to change clothes and the jacuzzi tub is in the same room as everything else), but it was PERFECT for me as a solo person looking for solitude. Uplighting in corners and a beautiful stone lamp in seating area. It is on a gated lot with other rentals (tower cottage and apartment home as well as main house is in same area- however, i never heard anyone except the crickets waking me up in the morning and some construction on the road during the week- which is obviously not the fault of the owners). The parking and outside seating/grill/pond area are 'common areas'. I thought I'd be bothered by the other rentals so close, but it wasn't an issue. The stone and slate inside the home is georgeous. It can be rustic and you can see some 'criters' around such as house spiders and some cob webs, but it's built in the ground, so it really made it even more realistically wonderful and definitely not the fault of the owners.The home owners left me to my privacy but answered all of my questions quickly and efficiently. They answered the phone anytime I called. If i were being picky- the only concern i have is that the rental is based on length of stay, so if someone is staying longer, you may be bumped to another rental on the property. They keep you on one of the 4 properties so you have a place to stay, and this worked out in my benefit and we communicated throughout the process, but if i were a 1-2 night rental looking for a specific property (they are all uniquely different) I would want a confirmation on that specific property. (i'm sure they could work something out in communication-- as i mentioned, it worked out for me but confirm what you're renting and the rules prior to making the decision). There are a lot of nearby things to do, I hiked at Watkins Glen (very crowded), Buttermilk Falls (lots of stairs), and Robert Treeman (I enjoyed this one). My favorite was taking a book to Lake Falls (on corner of Lake and Falls Roads). It was a 5 minute walk and was not crowded. I sat very close to the falls and read for hours. The water was so loud that even when others came by, the water tuned out anything else. I also went to the NASCAR race in Watkins Glen, walked over the pedestrian suspension bridge and drove through the covered bridge near by. I enjoyed seeing all of the 'dolllike' houses with their ruffled shingles. Overall i had a wonderful time and am thankful for renters like this who open up their places to make a vacation more memorable.

Value Cleanliness
Travelling group: Solo
21 Aug 2015
Thanks for leaving such a detailed review! I love to hear your insights and I'm glad you shared them with other travelers. :-)

We usually have three wooden screens in the stone cottage to set up around the tub/sink area to create a bit more privacy. A new housekeeper had removed them before your arrival, but they are back in the stone cottage now.

With stone construction an occasional spider does get ahead of us and I find cobwebs sometimes. Our cleaning staff works on it, but as you note, the stone cottage is pretty 'close to nature'

I agree that the policy of offering extended stay reservations the first choice of location can be unsettling if you have your heart set on only one place. All four spaces can accommodate four, but each is unique. Unfortunately, we can't guarantee a particular space, but we do our best to see that each party can stay in their preferred location.

We always guarantee one of the four spaces on the property once a reservation is confirmed. We make changes as seldom as we can, but it can happen on occasion. We alert effected parties immediately and offer them their choice of available locations or a full refund and assistance finding alternate lodging. All four spaces can accommodate four, but each is unique. Unfortunately, we can't guarantee a particular space, but we do our best to see that each party can stay in their preferred location.

Thanks again for a complete and thoughtful review!
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing