All reviewswatkins glenwine trailbooks and magazinesupstairs suiteelectric fireplaceoverlooking the lakesouthern charmwine tastingshort drivelittle touchesstayed two nightspenn yanpatbrendacottagewineriesfuton
Reviewed 18 October 2017

Stayed two nights in two rooms (me in one room, my parents next door) and we had a wonderful time. I feel like this hotel is the epitome of "you get what you pay for." Rates were very fair, but no, it's not a fancy city hotel. My room was quite large (small-ish bathroom) and very clean and comfortable. The grounds were nice with lots of seating overlooking the lake. The owners were very friendly and accommodating, but not around 24/7, which is certainly to be expected. We requested an air mattress and Brenda brought it and tons of extra bedding and set it all up. We all slept very comfortably. We would definitely stay here again if visiting the area. (Note that the address on this site is accurate, but GPS might send you to the wrong place. Or maybe that was just me!)

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
PHoke, Owner at The Savannah House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2017

Erin we so enjoyed you and your parents during your recent stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to seeing you all again soon. Best regards, Pat and Brenda

Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

The place was cozy, the rooms clean, and the owners friendly. I had a couple of minor suggestions to improve future guests which were received graciously. Please update the listing as DVD players are not available in the rooms. Our room had a difficult to use doorknob that may need to be replaced. While the room was smaller than a hotel room, it was comfortable. The room has satellite tv which is a convenience that hotels do not have. Please be aware that this location is about 15 minutes from Watkins Glen. I liked being farther away from the hustle and bustle of downtime. But is you are looking to stay closed to downtown Watkins Glen, this is not the place for you. I would stay here again if I am in the area.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
PHoke, Owner at The Savannah House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

We greatly appreciate your review. It will prove helpful to others wanting to know more about our location. Your helpful suggestions were well taken and should help us create an even better experience for future guests. Thank you for staying with us, and for taking the time to write. We look forward to your next visit. Best regards, Pat and Brenda

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

We reserved 2 of the cottages( I stayed in Seneca) and the cottages are actually 5 miles away and in a different town! Upon reserving,the credit card was charged the entire amount. We never received a confirmation email or directions. The cottage is very dated and decorated in 1970's yard sale. The bedrooms were so small there wasn't even room for a suitcase! At $400 a night we felt totally ripped off. The inn was no better. We questioned Pat, the owner, regarding lack of soap,tissues, etc. he stated that was explained in the email he never sent. He then had the nerve to tell us to get soap at a store 5 miles away!!! Absolutely could not believe he could not even provide a bar of soap!! I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cheryll363

This guest reserved 2 adjoining cottages - Seneca and Wild Flower - one lake front and the other, lake view - during peak season. When they did their reservations online, the system and the web site provided information re their reservations and the policies for those rentals. Our cottages were redone in a southern cottage decor - very similar to 'shabby chic'. These cottages have received very positive reviews for years, particularly about the decors and the high degree of cleanliness. Our motel is an 8 minute drive from these cottages, but these guests came to the motel instead of their cottages, and were redirected to the cottages - 8 MINUTES AWAY. All reservations are charged on the day the booking is done, and our cancellation date is 1 month prior to the arrival date. So when a reservation is done within 1 month of arrival, naturally the full amount is charged. Guest failed to note that the '$400' rate was for 2 cottages - not just 1 - which is very reasonable for lake cottages in peak season. Further, guests are responsible for anything disposable or consumable - like soap, detergent, paper, plastic, charcoal, etc. That's pretty standard practice for cottage rentals around this area. Further - both cottages have hot tubs, which is not common for cottage rentals. These cottages are about a 5 MINUTE DRIVE to the nearest town, where there is a 24-hour super market, several restaurants, gas stations, shops, and a movie theater. Very few cottages are this convenient to shopping. Our policies and all information/photos about our cottages and the motel are clearly presented on our site - and other partner sites that we use. Unfortunately, some people do not read all or part of what is presented, and the first indication of that is when they show up at the motel instead of the cottages. Fortunately this rarely happens. Perhaps 2 or 3 times a year a guest will mistakenly come to the motel. Normally these guests are redirected to their cottages without any inconvenience, because most guests are traveling north and they pass right by the motel on their way to the cottages - 8 MINUTES DRIVE further north.

Reviewed 5 July 2017

I booked a bachelorette party that was supposed to be held in August 2017. Due to money issues, the bachelorette party needed to be held elsewhere because not everyone was able to pay me. I canceled the stay in February (which is 6 months in advance) and had to keep calling, and facebook messaging until April to receive the refund for the first 1/2 of the payment. Also, when I spoke on the phone with the owner, Pat, to cancel the stay, he was very rude and unprofessional and said that he will give me my refund when he gets to it. Now it is July and I noticed that $1900 was charged to my credit card from the savannah house. They charged me the second 1/2 of the payment after all of the calling and emails I had to go through to cancel. I have emailed, called, and facebook and still have not heard anything back AGAIN. I am so done with this place. If life throws you a curveball and changes need to occur, this place is horrible. They are rude and unprofessional when it comes to having to return money. I will never make a recommendation to anyone to stay at this location.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Summer H

Much of this review is true. Reviewer made a reservation for her group well in advance, and eventually she advised that she would have to cancel the rooms, massages, and private limo wine tour that she booked. She is correct that she paid a deposit of half the total when she reserved - the rest being due 1 month prior to the arrival date. Later - well after she had cancelled, about the time that the balance would have been due, we did mistakenly do a charge for the full amount. In the early spring, when she cancelled, I was called out of state for a family matter, and was not directly involved with the business. We did have 2 new people we had just started training to handle reservations, but they had not completed their training when I had to leave. This is also the time of year when we do most of our reservations - so we may average about 80 calls a day, plus 30- 40 emails/day. The new people tried their best to keep up with these requests, including the reviewer's. When they had an issue they had difficulty, I tried to help. This reservation was one of those. After speaking with this reviewer, I asked someone at the motel to cancel the reservation, and refund her deposit. I thought that was done. Much later, when I was able to get fully involved, I learned that the refund had not been done - and worse yet - we had instead charged the rest of the balance. Eventually we were able to figure out how all this happened, and it was because one of the new persons was having trouble keeping up with the demands at that time - and thought that she had done the right thing. Obviously it was not handled properly, and we regret that - and apologize to the writer. I also apologize if I was a bit impatient with writer when I had to intervene. I was quite stressed by the family matter, and with our employee's inability to help writer. We did refund any money writer paid us in full. We hope writer will give us another opportunity in the future to make it up to her and her friends.

Reviewed 15 May 2017

The cottage is an old trailer that they have decorated very nicely. It was clean and inviting with an electric fireplace going and soft music playing. One of the bedrooms has a futon for the bed which is really too small for 2 adults and not very comfortable. On the plus side, the linens and towels were fresh, clean and new looking. The next morning mouse droppings were found on the kitchen counter, stove top and in the silverware drawer. We cleaned up the surfaces and washed everything before using it. We felt like we were camping. It was in walking distance to the lake and the hot tub was nice to have. Location for doing the wine trial and visiting people in Penn Yan was perfect. I would have given it 3 stars if the cost reflected age and condition of the "cottage". The mouse droppings really put it at a 2 star. The owners appear to be doing the best they can with what it is but I would recommend lowering the price or putting some money into it to warrant what they are charging.

Room Tip: Very quiet area when we were there. Watch out for mouse droppings.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank SalPel
PHoke, Owner at The Savannah House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2017

We appreciate guest's comments and suggestions, and we're sorry our cottage did not meet guest's expectations. All cottages and motels are located in a rural area, surrounded by countless acres of grapes and farms, and because of that all places occasionally have to deal with mice. It's fortunately very sporadic and usually caused by the weather [we have had an unusual amount of rain this spring] or activity in the vineyards [this time of year the vineyards and farms are being prepared for the coming season]. Nearly all guests come from more urban or developed areas, and sometimes they respond as this one did, because some are not used to living in an area like this. But for many, the charm and attractiveness of the Finger Lakes is that it is not developed. We take our reviews seriously and try our best to be responsive. This cottage is situated on a huge beautiful property about 100yds from the water, and only 5 minutes from the nearest town, both of which are considered a major plus. It shares the property with a very large 200 year old historic mansion which we are fixing up. Over the years, many people, because of the location and historic significance, have approached us and asked us if we would sell them the property, which we have no plans to do. Our guests have much privacy and peace. As for the age, nearly all cottages on the lake are about the same age, but many, like ours, have been remodeled and upgraded. All appliances, including washer and dryer, are about 1 year old or newer, and in excellent condition. The eat-in kitchen and bathroom are modern and in excellent condition. The TV is a new large flat screen model, and the cottage has high speed Internet. Each year we make new repairs or upgrades. This week we are replacing the 2nd bed to a more comfortable one. Generally our guests, as did this one, comment on the care and cleanliness of our properties, and how well they are decorated. The living room, for example, has very comfortable leather furniture not normally found in cottages. We do listen to our guests in order to determine where we need to improve, and we will do the same in this case. Hopefully guest will stay with us another time. We did refund one day of their rent for any inconvenience they experienced, which they failed to mention. They were very satisfied when we did this. At the time guest was there, they did tell us about the mice issue, and we offered to have someone come out to help them, which they declined.