All reviews stay there again room was clean continental breakfast bathroom fixtures working order no elevator walking distance flat screen front desk staff a great place to stay cadets refrigerator thayer cleanliness convenience ny fishkill
Reviewed 15 March 2017 via mobile

Older hotel but we were in room 321 and it had been renovated recently. The room was very large. The bathroom was small and the sink is in the bedroom area. Outside entry with a key that looked like the old computer punch cards. It didn't work very well. Neither gentleman in reception was very personable but they were fine and efficient. I actually think it may just be the norm in the area as most people we greeted on the street didn't speak.

Breakfast is a true continental breakfast - bagel or muffin, juice, and coffee. The breads were fresh. No place to eat them except back in your room. McDonalds very close by if you want more. We also are at the Mexican restaurant across the street and it was fine.

I'd definitely stay here again if I needed a hotel close to USMA. It's not fancy but it was clean and comfortable.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Mary P
Reviewed 10 February 2017

Made reservation for 10-10&12. Not happy to pay for a room sight unseen, On arrival, went into the lobby manager he wanted to see credit card and my service dogs papers. Showed him the animals registration card, he wanted his papers. I told him that was impossible, they were kept is a safe. Well he gave me a key and told I had the handicapped room on the very end. Opened the door and although very clean it was hard to get about. It was cramped and when looking for a power outlet there was only one on each wall. Had to change tings for my C-Pap machine. Wife went to take a shower. No reg shower, bur one for a wheel chair. Turned it on, no hot water, ran it 20 minutes, still no hot water. Called the lobby, was informed that it was the last room on the building so let it run. Tried to use it and the water started to run into bedroom. Didn't use the shower. wasn't a positive experience. When checking out, no positivr attitude from clerk. No how was your stay, just a leave the keys on the counter response.

Stayed: October 2016
1  Thank joseph h
Reviewed 17 January 2017 via mobile

This motel is very close to the Army Academy which is why it is still in business and likely why the owners do not care to update it.

I read many reviews before choosing and knowing it was not updated, at least the reviews indicated it was clean which is all I thought I cared about for our one night stay. We chose it mainly due to location (close to Army Academy at West Point) and because clean.

To be honest, it was hard to tell if it was clean since the room was so outdated (70's retro) that there were permanent marks that very well could have been dirt and I would not know. Many things looked deteriorated such as the ceiling in the bathroom and the wallpaper in the room. Holes in the blankets!
Even so, I assumed it was clean and planned on a good night sleep. HOWEVER, all night long there were banging and tapping noises coming from the walls where the beds were. These were annoying and constant tapping throughout the night. That coupled with the noise from the road, we could barely sleep! I had even thought to bring a noise machine and had it pretty loud but still did not help.

Also- our rate including a small breakfast which is prepackaged food items like bagels, muffins and other danish type of junk. No fruit or anything remotely nutritious. At least there was a nice sized fridge.

Bottom line - noisy night's sleep, outdated, close to WP academy.

If in need of a room in the area, the Thayer hotel is about $100 more per night but in my opinion, worth every penny! There are other chain hotels within 30 minutes. Just check TripAdvisor for other suggestions.

Sorry to give such a poor review, I dislike doing these but felt the need to as I was not as well informed by the reviews that I read and based my decision off of.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank AddieAid
motelguy102, Owner at West Point Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2017

We are truly sorry you had issues during your stay with us. In the future, if you have problems with a property, ask to be switched to a different room or request a full refund for your accommodations. We would have done either. Regarding that noise: this building has cast-iron baseboard heat and when the pipes heat and expand, they sometimes do make that noise you mentioned. Regarding road noise, we would have moved you further from the road. Lastly, we offer just a continental breakfast. And just that. Nothing fancy but enough for the majority of our customers. Sorry if we disappoint. We would have made suggestions for full breakfasts in the area.

There was one comment that I need to express our displeasure with. That we are still in business and the owners care not to update their property due to the fact they are close to West Point. Nothing could be further from the truth. Actually, this building is staled for upgrades in a few months.

We are a small, independent business that is just trying to survive. In many ways, it's coming more and more difficult dealing with the general public. Your review reflects this point. All we can do is do our best and that, I promise, we will continue to do.

Gus C. Koutsourades, Owner/General Manager, West Point Motel, Inc.

Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

Stayed here last night to attend a family wedding in nearby bear mountain. We checked in prior to the wedding and basically just glanced at the room before leaving for the wedding. We had two rooms, one for my husband and I and one ADA room for my mother. At first glance the rooms were spacious and clean. My room was a bit too warm but as the temps were due to drop into the teens, we decided to deal with that later as it would be nice and warm when we returned.

Cons: while the ADA room was spacious and the bathroom was fully accessible, the ramp to get up to that row of rooms was very long and steep. A part of the ramp consisted of broken gravel. My mother walks with a walker and is unsteady even with that so it was very hard for her to get up and down the ramp. Then after that, the room was about 8 rooms down from the ramp, which meant another long walk. It would make more sense to have the ADA room closer to the ramp. She also complained that both beds were like "sleeping on a park bench" because they were very hard and lumpy.

My room: same issue with the beds. I felt like we were sleeping directly on the sidewalk without even a sleeping bag. My biggest complaint was that the heat was apparently broken. The thermostat was in the off position yet it was registering as being 90 degrees in the room all night. There's something wrong when you sleep in 20 degree weather with both windows wide open all night just to be able to breathe (there were no screens in the window which freaked me out too). We didn't complain at night because we didn't get back from the wedding until after 11:30pm

The following morning I mentioned the issues while checking out and the woman didn't seem to care at all. Her response to the heat was that she would have someone check it. The response to the uncomfortable beds is that some people like them that way. Not even a single apology. Between both rooms, it costed me nearly $240 after the taxes. Complete waste of money. We came home and slept most of the day because we were exhausted from no sleep. I nearly suggested we pack up and come home at 3am. Definitely would NOT recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank reeree3182
motelguy102, General Manager at West Point Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2017

Dear "Never again":

Needless to say we were very disappointed with your review. I would like to respond to a number of items in your review.

The condition of the ramp will be looked into. Unfortunately, concrete repairs in the dead of winter pose a problem but rest assured come warmer weather this issue will be addressed. The location of the handicap ramp is to the left side of our "C" building. You are right, it would take about eight rooms to get to your ADA room. However, we did have a similar ADA room right next to that room but it was already occupied. Otherwise, you would have been assigned the one adjacent to the ramp. Heat in your room: This building has hot water cast iron baseboard heating in all the rooms. Cast iron heats up very fast and stays warm for a very long time plus all our rooms are very well insulated. When I was notified of the problem after checkout, I inspected the room, temp was set at 72 and room was at 72. Bed comfort: very rarely do we get "concerns" regarding our bedding. We are sorry it was not to your liking. Bedding here is regularly inspected, rotated and replaced on an ongoing basic.

Finally, I highly recommend one of our neighboring hoteliers on your next visit (if there is one) since you were so displeased with our property. Your satisfaction is always our number one priority.

Sincerely, Gus Koutsourades, Manager/Owner, West Point Motel, Inc.

Reviewed 15 December 2016 via mobile

The WP motel was very convenient for my daughter and I when we attended West Point for a Cadet Candidate visit. The motel is close by and allowed late check in as we drove from Ohio. Breakfast available early, although we left to be at Academy before breakfast, there was coffee and pastries already set out. Thank you!!

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
motelguy102, General Manager at West Point Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2016

Thank you very much for your objective review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. We are glad that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay with us. Please visit us in the future as we continue to improve our accommodations to our loyal guests. Happy travels and all the best!

Gus C. Koutsourades, Owner/Manager, West Point Motel, Inc.